Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Center Pin?  (Read 15511 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
What Center Pin?
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:43:32 PM »

Recently my parents asked me what I would like for a graduation present and I have decided to ask for a center pin.

I'm looking for a little advise on which one to ask for. Budget isn't really that much of an issue here (since I'm not picking up the tab  ;D) but it does have to be left handed so that should limit the number of options. I wouldn't mind hearing so pros and cons of the various options out there. Comments like Islander = Good are not helpful.

Thanks.
Actions speak louder than words.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Re: What Center Pin?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »

Talisman in Left hand, 4"
Kingfisher bearing or bushing 4 3/8, 5"
King pins series 1,2,3- 5"

All avaiable at Berry's bait and tackle

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »

Sterling. You could just do what I do and reel right handed with a centrepin and left with everything else. It takes like a day of fishing to get used to reeling right handed, and by that point you still wont be able to cast it. LOL. Plus if you reel right handed you will never be limited on the model you can buy. All old school reels are right hand retrieve.

You've seen what I fish. The Islander can be a brute to fish all day but it's damn smooth and a beautiful looking reel. I do like the looks of the Kingfishers and I know they are very well made and probably a bit lighter than the Islander. The ideal combo for what you fish would be a 3113 Sage and a 4 3/8" Kingfisher IMO.

hotrod

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:23:47 AM »

I have two Islanders and I'm a lefty on the retrieve. I just switch the way I put the line on. Works just fine for me!

Hotrod

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:38:53 AM »

I have a bunch of center pins but my most recent purchases are a Kingfisher and an Islander.  Both are beautiful reels but I think my kingfisher starts up a little easier.  That certainly makes casting ligther weights a bit easier.  Either way they are both great reels/choices.

Biff, drop me an email an we can chat somemore.

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:03:46 AM »

If you get one from John directly, you can even have him etch/engrave? something in for you since its a grad present.  Are you thinking bearing or bushing?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:51:02 AM by SnaggedADuck »

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »

i think if u are able to get them, go with either the kingfisher or the kingpin. I've owned 2 bearing reels, and 2 bushing reels.  and in my honest opinion the bushing reels ran smoother, and quieter than either of the bearing reels i had.

the kingpin is a bearing, but it has been getting outstanding reviews, so i think it would be worth a look at. Where the talisman and kingfisher reels have been around for so long, and continue to be dependable.

(i want a macdonald, but chances of me getting one are slim!)
Fish killer 101

spey

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »

Although most will disagree, if i were you I'd get a nice level wind setup instead. Everyone and there dog has a centerpin plus I prefer my levelwind over my centerpin anyday and can make 3 times as many casts.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:49:17 PM by spey »

esk

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »

I love Kingfisher bushing 4 3/8"

Fishmaster J

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 07:33:43 AM »

DionJL, just wondering what you mean by "the islander can be a brute to fish all day.."   I have fished an islander for the last two years or so, I love it.  Chose it for its great feel and smoothness, looks, and the fact that it is one of a few centerpins that are built locally.  I have felt most of the others, and I might consider a Kingpin one day,  but if I want to fish for Steeles/coho more than 6lbs, and springs up to 60lbs (maybe one day...) I always fish the Islander.  I am also wondering if anyone has installed the higher quality bearings into their Islander CP, and if they noticed much of a difference?

Bhinky

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »

I've been told that there are bearings that you can get for the islander CP that make it as smooth as the most expensive CP's. This is possible at a fraction of the cost of the upgrade from islander. The person who was telling me this mentioned Apex bearings.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »

I've done a little looking around and the Milner Kingfisher is starting to look like a good option.

Would somebody be able to compare the performance of a Kingfisher to a Talisman or is it more of a nostalga thing that separates them.

Also, would you recommend the bushing model or the bearing model? What about the optional line guides and check lever knob?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »

Although most will disagree, if i were you I'd get a nice level wind setup instead. Everyone and there dog has a centerpin plus I prefer my levelwind over my centerpin anyday and can make 3 times as many casts.

I already own a high end levelwind. Trust me, I won't be hanging it up once I get a pin, however, I feel that each reel has its advantages in certain situations so its good to be flexible.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »

I am also wondering if anyone has installed the higher quality bearings into their Islander CP, and if they noticed much of a difference?

You'd be paying close to $100 for upgraded bearings(supposed to be just better quality) from Islander and you would barely notice any difference, also it's not advised that you swap them out yourself as you would void any warranty if it still applied.  The reel is fine the way it is, no need to do anything to it.

If you go through BC Bearings, a set of ABEC 7 or ABEC9 bearings will probably set you back around $25-35.  Don't know about Islander's warranty being voided though so you might want to check on that.  Just bring the original bearings down to them in the morning, they'll spec and measure them, contact their warehouse and you'll get them in the afternoon.  I've done this with other reels and it makes a world of difference.  But from what I understand is that the only real difference with the ABEC grading numeric system is the higher the number, the higher the tolerances.  Oh, and make sure to ask for either Japanese or German manufactured bearings as they are supposed to have better quality control than the US or India made ones.  Just what I've heard.
President Club S. C. & P.

spey

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »

"What Center Pin?"....I don't see anywhere in there that asks about a levelwind!

Haha, just thought I'd pass on my experience, didn't mean to get you so upset ;)