Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bull Trout  (Read 4256 times)

Trout_Bum

Bull Trout
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:29:11 PM »

Could anyone tell me where good places to fly fish for bull trout are? Never tried fishing for them, but looks interesting?

Trout_Bum

robbo1970

Re: Bull Trout
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »

Was thinking the same thing. I live in Steveston so was thinking of trying around Garry Point Park. Would like to try to get them on the fly, maybe some minnow patterns or egg type flies

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »

you can try the squamish systems. they have resident bulls.if you can locate them they will attack!

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »

i fish for bulls on the skagit there are some in the vedder but not a hole lot u can fish the elk as well i love bull trout fishing i use big streamers on a 6 weight or a 7 weight when i fish the elk i like muddles ang bunny leaches with dumbbell eyes

chief

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »

Saw a recent Sportfishing BC episode where Mark P + Brian Chan were  fly  fishing for bulls around Cranbrook. Brian said that bull trout are resident in watersheds east of the coast mountain range and Dollies in watersheds west of the Coast mountains.They caught some huge bulls on that show about 3 weeks after ice off on 1 of the Cranbrook area rivers.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »

i fish for bulls on the skagit there are some in the vedder but not a hole lot u can fish the elk as well i love bull trout fishing i use big streamers on a 6 weight or a 7 weight when i fish the elk i like muddles ang bunny leaches with dumbbell eyes

the skagit can be great but it is closed till june now to all fishing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:26:26 AM »

Between now and June, you should be able to find many good bull trout fishing opportunities around the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley. The Lower Fraser River have three systems where bull trout travel in and out of - Pitt River, Harrison River and Chilliwack River. Their whereabouts depend on where their food source is. Look for food and you shall find them. Squamish River and its tributaries also offer these fishing opportunities. This is a total catch and release fishery.

My experience of bull trout fishing in the Lower Fraser River can be found in the blog section.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2008/10/24/followers-and-ambushers/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2008/11/09/a-very-wet-battle/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/02/19/rewarded-after-two-sniff-less-weeks/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/02/20/definitely-spoiled/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/04/07/hunting-the-hunters/

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »

yep unforchanetly its closed now

wjlz

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:57:31 AM »

What is the expectation for an average angler? One fish for 4 hours? 8 hours?

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:24:40 AM »

I have caught some bull trout on the Vedder during early steelhead season.
I am not sure if they are resident or migratory fish feeding on salmon eggs, but they can be found in big runs where late chums like to hang around.
All were wild fish and needs to be released with care.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »

What is the expectation for an average angler? One fish for 4 hours? 8 hours?

You cannot have that type of expectation in a fishery where the target species is highly transient and unpredictable, otherwise you'd be either really disappointed or surprised. You can go on for days without seeing a fish, while catching several in an hour on a good day.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »

You cannot have that type of expectation in a fishery where the target species is highly transient and unpredictable, otherwise you'd be either really disappointed or surprised. You can go on for days without seeing a fish, while catching several in an hour on a good day.

I would even say you can't have those expectations for ANY fishery. Some days you can't buy a fish.

wjlz

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »

Thank you for both Rodney and NoahsArc. You both have answered my question: most-likely, it is not a game for new comer.

salmonlover

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »

try the systems in squamish...squamish river and cheakamus have very good bull trout fishing. Most i caught in one day was 30. I should mention I raft the river and have a lot more chances of catching them because i can cover a lot of water.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:19:48 PM by salmonlover »

Electroman

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »

Thank you for both Rodney and NoahsArc. You both have answered my question: most-likely, it is not a game for new comer.

Hey why not? Another good excuse to get out and maybe a new river to explore. A good day on the river is not always one with lots of fish.