Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First PINK season for me ...  (Read 8232 times)

James

First PINK season for me ...
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »

This will be the first season I fish for PINKS on the FLY .. I have done many many yrs of salmon fishing with bait , but I am in need of some more fly action , other than the trout i target now on the fly .

I am thinking that a 8 or 9 weight rod / reel will be a good choice ... correct ?

Not sure about the line choice though , sink tip ? or float with sinking leader ?

Flies , well I heard just about any thing pink will work . BTW ---- I will be fishing the Veddar / Chilliwack system .

Leaders ---- not sure what to start with , I tie my own tapered trout leaders - But what tippet / length / strength should I have for PINKS in the Veddar ?

Thanks so much for the help and tips .

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: First PINK season for me ...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:13:07 AM »

an 8wt is a good rod to use for pinks in the Vedder/Chilliwack because there can be coho,springs and chum starting to come in at the same time. i would go with a floating line with sink tip system (Versa tip) so that you can fish lots of different water.

as for flies- I personally like sparse pink with flash or something like a pink wooly bugger.

If you decide to hit a system like the Squamish where there is mostly just pinks (the odd spring to) running together then you can use a 5or6wt just fine. This is what i use for pinks in the salt and rivers like this. In the Vedder i use my 8wt

and for a leader you dont need a long leader, I use around 6-8ft and maybe even a little shorter to get the fly down more. I usually use 6lb for pinks but if i start getting busted off by other fish then i go up to 8lb or 10lb which usually means less strikes unfortunately :(
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:15:03 AM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »

OK  if you want one rod that you can use from the beach and in the river for all salmon fishing i would tell you an 8wt is the way to go.good for the beach (wind) and good enough for chum and all other big bastards!

lampson has really nice reels with a sealed drag (important for the salt) form a beach line a rio outbound floating line (8wt) is really good.
on another spool get a versa tip (also from rio) and you are ready to go.

for the beach you could go with a 12 foot leader (just mono) or a poly leader (intermediate) with 3 feet tippet.
your sink tips in the river should be short 3-4 feet there is a card that shows you the sink rates for everything you will use the type 3 and 6 the most.

beach flies polar bear is best nice and sparse in the river i like using bunny it moves well.

other ?'s you can pm me ;D
girls suck throw rocks at them!

nosey

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »

Keep it simple, 6wt., full floating line, 6-8 ft.leader, weighted sparcely tied pink flies, catching pinks ain't rocket science any fly rod you got will work. Last time up I noticed the dark pink flies were working best, 4 years ago I was using a red bead head kinda muddler that was just knocking them over, the only bad part about the pinks is they don't come every year.

RossP

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:23:23 PM »

Depending were I go and the weather conditions dictates what rod I use.
For sure joy I use my 8 1/2ft 5wt that has lots of back bone with a floating line.
For faster water and windy days I take my 8wt to help battle the winds. Either way
a great battle. If you have a 6wt use it. The 5 wt I use use to be a 9ft rod but I broke
the tip off so I just put a new tip top on the broken section and use it for pinks. More like
a 6wt than a 5 wt. Just get out when they start and have fun.

Ross
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Min

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »

I've never fished rivers for pinks, so I am looking forward to trying this year.

I have 5, 7/8, & 9 wt rods.  From the info. here, I will probably use one of the 7/8 rods.  My 5 wts are difficult to use in any kind of wind.  The 9 wt. seems like it would be a bit of overkill.  Problem is I really want to try out the 9 wt.  I haven't 'fished' it yet.

Min

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »

I've never fished rivers for pinks, so I am looking forward to trying this year.

I have 5, 7/8, & 9 wt rods.  From the info. here, I will probably use one of the 7/8 rods.  My 5 wts are difficult to use in any kind of wind.  The 9 wt. seems like it would be a bit of overkill.  Problem is I really want to try out the 9 wt.  I haven't 'fished' it yet.

Min

Take the 9wt out for when the whites show up. You will have a blast!!!! I remember my first whitey a few years ago on my 9wt boy what a thrill. Biggest has been about 35lbs in the Vedder.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Wulff Man

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »

are their any areas of the river designated fly only?

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »

are their any areas of the river designated fly only?

depending on the river you fish there many be such restrictions have a peek in the regs before you head out.

:)
girls suck throw rocks at them!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »

The Chilliwack/Vedder River has no designated flyfishing only sections except in May.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »

Have always gear fished the vedder but never fly fished it. Was wondering which parts of the river is best suited for fly fishing?

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »

Have always gear fished the vedder but never fly fished it. Was wondering which parts of the river is best suited for fly fishing?
I like the canal because you will have lots of room for you back cast and for a newer fly fisher like me I NEED the room!  ;D ;D 

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 11:14:28 PM »

ya and the rest of us need the room to stay away from the newbie guys LOL  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »

Also, don't forget about flyfishing for Pinks on the Fraser. Plenty of room for backcasts, and the fish fight harder too.

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »

ya and the rest of us need the room to stay away from the newbie guys LOL  ;D

Thanks