Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in the City, urban trout fishery discussion  (Read 6847 times)

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
Fishing in the City, urban trout fishery discussion
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:34:05 AM »

Do you know anything about the upcoming Como Lake stockings Rodney? The link below says it's supposed to be stocked with 4000! fish this spring but the hatchery only released the total number of 592 fish yet... ???

http://www.gofishbc.com/r2plans.htm

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »

i think if you look at that chart the numbers arent what they stock at one time but what they plan to stock over the season mentioned (IE: spring) just like the lake i fish it says 2 stockings 1 of 700 fish & then 1 of 2000, so far they have put in 700 & 768 fish so i assume it will get stocked twice more before they stop for the summer and start again in the fall. Just my 2 cents  ;)

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Nick78

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »

I think the same way too HOOK, but the spring stockings will last til about late May or early June i guess. How will they put an ammount of 3400 fish in that small lake in the time of 8 to 10 weeks...just wondering ???

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 04:09:38 PM »

they will put in large amounts probably every couple weeks like they do with Lafarge lake, at least thats what im assuming
Check out our new blog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:13:51 AM »

Nick, the stocking plan is simply a plan and most of the time the amount planned to be stocked will be quite different to the actual amount being stocked. Many factors are involved when the hatchery manager makes the decision on stockings. Consultations are done with staffs at Ministry of Environment, who do the assessments of biotic factors of lakes. These factors determine the timing and amount of fish. Creel surveys are also used to determine stockings. A lake such as Lafarge that receives high pressure tends to be stocked with more fish. If the lake seems to be underutilized, such as this spring at Como Lake, then stocking numbers maybe reduced. Time and staff availability also affect timing. Each large truck has the ability to carry enough fish to stock two lakes. Usually two lakes are stocked per day, four would be the maximum. A couple of days a week are used for stocking, as there are other duties that need to be taken care of back at the hatchery. Stockings in the Lower Mainland usually take place until second or third week of June, perhaps longer this year if the cold weather persists. Como should get at least a couple more stockings this spring.

Nick78

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 02:24:59 AM »

Tanks for your answer Rod! I know you can't plan exactly when to stock a lake but for the numbers you can and you have to know it because the hatchery needs to  know it too but a year before. I know what I'm talking about cause i did this a couple of times. Was just wondering about that, so many fish in such a short period of time. Also i live pretty close to Como and it's nice to take the Kids out there to the playground and Daddy can make a few casts... ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:52:24 PM »

Nick, phone the hatchery regarding Como, not just to find out about when it maybe stocked again, but also to let them know that there is an interest from anglers. As I mentioned in the previous post, stocking is also determined by how much it is utilized. Our last briefing from the COs indicated that Lafarge was quite heavily used, while not many people have been fishing Como Lake. The hatchery is always looking for feedbacks on their products so they'd be happy to hear from you.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »

I hope people have been letting them know Green Timbers gets heavily used and could be stocked more. today there was probably 40 people fishing (most retaining) and usually always 10 or more people there daily. For the most part only the fly guys are catch & releasing.....and some others but not many.
Check out our new blog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »

Don't hope, phone the hatchery. Good to see 40 people fishing it in one day, which meets the objectives of "Fishing in the City" program.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »

Lots of people out on lafarge lately. good to see a lot of people getting out there to enjoy that fishery. Oh, and Rodney, would you happen to know anything about the camera behind the recently built dock?

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:16:04 PM »

, would you happen to know anything about the camera behind the recently built dock?
maybe its a new web cam
now wouldn't that be intersting to watch :o
Lafarge is becomming quite the place to fly fish from boat or tube and also many more shore fishermen\women
"Fishing in the City" program. is working here for sure
I did see two young kids in an inflatable strugling in the wind today
only one of them had a life vest on :-\
Someone did loose there tube today too (ended up being chased down by his buddy in a tube)
but i won't mention any names

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »

If it is the same camera that was discussed with me at a meeting awhile ago, it is used in an angling participation study by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, not for public broadcasting.

Nick78

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 12:53:09 AM »

Tried Lafarge for the very first time today as my wife and her sister wanted to go to that big playground with my kids. What a Gong show! 8 people out with a belly boat + 1 guy in a rubber boat and the hole shoreline was crowded! Luckily I found myself a free spot. Caught my 4 fish in about 1 hour, 1 very small one and 3 fish with about 2 lb. But i don't know, that's not the real fishing to me...it's ok for some late afternoon fun. Rod, the problem is, the more fish beeing caught at Lafarge the heavier it is utilized, the heavier it's utilized the more fish will be stocked by the hatchery, the more fish will be stocked the more fish will be caught and so on...you know wht i'm trying to say.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 08:14:01 AM »

Lafarge should have a lottery system for access. Or a large gong installed on that platform.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 11:38:29 AM »

That's why I am not fishing there. ;)

Nick, Lafarge, Como, Green Timbers and Rice Lakes have been managed as "Fishing in the City" program so they can be used to generate angling interests from the public. As a result, like you said, usage increases and can be quite crowded at times. It all depends on what type of angling experience you are looking for when heading out. These lakes are typically used by entry-level anglers who do not mind sharing the lake with lots of people if they are able to catch some fish. Obviously some will continue going back again and again but many eventually will become bored and move onto better quality fisheries that are available in this province. It's impossible to expect to be fishing in near solitude at a lake that is so close to home when one lives in an urbanized area. That being said, there are still many lakes that offer the same catchable rainbow trout fishery near Vancouver. Alice and Edith Lakes in Squamish are two that I enjoy visiting when they are stocked.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=19

Green Timbers, Como, Lafarge, Rice, Sasamat and Mike Lakes are expected to be stocked this week (Wednesday and Thursday).