Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 79129 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I think that is three out of four years in the cycle where the runs are very low.  Even if they start to rebuild it will be a generation before they are back.  Seems to me to be a desperate situation requiring immediate precautionary action, i.e. Getting rid of the fish farms now.  No time for further study.  It might be an unnecessary action but it is about the only thing in front of us that might provide improvement.
I think it is only 2015 and 2016 with low returns, 2013 and 2014 were good (if not as good as expected), although some particular runs (Early Stewart and Chilko, I think), were having trouble in 2014.  It would be nice to see all this information in an easy format on the dfo website, but I think that falls in the category of action items from the Cohen Commission report that dfo claims it doesn't have money to perform.  Is there any indication that the new government is going to fully fund DFO so it can implement all of the recommendations that it hasn't had the money for?

skaha

• Old Timer

Does anyone recall if river conditions were exceptionally poor when the 2012 fish returned?  Given the good return of sockeye to the Columbia river, I have a hard time believing it is only ocean conditions that are the problem here - plus the Chilliwack Lake and Baker lake (Skagit river) sockeye runs are doing pretty decent, if somewhat lower than expected.
[/quote]

--Haven't paid much attention to other runs on the columbia but the Osoyoos sockeye was reported to be to low to allow fishing... based on number of returning fish...  With all the dams and fish passages they are able to monitor the run very well. The Osoyoos group hit near perfect weather/water temps and as they moved up in a group USA fisheries closed areas or reduced catches to allow them through.
--Not sure the current count but some 155K fish made it to Ossoyos thus allowing for a 10 day rec opening in Osoyoos.

--There was a bit of whining from rec fishers south as they had some delayed opening to allow the Osoyoos fish to pass but for the most part it was well recieved... once explained.

--So sometimes with some luck and good management a small run can get to where it is going.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:49:01 PM by skaha »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Here's the background information that lead up to this Thompson River closure, from the resource manager for Region 3 and 8.

"With the current situation with conservation concerns of Fraser sockeye similar to the Lower Fraser fishery closures, the Thompson River will not open at this time due to impacts on migrating sockeye and environmental conditions projected for the upcoming weeks. A fishery notice will be released momentarily reflecting the closure until further notice which the Dept. will be monitoring the situation closely. The decision guidelines to open or close chinook directed opportunities was highly weighted to any fisheries known to have impacts on sockeye based on historical creel data would not proceed and fisheries with no impacts based on creel data could proceed. Currently the South Thompson, Lower Shuswap and Mable Lake with numerous years of creel data shows no sockeye encounters which opened today, the Thompson creel data collected previously does show impacts on Fraser sockeye which is collected in three locations ( Savona, Juniper beach and Bonaparte) but we do not have any creel information for the section below Goldpan. With no available creel data for that area even though fishers indicate very few impacts, it is still an impact and without creel data to indicate zero impacts we are not able to open the Thompson fishery at this time. I have discussed the situation with the local SFAC regarding the dept. decision process late last week and why Sandy Macdonald is included in this e-mail as he is the co-chair for the Mid Fraser Thompson Okanagan Sport fishery Advisory Committee."
This was the response to this note I wrote a few days ago, see below they certainly are out of touch on this as we have no impact on sockeye at all in this area, some of you may wish to write to them too.

Good evening Barbara and Deb,

I hope the current closure of the Fraser River will not effect the planned opening of the Thompson River for chinnok jacks that is scheduled to open on August 21 for recreational anglers.

Of course most know we have no impact on sockeye stocks there. I have  fished this area since the 1970' s and have only hooked one sockeye.

In your management capacity I am sure you will be making the correct decision on this fishery,

Regards,

Chris

Fraser Valley Salmon Society

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:56:33 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

And my response back to Dale.

Thanks for the note although I am not pleased to hear this when we have no impact at all below Gold Pan and numerous long time anglers would tell you that including First Nations that fish this area as well with a rod and reel. It is an area that no one bottom bounces like they do in the other areas you mention.

BB is a blight on the recreational fishery and I am sure you are aware of this and that some groups are trying to work with FOC and the Sports Fishery Advisory Board for some time to get this dealt with without success unfortunately.

I and many others are hoping you will be able to re visit this in the very near future and open the fishery shortly that is a traditional fishery for many of us in years past.

I could add more but I am sure you are busy reading numerous e mails on this situation and others for this years salmon run.

I am taken the liberty of including a few key people including directors from the Fraser Valley Salmon Society that are very interested in this file.

I remain hopeful to hear an opening and thanks again for your quick response to my earlier e mail

Kindest regards

Chris

Director and founder of the Fraser Valley Salmon Society since 1984

PS presently in Lytton enjoying the 38.1 temperature, the warmest in Canada yesterday.

heading to Kamloops tomorrow.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:57:40 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

If so inclined this is who you can write to on this file. Dale.Michie@dfo-mpo.gc.ca;

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Is this a joke or you just keep trying stirring the pot?
I'd be very curious to see how you can bounce below Mission, total nonsense.
Also please give us some some sport catch numbers from the banana so we can get a grasp on the scale of that fishery.
As others already stated the Tidal closure has nothing to do with sockeye by-catch by sorties.
Have a nice day.

I didn't mention bb below Mission

Where it is done the usual technique is to toss a large buzz bomb and pull it through a school of porpoising sockeye . While you are right about the banana, I mentioned the Court's and DFO's rationale above.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Lots of good stuff said BUT...

Can we at least break up sentences and paragraphs.

It's easier to read....

Just a thought 8)

hrenya

Lots of good stuff said BUT...

Can we at least break up sentences and paragraphs.

It's easier to read....

Just a thought 8)
sure
why does tidal fraser closed for fishing springs ?
how many b/bs would get any luck in tidal fraser ?
why I have to pay full price for my license and fish between runs ?
when this b/s will stop ?
why I can use bar rig setup with 2 hooks 1 with roe , 1 with shrimp and say im targeting dollys/bulls , and it is ok sometimes / sometimes it is not :) but dfo office says its ok! and it is no fishing for salmon in fraser :)
if you want me to continue let me know , I will do

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

sure
why does tidal fraser closed for fishing springs ?
how many b/bs would get any luck in tidal fraser ?
why I have to pay full price for my license and fish between runs ?
when this b/s will stop ?
why I can use bar rig setup with 2 hooks 1 with roe , 1 with shrimp and say im targeting dollys/bulls , and it is ok sometimes / sometimes it is not :) but dfo office says its ok! and it is no fishing for salmon in fraser :)
if you want me to continue let me know , I will do

If you'd take the time to read and try to understand what I and others have contributed to this discussion I think you'd see all of these questions have been addressed. You may not like the answers but being a crank won't change that.

The thing to realize is any one can go fishing, you just can't fish for salmon. If you catch any you have to release them. If a CO or FO happens by you'd better be able to convince them you are not fishing for salmon. It hasn't happened to me since I don't fish the Fraser when it is closed to salmon fishing in summer, but I have heard from others FOs will often ask "how's the trout fishing? " or "hoping to catch a steelhead?". Just don't be clueless  and tell them you are actually trying to catch a salmon.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hrenya

If you'd take the time to read and try to understand what I and others have contributed to this discussion I think you'd see all of these questions have been addressed. You may not like the answers but being a crank won't change that.

The thing to realize is any one can go fishing, you just can't fish for salmon. If you catch any you have to release them. If a CO or FO happens by you'd better be able to convince them you are not fishing for salmon. It hasn't happened to me since I don't fish the Fraser when it is closed to salmon fishing in summer, but I have heard from others FOs will often ask "how's the trout fishing? " or "hoping to catch a steelhead?". Just don't be clueless  and tell them you are actually trying to catch a salmon.
just for u , I wasn't trying to catch salmon , but me and my bud did catch sea run cuttys ... on shrimp .... they were released , but your sarcasm about me trying to catch salmon when its not fishing for salmon is b/s .... I have quite  few buds from this forum and sharpshooks , I can spend my time with , and we do all kind of fishing around ..... u show me person who asked my questions , and answers ...

bigblue

• Old Timer

there is a ridiculous amount of coho in the straight...... So look forward to river coho action, It should be insane this year.

Coho fishing in West Van has been slow so far this year. Can you elaborate on your comment?

hrenya

West Van is Burrard inlet, hardly a sure way to judge the fall fishing :). The strait of Georgia is huge, he must be talking about somewhere else he has seen them. Hopefully he is right! West Van has been slow, but there are many around still, just not biting. Keep in mind though that unlike the past 2 years we had some good rains in June and a good 500-1000 minimum got up to the hatchery, unlike previous years where they got to mill about in the estuary until Sept rained.
yeah , rainy days were saver for those little buggers to make it up :) I`m really happy they made it , but sad to see gong show at cable pool trying to snag those "heroes" . I think cable pool should be shut down for fishing...

losos

Thanks Blair for you input and taking time to discuss with Linda this issue .
The last part of your letter is full of innuendoes :

"Weather is going to be very hot.  I think that i will go Swimming at Centennial Park in Tsawwassen. When there is a low tide .. it's fun to walk out and swim in the little pools.  There warm like a Hot tub."

Whatever ,if you're planning on sacrificing yourself in the name of the cause and date Linda I applaud it ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

If so inclined this is who you can write to on this file. Dale.Michie@dfo-mpo.gc.ca;
I met Dale's supervisor, Richard on the Nicola River yesterday while he and other staff where fishing for brood stock and doing a mark re capture program, will have some video I filmed up in a day or so.

Of course I had an opportunity to discuss the Thompson River jack chinook salmon fishery first hand and asked them to re visit the closure as soon as possible.

dobrolub

Does the acoustic counter Linda is mentioning has an online report?