Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To resole Simms G4 boots or not?  (Read 6125 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
To resole Simms G4 boots or not?
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »

I have used my Simms G4 wading boots for three seasons with much pleasure. Unfortunately the Vibram soles is at at the end of it's life and I need to decide whether to resole or buy a new pair of boots. The new G4 has a fancy boot laces which kind of goes against my personal philosophy of keeping things simple so I am hesitant to trade up. As I have never resoled a boot, I am not sure how it would turn out. Any comments would be appreciated.

sandy999

Re: To resole Simms G4 boots or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »

I have used my Simms G4 wading boots for three seasons with much pleasure. Unfortunately the Vibram soles is at at the end of it's life and I need to decide whether to resole or buy a new pair of boots. The new G4 has a fancy boot laces which kind of goes against my personal philosophy of keeping things simple so I am hesitant to trade up. As I have never resoled a boot, I am not sure how it would turn out. Any comments would be appreciated.

I would not waste my money on a resole-I have resoled felts on boots and the result was not good.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »

I resole my boots myself and have never had an issue. Far more economical than buying a new pair of boots every year IMO.
Actions speak louder than words.

fisherforever

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »

I resole my boots myself and have never had an issue. Far more economical than buying a new pair of boots every year IMO.
Have been doing the same for years.

wallygator24

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »

I would resole my G4 boots, but I would take them to a cobbler.  The G4 boot is pretty bombproof and that's why you don't see so many for sale any more.  To durable.  Not a big fan of new G4 boot with boa lacing style system.  Shoe laces are much cheaper to replace.

Stewie

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »

I am in the same boat. I am tired of slipping and sliding around on the rocks and I am debating on weather or not to have a felt sole stitched on the bottom of my vibram boots. Gonna look into it tomorrow.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »

do yourself a favour and go to kevin dafoe at express reel, if anyone can give you peace of mind, it's him...he does high quality work at a competitive rate and very time efficient.

wallygator24

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 04:17:28 AM »

Have you tried putting on the simms studs with the cleats on your vibram soles?  I have them on mine and it makes a real difference.  A lot better then felt in the winter snow. 

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 06:05:32 AM »

What kind of boots do you guys have, My simms deteriorate after a year. Iv been using the freestones the last 3 pairs.
The Bigger The Better!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:21 AM »

What kind of boots do you guys have, My simms deteriorate after a year. Iv been using the freestones the last 3 pairs.

I use the original G3 tongueless guide boots with the felt...wide bottomed.

I've had them since 2006, been re felted several times over and probably the best line of simms boots ever manufactured...but for some reason, they discontinued them prior to the introduction of the vibram line.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »

The reason I am thinking of resoling my old G4 is because the upper part is good as new after 3 seasons of heavy use. I only had to replace the laces once. As wallygator24 posted, this boot is pretty much bombproof as any boot can get, but even with studs and cleats used, I can't do much about the Vibram soles wearing out. Unfortunately the old G4 has been phased out and no longer available. I have never used the Freestones so can't comment on their durability.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »

Simms Riversheds are a really tough boot, they'll last a few years.

Pin-nook

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »

I have the old Simms G3s and had them when they first came out and they still look great but finding the right person to re-felt them has been impossible. I now have the Simms Guide Boot in Vibrums with Hardbites and studs(great at times..) and just bought the new Simms G3 Guide Boot in felt(we'll have to see how these go...).

There used to be a Dutch guy(Ron) that ran a Cobbler at Lonsdale Quay that knew exactly how to re-felt wading boots but he up and left one night and didn't tell anyone. Just wonder if someone out the knows where this guy is cause I would love to get my G3s re-felted.

I've seen your gear and man are you ever hard on them!   

G-Ratt

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »

I too am looking to re-felt my Simms boots. Trying not to drive out too far though, does anybody know if any of the local tackle shops provide re-felting?

I also don't trust myself to do it on my own without totally messing them up.