Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First PINK season for me ...  (Read 8222 times)

James

Re: First PINK season for me ...
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 06:49:22 PM »

thanks for the tips ...

ps: I'm not new to Fly Fishing at all ... just for pinks .

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »

HA HA HA I was just bugging trophyfisher  ;D Im not scared of hooks they only hurt for a second anyway  ;) hooked my self once of twice on windy days
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Min

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »

HA HA HA I was just bugging trophyfisher  ;D Im not scared of hooks they only hurt for a second anyway  ;) hooked my self once of twice on windy days

Yeah, you were just bugging him.  Wait till I get out there.  I am bringing the yellow "caution" tape.  :D

Min

abbott101

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 11:45:15 PM »

if u got a boat 12 footer will do with a gas motro, bomb over to the mouth of the vedder anchor down and cast with a medium sinking line or heavy fly 9ft leader. Or u could troll with a sinking line. Most people chuck big pink flies for the pinks in the vedder and other rivers, not saying they dont work, theyll work great in the muddy fraser but i have always done way better with size 8 or size 10 flies. Tie them sparse with pink marabou tails,small pink chenillefor the body and pink marabou over the body like a leech. By far they best fly at the mouth of vedder would be the egg and eye fry pattern that has a yolk sack at the throat of the fly. I do a size 8 or 10 hook,natural teal flank for the tail,silver tinsle body conter wraped with red wire, an over wing of natural teal flank,and a piece of peach or orange wool under the throat of the fly as a egg sack. Ull beat them like babby seals all day long with that fly. Good luck.

Bronco Boy

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »

How is in the Harrison River...Pinks there yet?

doja

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 09:26:46 AM »

Have always gear fished the vedder but never fly fished it. Was wondering which parts of the river is best suited for fly fishing?

You can fish the upper parts of the river too, that`s where I fish mostly.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »

Pinks don't show in the Fraser in any kind of nymbers until the end of August and then peak in the 1st half of Sept. The Harrison fish tend to be a few weeks later though there are Fraser fish that come into the lower part below the bridge.

Right now it looks like the run is timing a week or more later than the last couple of cycles.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »

If you specifically target only pinks a 5 - 6 wt fly rod with either floating line with a 8-12 ft leader or a multi tip line will be just fine. The Vedder canal is an excellant place to fly fish as there is lots of room for casting and is entirely fly water. As the water is clear sparsely tied flies in smaller sizes  8-12 will take pinks as they're quite agressive.
It ain't the roe bro'