Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1357452 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2490 on: November 04, 2016, 09:08:13 PM »

Again, do you really think they are buried (or not) because they have some disease brought on by salmon farms?  What disease?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2491 on: November 04, 2016, 11:16:14 PM »

Thanks for the links, I skimmed them but as we all know FOC has to try to back up, to this point why they have allowed these FF to grow and have an impact on our wild salmon stocks. That is OK as it makes us work harder to get them out of our ocean.

I was wondering why the Weaver Creek spawning channel bury their salmon after they spawn instead of putting them back in the creek, as you say and I agree it is so important for the health of a river or stream.  Is it they are infected with a disease they picked up from the FF's? :P

Conspiracy and speculation is so fun

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2492 on: November 04, 2016, 11:18:30 PM »

It went well as more people now understand how bad FF are to our wild salmon. Like anything it takes time to change things around when you have some people making a lot of money and who care little about our wild salmon, habitat, the environment etc...

We humans have done so much damage to our planet the last 100 plus years.

Just look in Chilliwack to the recent gravel excavations on the Vedder and the covering of A1 farmland, the best in the world for the new Molson's brewery  there, many people who think this is just fine or maybe do not understand the implications.

As long as I can, I will continue to battle to save what is dear to me and others, no matter that others say or differ on my opinion.

Having a hard time mentioning that other gravel extraction operation near Chilliwack, Chris? Who's the proponent for that one anyway?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2493 on: November 04, 2016, 11:27:16 PM »

Excellent article - a few quotes:

But here's the really diabolical part: salmon farmers have been knowingly putting virus-infected smolts into BC waters for years, while our government turned a blind eye. The practice is almost certainly illegal. Section 56 of the Fisheries Act states that the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans must ensure that farmed fish are free of disease before allowing their transfer into our ocean

Tons of other interesting info and links as well.

The world's largest salmon farming company, Marine Harvest, has begun a shift towards closed containment in Norway. Shouldn't we insist foreign companies show the same respect for our environment as they do in their own countries?

Are "Virus" and "Disease" interchangeable? Do you have evidence that those smolts released by Marine Harvest, that allegedly have PRV, had developed a disease because of it? If so, now is your chance to show what is currently just speculation based on no factual evidence.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2494 on: November 05, 2016, 03:51:09 AM »

Having a hard time mentioning that other gravel extraction operation near Chilliwack, Chris? Who's the proponent for that one anyway?
If you are talking about the Fraser River it is the Seabird F/N.

And here is a topic posted on another thread in relation to gravel mining the Fraser River you may have missed it.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40397.0

Sorry as we are off topic but need to answer your question.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 03:55:25 AM by chris gadsden »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2495 on: November 05, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »

Sorry, I should have contributed something to the discussion about Weaver Sockeye being buried because of some phantom disease.

Chum galore this season.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/chum-salmon-runs-record-levels-1.3837854

But according to Morton we have all the scientific evidence we need.

Petition manages only just over 7,000 signatures? Is that it? That would be a real poor turnout for a Canuck's home game.  More people take in Canada Day celebrations at different municipalities in BC.  Salmon Are Sacred Facebook page has just over 8,000 members, but the petition manages to get less than that? Not the majority of public support as some critics often elude to. But somehow MPs are being asked to vote in favour of this bill which essentially has very weak support? What this says is that Morton has been able to hold onto most of her followers, but unable to get wider public support.

banx

« Reply #2496 on: November 06, 2016, 05:23:28 AM »

I think the science is very clear regarding the burying of weaver sockeye. Irrefutable actually, it's to hide them from the sasquatch

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2497 on: November 06, 2016, 05:31:11 AM »

I think the science is very clear regarding the burying of weaver sockeye. Irrefutable actually, it's to hide them from the sasquatch
LOL!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2498 on: November 06, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »

I went to check the site out and there was signs of digging, you better set up a camera and you will be famous. ;D ;D ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2500 on: November 12, 2016, 08:02:26 PM »

Someone's going to get Shat-on real soon. As in Willy Shatner of Startrek fame. Net penning the dirty fish penners. Just saying.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/captain-kirk-beams-in-to-back-wild-salmon-protection-bill-1.3800195
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2501 on: November 12, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »

Was please to be on this journey from start to finish, missed SS in Kamloops and Dave in the Valley. ;D

https://vimeo.com/190969343

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2502 on: November 17, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »

No.
When was the last time a private members' bill was recognized?  Name an MP that would vote to put app. 5,000 people out of work?  Besides, I had some drying paint that needed watching.

Riddell will report the science; be assured of that.  He is as reputable as they come but I know you won't believe anyone that may possibly find no fault with Pacific coast salmon farms.
here is some on the bill for you to watch and Pick A Part.https://youtu.be/cd8cfmCHpOA

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2503 on: November 17, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2504 on: November 18, 2016, 04:35:14 AM »

And this is the result, as expected ;)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/ePetitions/Responses/421/e-270/421-00589_DFO_E.pdf
They are making this statement, when the results of your friend Riddell's study is not even out yet. Typical government way of doing things. I guess we know the results of the study before it is done or released. I guess more of our taxpayers money wasted.

We will continue on until you and others see the light, I hope it is not to late. ::) :'( :o