Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Salmon for me (Keith wilson bridge oct 4th.)  (Read 5427 times)

Sinaran

First Salmon for me (Keith wilson bridge oct 4th.)
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:38:58 PM »

spent more than a month trying to catch my first salmon here in lower river but to no avail., i was a bit frustrated, to give another try before the season near the end, i decided to visit the river where most of the big shows took place, the vedder. 
headed out today, alone(how boring that can be driving that far alone) at around 7:30am and arrived at the KWB at around 9:30am. there were already about 20 fellow fishermen fishing just below and to the left of the bridge. that was the first time i was here~~very nice water level with decent water clarity, there were lots of springs surfacing and making splashes, a few hatchery coho struggling swimming close to the surface, pretty much coloured up though(very dark body). the DFO guy was checking from the bridge and see if there's any snagging going on.  i was fishing from the shore, using roes sac with float , fishing just under the bridge.  couldn't get any bite but snags after snags, lost two drennan floats in the first hour.  Changed my setup and tried spoons instead, 20mins into casting, foul hooked a humpy and that took me 20 mins to land it, guy fishing beside me was being so nice and netted it and released it for me. he was fishing with wool and into action just 5 mins after we released the fish, he foul-hooked a small rainbow about 5 inches  ;D  released it right away .no action for the whole afternoon all the way till around 2pm, where my hot roc spoon enticed a small school of pinks and a nice chrome buck took it. bam! fish on!  the fight wasn't as furious as expected, but all i cared was how to land my first ever salmon  ;)  took me about 10 mins to land it, around 7 pounds buck, barely humped up but found sealices around the belly though.  yeehaa~~   10 mins later i was onto another pink, a doe around 4 lbs, that took me 5 mins to land. a guy resting in the car came up to me and asked if i would give him the roes if he cleans the fish for me, sure i accepted the offer.  fished for another 20 mins got no action so i called it a day.  ( a day to remember )  :)   
not too much action other wise, a guy fishing at the beach caught a chum around 8 lbs(he claimed), i could even see the tiger strips from across the river, he didn't want it, but instead of nicely releasing it back into the river, he decided to just leave it laying and struggling on the beach  >:(  another guy just came by and asked and retained that fish. one other fisherman just few away from me caught a nice 35 lbs spring, took him half an hour to land it.  as i was leaving the scene i went over to check out his fish and found two springs in the sac......i thought only 1 spring per day is allowed :o   

after months of struggling in catching salmons, i finally caught my first two salmons ever. :)  yeah they are pinkies but i am like very satisfied with that, paid off for all the hard work and patience!  thanks guys and good luck fishing out! 
rod will post the pics for me. low resolution though, as i was taking them with my phone.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 07:40:45 PM by Sinaran »
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: First Salmon for me (Keith wilson bridge oct 4th.)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 07:59:08 PM »

Good to hear your hooked for life now. The seasson isant close to being done yet like you said its actualy just starting you can catch coho even during december i hear. Any pics of your fish?
[

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 08:13:40 PM »

yeah birdamn our secrete hole  ;D lol yeah the season is farr from over i got chrome coho in first week of december on the vedder. but had to get threw some ugly ones first. but i dont think that the main run has even started. this is like nothin compared to what begining of october is like. but nice to see you got some nice  ;D great to hear on you first salmon  :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:16:04 PM »

as i was leaving the scene i went over to check out his fish and found two springs in the sac......i thought only 1 spring per day is allowed :o   

You are allowed 4 springs, only one over 62 cm.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 08:22:49 PM »

That's not good. :(

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 08:24:30 PM »

Congrats on your first salmon, I'm sure more will come to you soon.
Fish on!

Sinaran

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 08:41:40 PM »

thanks a lot guys. :)   

as for the spring, yes, both r well over 62 cm, he was lucky to catch two of them, but i didn't think he could keep both of them.

Rod will post the pics for me soon.    ;) 
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

congrats on the salmon just think there more to come ;D

zimmer

• One Percent Realty Ltd
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 08:46:07 PM »

Sinaran

Glad you caught some fish

For more enjoyable fishing and less foul hooking fish further up river. KWB seems to attract a less than admirable crowd. Plus its shoulder to shoulder fishing under that bridge.

Just my opinion

Zimmer

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 08:50:20 PM »

Way to go.  It's all about putting your time in.  I do advise you to go somewhere other than the KWB.  While it's easy to see fish there, it's not the best place to land a fish.  Go up or down from there where there is plenty of room and beach to walk up and down.  My second piece of advice is to get another job.  The addiction just gets worse and more expensive from here on out. 

Sinaran

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 09:13:17 PM »

Way to go.  It's all about putting your time in.  I do advise you to go somewhere other than the KWB.  While it's easy to see fish there, it's not the best place to land a fish.  Go up or down from there where there is plenty of room and beach to walk up and down.  My second piece of advice is to get another job.  The addiction just gets worse and more expensive from here on out. 
no kidding dude.  at least few hundreds i've spent since i started fishing this year in june.  licenses, new rod, new reels, lines, lots of other tackles, spoons (where i lost a lot of them to the snags), puchased baits plus gas for driving and fishing around.  This hobby can get really expensive but hey, what the heck.  i love this game. :)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 09:26:44 PM »

yah i feel the same fishing can get quit expensive
crab cakes

Sinaran

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 09:33:46 PM »

more to come....    :-X

i found myself under-equipped today, with 7'ft daiwa graphite rod and shimano 2000 gpx reel with 8 lbs line, no doubt it took me a long time to land the pink.  i am actually thinking of getting a heavier action rod and reel for next week.....
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 09:42:45 PM »

Good move.  A 9' medium-heavy action rod for 10-20 lb test line will do you fine.  A little much for coho and pinks, but great for springs and chum in the vedder.  It doesn't really matter what brand you get, you'll find yourself upgrading as often as you can, even if you don't need to, (normal progression of the addiction).   

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 09:55:14 PM »

are they any main pools on the vedder like deep ones there used to be that pool right after the vedder crossing with the big rock on the far side usally fills with chums this year it doesnt look like its in the right currents or maybe the water is tooo low