Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: netting vedder canal  (Read 27090 times)

dobrolub

Re: netting vedder canal
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 11:04:13 AM »

That's where the new Fraser Fishing Alliance might be of help if enough people become members. Sport fishing needs an organization to represent its interests.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »

It's a six day opening and the practice is being allowed day and night in the section of the river downstream from the railway bridge in Yarrow. There's nothing wrong with the opportunities given considering how many sockeye salmon we are seeing coming into the river this year, but the methodology needs to be reviewed I think.

Was there a DFO Fisheries Notice issued for this particular opening on the Vedder? I tried to find it on the DFO site ( http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm ) but was unsuccessful.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »

I've looked for the fishery notice but it's not in there. I don't understand why it isn't. Instead the opening information is on the Lower Fraser First Nations communal opening times page.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »

I'm no expert on the subject, but is it possible that the picture is of a seine operation?  The seining I have observed (in the ocean) generally involves laying out the net straight across the school's travel path, waiting for fish to hit the net, then bringing the end around to circle the fish.  Couldn't that be what they are doing here?

Edit - I just saw the link Rod posted, and I see the opening is listed as "set net, dip net, drift net".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:48:05 AM by WAfishboy »

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

96XJ

GordJ

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »

Thats actually sad
Hardly sad. First Nations have been sharing the bounty of nature for a long time. It wouldn't be the first time that one group brought food that they had an abundance of to another group in need. Remember, Alexander McKenzie was fed by the natives in what is now Prince George and in Bella Coola too.
I was in the Interpretive Center in Teslin and saw the pictures and a short video of the celebration of brotherhood this event made possible. Both groups of Tlingit had a blast paddling, dancing, singing and eating together. It was more a "family reunion" than an emergency airlift from what I saw and there were a lot of smiles on everyone in the pictures. Just don't let the Tahltan men and the Tlingit men get together because they get along as well as the Bella Coola and Bella Bella men. At least that was what the Tlingit woman in the Center told us.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »

I find this opening very questionable.  First, the vast majority of Chilliwack Lake sockeye, the stock they are trying to harvest, have moved through the lower river now. Cultus Lake sockeye are however now migrating in this area.  The Sto Lo Tribal Council was very vocal in their attempts to have Cultus sockeye listed under SARA and were adamant there should be no harvest of these fish, anywhere.
I question if DFO knows about this ... if so, the whole Cultus Lake sockeye recovery program needs to re-evaluated.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »

Here is the response addressed in point forms from DFO regarding the concerns I brought up in the last post. This should provide a better understanding for those who are questioning the fishery.

1. DFO has been working with Chilliwack First Nations since 2012 on opportunities on the Chilliwack River. In recent years the fishery was confined to the area upstream of the DFO hatchery.

2. Catches in this area and the lake have been very low (in past years as well as 2016) due to the migration pattern of the sockeye i.e. they arrive at the lake and immediately go deep where they can’t be caught in the nets.

3. In 2016, due to the very low forecast for Fraser sockeye, DFO and First Nations have been exploring opportunities in terminal areas where abundance permits i.e. the Chilliwack, Harrison and Pitt Rivers.  No fishery has taken place on the Pitt and there has been a limited fishery on the Harrison.

4. The timing of the release of the Salmon IFMP, which has the details on the management regime, and the initiation of these terminal fisheries was tight and did not allow for broad communication regarding 2016 fishing plans. I understand some members of the Peacemakers have been discussing this fishery with the Chilliwack First Nations and may provide additional information to this group.

5. The low Fraser sockeye forecast means it is extremely unlikely the First Nations FSC harvest targets will be met this year and DFO has provided flexibility in fishing plans to access more abundant stocks like the Chilliwack.

6. In addition to the fishery upstream of the DFO hatchery, a fishing opportunity has been authorized for up to two set nets (anchored to shore on one end) to fish, one at the Highway #1 bridge and one at the train bridge downstream of that. This fishery is open until tomorrow when it will be reviewed and perhaps extended.

7. You may be aware that the Chilliwack First Nations traditionally fished on this river, continue to have an interest in reviving the traditional fishery, and as abundance increases as does their interest in fishing in these traditional areas, although likely with  more modern gear.

8. The timing of this fishery is to target Chilliwack sockeye and avoid Cultus Lake sockeye. We are nearing the end of the migration of Chilliwack sockeye.

9. Only one net has fished and it has fished at the Highway #1 bridge.

10. Catch to date from the river and lake is less than 500 sockeye and 5 chinook.

11. From the picture you sent, which is from the side of the river, it is difficult to see how far the net reaches. Attached is a picture from the middle of the river that shows the area which is open to allow for migration past the net. This is consistent with other terminal fisheries authorized in Pacific Region.

12. The nets are attended at all times and require the release of non-target species. This fishery is being both monitored and enforced.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »

Thanks Rod (and DFO) for the information.

When you have all the facts, suddenly it's not quite so easy to vilify DFO and the FN, is it Kingpin, Aaron and Rieber?

Or maybe, after you read those 12 points, you still disagree with the opening. In that case, then you are entitled to your newly-informed opinion.     

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 03:09:40 PM »

Point #8 is key.  I would bet most or all sockeye harvested (if any) in this lower river fishery are Cultus stock.  Lets hope the monitoring includes taking scale samples to determine stock origin.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 03:24:13 PM »

Do you drive to work in a horse drawn carriage? The law specifically assumes and allows improved technology for native fishing.

No I walk, because my ancestors were walking before the invention of the wheel. :P

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »

Thanks Rod.
Saves my 2 cents (or 1.7 American)

Drewhill

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 04:16:35 PM »

I've chatted with a few of the guys who have taken part in the nettings in the past and they've said it's barely worth their time because the amount of fish they get is so low.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 04:25:28 PM »

Thanks Rod.
Saves my 2 cents (or 1.7 American)

Dream on... try 1.5 American cents! LOL