Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Atlantic Salmon Question  (Read 8160 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Atlantic Salmon Question
« on: April 19, 2005, 07:41:26 PM »

This is NOT a discussion on fish farming, I wish to clarify this right form the start.  >:(

The item I wish to discuss is, is it open season on Atlantic Salmon ? I realize that they're not "meant" to be here, and that a few have been turning up in nets in the ocean, and other guys in the rivers.  ::)

The question is, are we free to kill as many Atlantics a day if, in the unlikely event that we catch one ? I know that DFO has a program in place to report all caught Atlantics, but can we still kill them for personal consumption (if you so wish to do so  :-X ), wiht no limits ?

I realize that a problem could arise with people keeping lots of salmon with the belief they are "all Atlantics," when none of them are, and then play dumb by saying "but I thought they were Atlantics, and that I was doing the province a favour..."

Any thoughts ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: Atlantic Salmon Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 07:48:04 PM »

I'll start off by saying that these fish aren't meant to be here, and that we should have every right to kill one, AFTER a positive ID on the fish.

But definately there could be issues with people killing fish other than Atlantics, intentionally, or otherwise, face it, it's gonna happen either way, who hasn't confused a fish since they started the sport ? I know I have, unintentionally though.

This would definately take some time to do, and get everyone on the same track as to what an Atlantic looks like.

Also, there should be a similar thing like we do with hatchery chinooks, and have head depots in the parking lots of some of the major rivers to deposit any info regarding the fish caught, but by asking too much, people could just say "screw it" and keep the fish pretending nothing ever happened. Kinda defeats the purpose of it eh ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 08:43:13 PM »

Ignorance is not a defense for breaking any law.  If you are going to bonk a fish you better know exactly what it is you are bonking.  If you are not sure consult someone who is knowledgeable and you can trust.  The final option is just let it go back into the water if you cannot ID what it is. ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:49:11 PM by Matuka Jack »
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 08:46:36 PM »

Those are wise words Matuka, you won't belive how many times I've seen people who can't tell the difference between a jack spring and a pink. Even worse is they don't listen when I correct them  >:(

Actions speak louder than words.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 09:06:26 PM »

I believe for "exotic" species the entire specimen is to be submitted. ;)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 08:49:31 AM »

With Atlantics classification as an exotic species, indeed they are open season.  DFO's  main concern is that Atlantics would displace local species; that said, I think it is a safe assumption that you could kill any/all atlantics you catch.

In terms of identification, Matucka is bang on, you need to know what you are harvesting before you bonk it.  Luckily atlanitics are soooo easy to distinguish.  Ingeneral, they are much more spotted than pacific salmon (below th lateral line even) and  with the big black dots that appear on their gill plate and heads, they are easy to identify:

http://www.canadian-sportfishing.com/NationalChampionship/Championship%20Results/2002%20Results/images/atlantic-salmon.jpg

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/fish/salmon/images/atlanticsalmon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/fish/salmon/atlantic.htm&h=306&w=450&sz=53&tbnid=HMb_3vNXQ4gJ:&tbnh=84&tbnw=124&start=33&prev=/images%3Fq%3Datlantic%2Bsalmon%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN   -  this second pic is great...look at how low the spots are below the laterla line
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 08:54:21 AM by Gooey »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 09:22:36 AM »

Last I heard the limit was 30 in the chuck and 50 in fresh open 24/7/365 so no worries bonk away! :o

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 11:36:50 AM »

Atlantics do look quite unique to most speceis with exception of brown trout. How mayn of you can tell the difference.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 11:48:13 AM »

Top picture is an Atlantic salmon, the bottom is a Brown Trout

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 11:49:21 AM »

Are you sure? ;)

Browns have a square tail, while atlantic salmon have a slightly forked tail.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 01:45:25 PM »

I thought the spots on a brown have a colored hugh, kinda like a dolly but with a black dot in the middle...never caught a brown tho!

Atlantics dont have spots on the tail...browns do....doesnt help with these pics...

Oh man, you know what this means....I have to agree with FA ;)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 01:57:12 PM »

I thought the spots on a brown have a colored hugh, kinda like a dolly but with a black dot in the middle...never caught a brown tho!

Atlantics dont have spots on the tail...browns do....doesnt help with these pics...

Oh man, you know what this means....I have to agree with FA ;)

It's all in the link name  ;D  Top is a brown trout, and bottom is an atlantic (according to the sites at which they are posted).  I would have got it wrong. :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 02:01:30 PM »

Actually, the caudal fin/tail of both brown trout and atlantic salmon is not spotted.

Brown trout

The post-glacial divergence between brown trout and atlantic salmon is a pretty interesting subject. Even just within the brown trout species, there are at least ten variations.

When Linnaeus in Sweden started his classification work, he came up with three types of brown trout: S.trutta, the trout of large rivers; S.fario, the trout of small brooks; and S.criox, the migraratory sea trout.

DS, you're cheating again! Those links maybe a trick. ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 02:15:15 PM »

Brown trout have black spots with red halos.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 03:05:52 PM »

Brown trout have black spots with red halos.

I've caught brown trout without red halos, and seen pics of atlantics with red halos.