Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixed float vs. sliding  (Read 12530 times)

Preliator

Fixed float vs. sliding
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:23:59 PM »

Is there any significant pros and cons to using each particular set up? Just from observation, it appears the fixed set up actually seems to be a bit of a pain. When fishing in a run with some depth, your ability to cast is greatly effected leaving you to have to pitch and toss. Which isn't entirely bad, if the run is close-ish to you. With the sliding set up, you have far more control over things. Is it nothing more than personal preference, or am I missing something here?

andychan

Re: Fixed float vs. sliding
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »

just an observation.

fixed float on braided; sliding on mono.

i've seen sliding floats not really slide quick enough as they get hung up easier on the braid esp. power pro.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »

I do fixed as I dont find it sinks fast enough and as it drifts past the stopper gets pulled up from the float so you could miss a bite. Sometimes those stoppers dont exit the eyes very smooth either and screw with your cast.
A stopper up top and one below so I dont lose my float if I snag up

Brian

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »

in faster water, definately a stopper below the float as well as above, otherwise the float will slide down to your sinkers and you'll be fishing in 6" of depth.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »

I cant think of too many spots on the vedder where a 10.5' rod and a fixed float is an issue???  I guess its can be tough to manage 10+ feeet of line below your float when you're fishing a 6 foot deep run!  ::)  Ya I guess a sliding float really helps when you are dredging the bottom. 

In all seriousness, I have seen bobber stoppers migrate cast after casat as they catch on the guides.  This can lead to shortened casts, fishing too deep, and unneccessary snags.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:26:30 PM »

i've seen sliding floats not really slide quick enough as they get hung up easier on the braid esp. power pro.

And one needs to use braided because.......?

Particularily on anything less than the Fraser bar fishing..............

Attach some mono to your braid or are you fishing for sturgeon or halibut perhaps?
just curious.

Sliding stoppers seem to work best on 20lb mainline, when using 15lb you have to check it more regularily, anything less = no sliders (IMO)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:52:07 PM »

And one needs to use braided because.......?

Particularily on anything less than the Fraser bar fishing..............

Attach some mono to your braid or are you fishing for sturgeon or halibut perhaps?
just curious.

Sliding stoppers seem to work best on 20lb mainline, when using 15lb you have to check it more regularily, anything less = no sliders (IMO)

Braided line doesn't necessarily mean stronger line. There is braid in #8, 10#, 12# 15#,20#....and so on - just like mono.
The main advantage of braided line is that it is of much thinner diameter than mono at the same pound strength.
Another huge advantage of braided line is that it has virtually no memory, no stretch and no coiling, which translates into better bite detection and much longer line life than mono. I only use braided line on all my spinning reels and most of my levelwinds.
Of course, you have to pay for the pleasure, as any decent braid is quite more expensive than mono. But you get your money back because braid lasts so much much longer than mono.

Don't dismiss braid without knowing all the facts.
Braid rules!

Of course, the leader will be flourocarbon or mono as it is much stealthier than any braid on the market today, although I have yet to try this one, but it's pricey:

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/superline/fireline-fused-crystal

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »

Sliding float in slow deep water.    Fixed float in faster flows.   Sliders don't give good control in fast water IMHO.

Seldom use a slider in the Chilliwack because it is mostly shallow and fast, ususally use a slider in the Nitinat pools.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:48:38 PM »

I don't know why one would use a sliding float for drift fishing on a river.

Milo, I tried the braid and I'm not impressed.
I don't like it because you feel every little tick and tack on the bottom and the line makes noise when it moves through the guides.
It simply disturbs the silence and the sounds of the river.
I just like the smooth feel of the mono.
Plus mono is much less visible in the water. (Sometimes this is a pain)
I do like the durability of the braid though.
Braid is really popularized buy the bass fishermen fishing in muddy ponds where fish don't see in front of their noses.
But here in these clear waters we have, I'd rather stick with the mono.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »

Personally I really like braid for the reasons Milo stated on this thread.  

The only (little) thing I might have against it is it seems to have less give than mono which means that I get my leaders snapped more easily when the fish makes a sudden dash near the shore.  At least that's my excuse when it happens.

I have never had any problems using it with sliding float setup.

Preliator

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »

In all seriousness, I have seen bobber stoppers migrate cast after casat as they catch on the guides.  This can lead to shortened casts, fishing too deep, and unneccessary snags.

Is it possible that it was a bad batch of bobber stoppers? The ones I use require me to hold the line quite firmly when attempting to adjust it. I can't see the guides really tugging them after a cast. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Is there a way to rig your set up so that you can fairly easily switch between each under different applications?

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 11:15:45 PM »

Is it possible that it was a bad batch of bobber stoppers? The ones I use require me to hold the line quite firmly when attempting to adjust it. I can't see the guides really tugging them after a cast. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Is there a way to rig your set up so that you can fairly easily switch between each under different applications?
I'm pretty sure gooey is referring to when people use a sliding float. When you reel the stops through the guides and cast they get caught up and screw things up.
Also dne makes a yellow and a green tag bobber stops. The yellow are for larger siZed line...if you use the yellow size on 12 lb mono it slides fairly easy.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 01:18:21 AM »

I still don't understand the pros of using a sliding over a fixed float?
I dont think there is one. I always use a fixed float. I've never had to fish a float longer than my rod or the need to cast extreme distances. The only time I use a sliding float is when I bobber fish at rice lake for stocked trout lol

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »

When you use a sliding float, you crank your line in so the float sits tight to your 3-way swivel when you cast.
This makes for a shorter amount of line out the end of your rod which should be easier to cast.

Somewhere further up your line, you have a float stopper above the float (probably near your reel when cranked in).
The stopper normally consists of a number of loops of braid clamped down on the line and a tiny bead below.

When your rig hits the water, the weight pulls the line down (running through the middle of the float) until the float hits the stopper.

It makes it easier to fish deeper pools without having to cast the equivalent to a long leader.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »

With a slider you can set your bobber stop so as to enable you to cast and fish the bottom of a 25 ft. deep pool, something you cannot do with a fixed float.