Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steely on March 2nd (Vedder River with Pics)  (Read 5703 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Steely on March 2nd (Vedder River with Pics)
« on: March 02, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »

Well went out today at around 12 in the afternoon. Fished at Lickman road for about 2 hours along with many other anglers but no one was seeming to catch or hook anything. I talked to around 12 other people and no one had seen or hooked any so I decided to move on. Walked upriver for quite some time and walked past some very nice looking runs but had only one run in mind, a run where I was sure fish would be sitting.

I get there and look in the sand and see no new foot-prints so I fugure I'm the first one of the day, which I assumed was a good sign. I rig up my hook with pink and white wool, some shrimp scent, and a jensenegg and cast out. I take 2 casts and keep hitting bottom so I move up my float a bit and see some nicer water a little ways to my left and farther out. I take one cast through and get 2 taps, I assume they are bottom but decide to leave my float alone. My next cast I hear something behind me and turn around to find nothing is there, but all of a sudden my rod is shaking. I look back and my float is gone. I give my wrist a small snap and a fish jumps out of the water. I takes 2 more jumps and thrashes around a bit and starts off down river. I dont want it to go into the rapids below and apply some side pressure and surprisingly it stops! A few minutes later it comes to hand. It was around 12 to 14 pounds. Here are some pics of me with it on my lawn ^^ (Can't give away my spot) Well it's my first Steely of the year and my 1st hatchery ever! Thanks for all the tips every 1 gave me!

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Steely on March 2nd (Vedder River with Pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »

ya i saw you land it looked about 11-12 nice one.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »

Lol were you one of the spey-fishers on the other side of the river? I saw like 3 guys watching me.... I made a big mistake though, bled it on the shore line :-\ kinda stupid on my part, tried to clean up but still some visible blood  ::)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »

na i cant lower myself to spey fish... i was just casually walking by.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »

Your smile says it all. :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 10:43:47 PM »

Nice fish. Heard of a few caught today.

And don't worry if you bleed the fish there and think your giving away the spot. If 3 people (or more) saw you then word will spread. Next time you go there there will be 10 guys. LOL

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 11:01:40 PM »

Nice fish. Heard of a few caught today. And don't worry if you bleed the fish there and think your giving away the spot. If 3 people (or more) saw you then word will spread. Next time you go there there will be 10 guys. LOL

Dang lol.... normally there are like 3 other guys that know how to fish the water and were kind enough to show me how to as well. Most guys I've seen go there take like 5 casts, snag up, get frustrated and then leave so I have no complaints. And kingpin if you were on the dike you coulnd't have seen me landing it because I was above the where the dike ends ^^. (You almost got me to say where I was lol) Hopefully it doesnt get too packed out, I only fish a few areas b/c I go out mostly to relax, I dont even really care if I catch fish, just getting away from the house is nice, especially since I hadn't been out of the house for the past 4 days (sick with temp between 100-103) but was awesome to finally catch something.

daver

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »

nice fish dude, but i have to shake my head when someone says they cant give up their secret spot. its just fricken fishing man.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »

Congrats on your first hatch! That fish has one thick tail base!
weeeeeeeeeow!

coho_killer

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 12:50:57 AM »

nice fish dude, but i have to shake my head when someone says they cant give up their secret spot. its just fricken fishing man.
to you it's just fishing think about it if everyone posted on here and told others where they were catching fish it would be a gong show most of the lower river already is! Go fishing find your own holes and be happy when you find them!  ;)

CK

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:02:01 AM by coho_killer »
Wild fish don't do drugs!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 01:03:55 AM »

oh i wasnt on the dike. i walked right past you without you even noticing.

WT

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:45:30 AM »

nice fish!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:47:40 AM by WT »

fyrslyer

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

Time for someone to put a little time in on the river themselves searching a good hole or fishing spot instead of getting itrratated when someone doesnt tell you where they caught a fish, like it used to be before the days of fishing forums on the internet

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »

A very nice clean fish Every Day. I envy. ;D

Time for someone to put a little time in on the river themselves searching a good hole or fishing spot instead of getting itrratated when someone doesnt tell you where they caught a fish, like it used to be before the days of fishing forums on the internet

Keep in mind that there are anglers of all skill levels out there, from extremely experienced to those who are just starting out. This is always represented by the difference in opinion on the discussion forums. To some, a spot is simply a spot as they do not necessarily place fishing as an important activity in their lives as others may do. They go out with less expectations and are just glad to be outside. To some, fishing means catching so their expectation during a trip is much higher, and will guard their spots to maintain their success. Also to some, they want to catch fish, but enjoy the challenge aspect more so believe you are only fishing properly if you guide yourself to the fish. There isn't a good or bad way, they are simply different stages that most anglers go through. There is nothing wrong with letting others know about how you think fishing should be, please just do so in a constructive approach and respectful manner, otherwise it keeps the group divided and nothing good comes out from it.

daver

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 05:17:32 PM »

fair enough, i think it is sad that people feel they have to keep secrets, everybody has received tips and hints from other people, i just have to laugh when people feel they have to guard "their" spot.  i love fishing like the rest, maybe its just maturity, and i am sure things will change as people get older. peace