Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steely on March 2nd (Vedder River with Pics)  (Read 5722 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Steely on March 2nd (Vedder River with Pics)
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »

The seasoned rods will tell you that in a day they may bomb hundreds of casts to very tempting waters, only to result in one or two hook ups, often skunked. That is why we don't see Chris and his fish photo every day.  ;D There is no one spot which stays hot all the time. The Canal section was great when the water was really low and fish were bottled up there, but when the water rises, there are other better spots to fish then the lower big runs.

There are not many secret spots in lower river, because most runs are very accessible to the throngs of fishermen. That is why every body tries to beat every one to the spot by being there at first light. The mid and upper sections have more so called 'secret' spots. Not truly all that secret, just fewer people know how to access them. Some of these hot spots are resting pockets among fast waters and they can be a small spot. You can hook a steelie holding there usually within 3 casts. So when some one fishes it right before you, you have lost your chance to a fish holding there. You cannot say the same in some of the lower river runs. They are either too large, too long, or fish are more likely to be off bite due to too many things thrown at them and they can be more selective. How often we see a guy pick up a fish right after other people just fish the area? Too often.

This makes it not so big a deal to reveal where you hook a fish in the lower run. Another thing is that the lower runs may turn hot one day and dead cold the next. It all depends on where the main push of fish overnight happen to sit in the morning. So one morning, Lickman can yield 10 fish, and cold the next, while Train Bridge for example can turn on hot because the fish happen to stop there in stead of Lickman or other runs. Ultimately, steelheading is about luck on any given day, although skill and adapting to changing river conditon can turn luck into your favour often. My 2 cents on the subject.

well put.  that's probably the wisest thing that's been said....i've been out 16 times since january and hit dozens of 'secret hot spots', and all i've got to show for is one wild hen.  i've put in more hours of bushwhacking than fishing, but have yet to land my first hatch.
timing and luck is everything, but you have to put in the effort to be rewarded.  if you allow yourself to get frustrated, you might as well hang up your gear and wait for the springs to arrive.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »

Hot spots going cold from one day to the next are part of Steelhead fishing and always will be. I even realize this and I'm quite new to the sport. You can't let something like that stop you though. When I was fishing at Lickman for 2 hours Sunday and realized it was dead. I walked up above the bridge and hit a fish 2nd cast. It's all just luck, you need to find where other people have not been so far that day. I just keep walking and keep my hopes up, and for once, it payed off. Hopefully I only get better and, Im assuming the better you get, the more you'll get hooked on the sport. (And belive me, I've had plenty of "skunked" days where a guy walks in right where I was fishing and lands one the next cast... kinda suck sometimes lol)

mmmroe

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »

fair enough, i think it is sad that people feel they have to keep secrets, everybody has received tips and hints from other people, i just have to laugh when people feel they have to guard "their" spot.  i love fishing like the rest, maybe its just maturity, and i am sure things will change as people get older. peace
LOL.....I can point you to a spot..... go to any water that is about 6 inches deep with lots of twigs and u'll slay them......LOL......sorry j/j I kinda find that funny.....People can share whatever info they want........We hit the vedder a few times ...we did good each time out....The fish are everywhere! Just learn how to read water and put in your time.... Nice fish everyday.....congrats.....

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »

Hey, Maybe some of my luck rubbed off on you after you passed me. ;) Nice first steely now your hooked! I bet you were still shaking with adrenline while walking back home with that baby in your hand.  ;D
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »

Well I wasn't quite as excitied as I thought I would be... I was only shaking when I was fighting it then it died off right after I marked my liscence. Haul out was a bugger... over a few creeks and like 15 mins walk, but worth it ;) (I would def wanna do it again). Where were you when I passed you?.... I seem to have passed quite a few people that day lol, guess b/c I walked almost from the train bridge up past the Vedder Crossing, there were lots of people out Sunday. Hopefully I can get out this Sunday again when I get back from Whistler  :). Good luck on the weekend guys, I'll check up 2 morrow to see if any were caught before I leave!