Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoons with a baitcasting reel  (Read 12281 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: Spoons with a baitcasting reel
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »

Thanks everyone for the tips will try it out.

I actually did not know spinning reels were that cheap, i nvr actually looked. Ill take a look theres an army navy really close to my place.
You can get away with using that cheap daiwa combo but it won't last you. Namely the reel will not last you. You will blow out the drag on the reel that comes with the rod...save some money and spend a $100 and you will have a fairly decent set up that will last you many seasons

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 11:04:27 PM »

Salmon are strong fish typically caught from rivers with current, so you do need a decent reel with a usable drag.
Considering the other expenditures to go fishing, an investment in a decent rod and reel could be a wise investment. :)

frozensalmon

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 11:31:32 PM »

baitcasting reel owns spincasting....
just have to play with it, just have to play it enough to get the true beauty out of that reel
more coho, more coho... ::)

JPW

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »

baitcasting reel owns spincasting....

Baitcasting reels generally seem to have a better drag system, which can be helpful playing bigger fish in the river.  Spinning reels are very easy to use, have great feel and can effectively bring in a big salmon, just takes a little more finesse.  Both have a time and place imho.

clujalolo

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »

Yeh thats what i was thinking with the cheap spinning rod, it'll just die after one big fish lol. Ill probably just play around with my reel, just got some new line so it is easier to throw. Might head out to the river today after work.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »

FWIW I have caught probably 100 cohos and pinks this summer on the $20 shock.  No probs.

Originally I purchased it so my son and nephew could use it without breaking my stuff but ended up using it all summer  :D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »

FWIW I have caught probably 100 cohos and pinks this summer on the $20 shock.  No probs.

Originally I purchased it so my son and nephew could use it without breaking my stuff but ended up using it all summer  :D

All I was saying is the reel on that rod isnt very good. Up north all summer I was nailing 10+ pound cohos on the same set up with a buzz bomb, it can handle them fine...but it doesnt take long for the reel too feel kinda crappy, namely the drag.
I dug out the same set up from my garage and took it on the river with me as its my only spinning rod rated for more than 6 pounds...I've played over 30 salmon this fall on it...I do plan to invest in a nicer reel for next season though.

one more cast

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »

I find adding weight hinders the action of the spoons. If you want to cast small spoons get yourself a spinning rod.

Put the pencil lead 'inline' on the mainline.
Add a small 2 way swivel next to your mainline.( keeps the lead from sliding down ).

Add a leader to the other end of the swivel and then the spoon last.

Works great for blades too.

I sometimes use a float... put on first.

Katopotato

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »

Someone on this thread mentioned the Abu 4600c4 as a good baitcaster for spoons/spinners. Can someone recommend a good rod to go with it?

I have used a Sage 2106/Silex combo exclusively, but there are times when I'd like to use a spoon or spinner when warranted by the conditions. In the past, I've tried a small piece of pencil led about 18" above the spinner but I really don't think that this is the optimal set up with the 2106/Silex combo.

I'm thinking of a rod about 7' to go with an Abu 4600. Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.