Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: beautiful morning in beautiful bc  (Read 2646 times)

frenchy

beautiful morning in beautiful bc
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:47:24 PM »

After my lack of success from the last weeks and what I read about snagging, I did not feel like going fishing to the Vedder.
So I woke up early and went to the only other stream I know a bit. I was on the flow before first light and could not stop myself starting to cast before seing what I was really doing... Result, one cast later I am tying a new leader  ::). There are some fish moving in the run, but they do not want my colorado blade :'(, so I move to the next run, continue with a blade for a while, but still no taker. I change for a small red spin'n glow and first cast the float goes down and at the same time I feel in my arm the "BAM" I love so much. I loose this one, but at the end of the morning I connected with 6 chums (only landed one). I know that 6 salmons is nothing for most of you, but wow, these fish are strong, they pull hard, they jump high, they are big... I love them. When I heard you speaking about these beautiful fish, I though they were as fun to catch as a rock. Guys, you do not realize how lucky you (should I say we) are!!!
This morning I was on a beautiful river, with beautiful fish, I saw nobody, there was no garbage around... I am in Beautiful British Columbia and I love that.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: beautiful morning in beautiful bc
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:49:59 PM »

Nice to here ;D good report. Love days when you can get into some nice fish and enjoy the day with out people recking it. ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:54:43 PM »

That is a great report Frenchy.  I am happy that you got into some fish, and a chum is a great one to start with.  They are strong, and man you are right do they ever pull!!  You should get up to the Squamish in the next little while and you will see some of these beast near there best!!  They are quit the show up there when they are coming in strong!!  Anyhow, great job and congrats!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:32:11 PM »

I also went to a local flow yesterday and hooked into about 10 chum and a few reddish coho
crab cakes

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:56:42 AM »

sounds like you had an awsome day  ;D congrats on the fish.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:00:21 AM by scruffy »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:41:29 AM »

I know that 6 salmons is nothing for most of you, but wow, these fish are strong, they pull hard, they jump high, they are big... I love them. When I heard you speaking about these beautiful fish, I though they were as fun to catch as a rock. Guys, you do not realize how lucky you (should I say we) are!!!

Pound for pound the best fighting fish in the world.

A fresh chum of 10 pounds can fight with the best of all freshwater species. The lack of respect they get is terrible. Also chum make some of the best fish and chips.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:24:20 AM »

Your right Frenchy,we dont appreciate what we have here nearly as much as we should.
BC is definitely an outdoor persons paradise.
Not all that bad for its Golf either. ;)

Ribwart

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 09:14:23 AM »

but notice that with very little retention on the sportfisher side their numbers are huge!!! everywhere! I wonder if the chum fry compete with coho, chinook or steelhead fry in the river for territory and/or food? I wonder how well the coho would be doing if retention had been 1 fish per day like the dogs or steelies? but on the other hand I wonder at the commercial ocean harvest of chum compared to coho maybe there's no valid point here at all. But it is my understanding that coho fry need approximately a minimum of 1 meter squared area of territory during their stay in the river and will fight and aggressively attack each other to maintain that space...what if all the chum fry are competing for this territory?
I agree though, chum salmon are pound for pound the best fighter of all the salmon as far as strength goes...as long as they're hooked clean and not some incidental snag up on the retrieve or "accidental" hook up from fishing their redds, then they're just evil, back breaking, and painfull brutes...but then what hookup and fight isn't that painfull when it's foul? regardless of the species.
My girlfriend caught a nice little doe, just the other day... nice clean fish-well clean as they get around here with the exception of the squam, short floated roe...wow!!! What a fight! It was her first salmon ever...She's hooked...nice acrobatics, head shakes screaming runs...I couldn't have hoped for a better first hook up. No doubt that chum don't get their fair shake...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:23:09 AM by Ribwart »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 09:34:27 AM »

Ribwart, Chum, Pinks and certain breeds of springs (Harrison Whites) are all ocean phenotype fish meaning they immediatly start migrating towards the ocean upon hatch and spend little time in fresh water. On the other hand coho, sockeye and certain chinooks are river phenotype meaning they spend up to two years in fresh water before migrating to the salt. That is the reason these species are typically out numbered by chums etc. because their run size is limited by a rivers smolt producing capacity. Of course, hatcheries are a 'good' way to get around this. Take for example steelhead rivers in the states that release over 1,000,000 steelhead smolts per year. These fish when released are ready to migrate and take off to the ocean reletivly quickly after being released and return as adults in massive numbers.
Actions speak louder than words.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:54:13 PM »

Awsome report frenchy, I agree with you, Chum fight hard!!, Glad to hear you got some fish!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Yopesco

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 12:50:30 AM »

And I agree, chums make GREAT fish and chips.

Yopesco

Ribwart

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 01:03:08 AM »

thx BC...that makes perfect sense to me....you use the word phenotype....I know it well. What's your background, if I might ask? Is there a formal science based degree in there somewhere?  ;D
Thx for the info,
rib

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 06:51:28 PM »