Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Since we all fish do any of us keep fish in an aquarium? LOL  (Read 7555 times)

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Since we all fish do any of us keep fish in an aquarium? LOL
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »

Used to have a salt water reef tank with lots of different tropical fish and coral.
I dont have the time for them now. I got rid of all the fish but i still have a few soft corals and a bunch of live rock to get rid of. Sigh.

newb33

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »

10 gallons with a bunch of common fish nothing great but i do have a blue lobster in the tank my kid just loves it

koifish

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 10:49:52 PM »

I used to have a reef tank to saltwater is very hard for me someone post some pics of ur fishes! Lol

HKSR

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »

I used to be an aquarium nut about 10+ years ago.  At the peak, I had a 240G, two 90G, one 50G, and three 20G tanks in 2 rooms.  Had all kinds of fish, from the common pleco, all the way up to a $2500 red Asian arowana.  Loved every minute of it, but then we moved, and didn't have space for any sizable tanks anymore :(  I'll probably get back into it one day.

koifish

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »

i want an asian arowana to but i have a 160 g tho

charles

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »

Best to have tank with 24" front to back for Asian arawana.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »

I used to own a tropical saltwater aquarium back in the late 90's to early 2000's, and I've raised over 30 different species of tropical saltwater fish in the tank, including coral and live sea anemones.

I came to realize that some fish are extremely smart, and they recognize their owners like pet dogs and cats, especially the lemon peel fish and picasso triggerfish.  They also are very sensitive and they have feelings like humans do like being sad and happy. I also found out that certain fish are extremely freaked out by certain colours such as the blue damselfish would completely freak out if it sees anything that is hot pink in colour. Freak out meaning if would hide behind coral if it sees that colour.

There was one time we bought a bunch new smallish sized fish - I can't remember the name - in the aquarium, and the next morning they were all gone since they were all eaten up by one little fish called an orchid dottyback which sported a huge stomach.

If anyone is planning to own an aquarium, I recommend going for a saltwater aquarium because the colours of the fish and sea anemones under artificial lighting is absolutely amazing. I haven't been inside a saltwater fish aquarium store for more than a decade, so I don't know about the prices, but the hobby is very rewarding and relaxing. You will have much more compassion and appreciation to all fish in general.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:34:00 PM by Long_Cast »

koifish

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »

I used to own a tropical saltwater aquarium back in the late 90's to early 2000's, and I've raised over 30 different species of tropical saltwater fish in the tank, including coral and live sea anemones.

I came to realize that some fish are extremely smart, and they recognize their owners like pet dogs and cats, especially the lemon peel fish and picasso triggerfish.  They also are very sensitive and they have feelings like humans do like being sad and happy. I also found out that certain fish are extremely freaked out by certain colours such as the blue damselfish would completely freak out if it sees anything that is hot pink in colour. Freak out meaning if would hide behind coral if it sees that colour.

There was one time we bought a bunch new smallish sized fish - I can't remember the name - in the aquarium, and the next morning they were all gone since they were all eaten up by one little fish called an orchid dottyback which sported a huge stomach.

If anyone is planning to own an aquarium, I recommend going for a saltwater aquarium because the colours of the fish and sea anemones under artificial lighting is absolutely amazing. I haven't been inside a saltwater fish aquarium store for more than a decade, so I don't know about the prices, but the hobby is very rewarding and relaxing. You will have much more compassion and appreciation to all fish in general.

Ya I regret that I did freshwater I did freshwater because of an arowana but I need a bigger tank in width 6inchns more
I should of done saltwater

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »

Ya I regret that I did freshwater I did freshwater because of an arowana but I need a bigger tank in width 6inchns more
I should of done saltwater

At first, I thought I made a mistake for doing a saltwater tank because there was so much more work, but the extra work keeping a saltwater tank was worth it. I used to go the fish pet store once a  month just to see the fish they were selling. A lot of the fish sold were quite exotic in a sense that I've never seen them at the Vancouver Aquarium or any National Geographic TV type show.

koifish

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »

Ya saltwater is hard I used to have one it does cost a lot of money for the lights if you get the wrong lights you will get lot of algae

My fav is te clown trigger

kanuckle head

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »

Had a 60 gal tank with 4 red Tiger Oscars, they were fed with feeder gold fish. The cost of feeding 3 Gfish a day was cut down to feeding them chicken hearts, that were stored in the fridge & no extra tank to upkeep for the feeder Gfish
Once in a while when fishing was not favorable but I was tweek'n to straight line a fish. I would buy 2 feeders & live bait my tiger Oscars that could not resist a live Gfish..............barb less of course !!
Quite surprised how much of a leaper my Oscars were when hooked in the Yap, kinda wished I had a larger tank, so the Oscars had a fighting chance

Kh

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »

I do wholesale and some retail of tropical fish...  here is some photos of my own of some of the fish I have imported...

http://www.canadianaquatics.com/photo/photo.htm

Let's do some business! I'm looking for a tank and unique fish!  ;D ;D
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

stormhaven

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »

Working for J&L aquatics check us out if your looking for all things  saltwater aquarium related .

charles

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »

Let's do some business! I'm looking for a tank and unique fish!  ;D ;D

Sure.  my phone number and my email address is on the site.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »

I've got an 18" black pirahna in a 180gal. And a large shoal of red bellies, terns, and caribe piranhas in a 320gal.