Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Misadventures  (Read 8090 times)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Fishing Misadventures
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:25:51 AM »

After reading about some of the close calls some anglers have had while out fishing on another thread.Thought i would start a new one. I was once out fishing the Cowichan river with a friend and had hiked into a spot a long disatance from where my truck was parked. He was not used to the hiking,bushwacking and climbing over rocks to get to good water spots to fish. During the course of the day,he ended up falling and twisting his ankle pretty badly.He could not put any wieght on it and was in considerable pain.As we were a long ways from the rd and i could not carry him out,we ended up making a crutch out of a tree limb and with my help,hrs later we made it back to the rd.That was the last time he ever went fishing with me. :'(

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Misadventures
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »

This summer I was by myself at a hike in lake with no one around.  Had a great lunch prepared including a Chinese sticky rice wrap.  Few bites into it got a piece of sausage or something lodged in my throat and choked, gagged and gasped for what seemed like forever until I was able to jam my fingers far enough down my throat and puke it up. 

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »

About ten years ago i was at Scale bar, sitting on the sand. I was cutting the line from 20 or 30 lb of lead and crap I had scraped out of the shallows.Took a drink from my beer and hey~ got something winged and angry along with the suds, and managed to spit it out before I got stung. Im not allergic but it would have been a LONG walk out of there with some kind of sting in my mouth  :P
Ive tossed rods into several rivers, got them back~
Hit a deer on the way to the river once...
My one time with a payed guide I had to jump start the jet by driving almost into the river with my truck
This year I had a rock under me shift and I went down on my left hand, one finger was swollen badly and my arm was tender for a few weeks.
That was a few days before I took a header off my pedal bike when I hit wet wood and it went down under me.I managed to toss my rod to safety before I landed on my left knee. My left side was not to happy for a while  :D

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 11:50:50 AM »

After reading about some of the close calls some anglers have had while out fishing on another thread.Thought i would start a new one. I was once out fishing the Cowichan river with a friend and had hiked into a spot a long disatance from where my truck was parked. He was not used to the hiking,bushwacking and climbing over rocks to get to good water spots to fish. During the course of the day,he ended up falling and twisting his ankle pretty badly.He could not put any wieght on it and was in considerable pain.As we were a long ways from the rd and i could not carry him out,we ended up making a crutch out of a tree limb and with my help,hrs later we made it back to the rd.That was the last time he ever went fishing with me. :'(

Some people are just not used to bushwacking. Probably better for him to stay home.
First time I went to the whack I ended up going for a swim. But I feel at home in the water.  ;D

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »

This summer I was by myself at a hike in lake with no one around.  Had a great lunch prepared including a Chinese sticky rice wrap.  Few bites into it got a piece of sausage or something lodged in my throat and choked, gagged and gasped for what seemed like forever until I was able to jam my fingers far enough down my throat and puke it up. 
That brings back a bad memory CT. When I was about 14 yo, a friend and I were fishing the Coquitlam near Colony Farm and we came across a dead fisherman laying beside a log. Long story short, cops told us later he choked on food and suffocated.

Last fall I couldn't sleep so I got up and headed over to a local stream at 5am to try casting at first light. It was still too dark to safely wade in the water so I sat on a log and opened my thermos. I saw a motion in the tree in front of me and there was a large owl sitting right in front of me. I thought, wow that's cool, he must not see me (which is weird for an owl I thought). I watched him (and he watched me) for about 10 minutes when he suddenly flew away. Amazed that I could sit that close to an owl for so long, I went back to sipping my coffee when I felt a whoosh of air just over my head. Figured the owl had buzzed me, thinking my hat was a rodent moving or something. I couldn't see it or hear anything so I put my thermos down and turned and stood up to take a look. Bam......owl hit me full on in the forehead. Talons cut my nose, cheek and forehead and top of my head. My baseball cap saved me from greater damage. Turns out it was a Barred Owl and the juveniles are very aggressive in the fall setting up new territories along river banks. Haven't looked at an owl the same way since.

dave c

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »

Just a few weeks ago was fishing Norrish and the water was extremely high.  I saw a spot just above the train bridge where a gravel bar disected the river in two. I made my way out to the bar crossing at the upper end.  The water was fast but only about knee high.  I fished the slower water at the lower end of the bar for about three hours.  I noticed that it was getting dark and decided to call it a day.  To my horror, when i turned around to exit at the upper end of the bar I noticed that it was now half its original size.  I looked around and i was the only one on the river.  I had left my cell phone at home (charging).  Within half an hour it would be dark and within an hour or two the bar would be under water.  Trying to keep calm I was able to find a stick about 6 ft. long and about the diameter of a softball bat.  I managed to cross the river albeit with a couple close calls.  The water height was now upper thigh, and without the stick i may have become a casualty.  Lesson well learned .... I will always take the time to occasionally check water levels in between drifts.  Still messed up about it to this day.

islanddude

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »

A couple of yrs. ago I drove 45 mins. north of Campbell River to fish off the rocks for salmon. One has to climb over a rock bluff and travel along a narrow trail before descending unto a rocky outcropping.The salmon come close enough to shore where you can cast to them. Most boats in that area when they see you there will move on. One boat came along and decided to fish right in front of me.Made a few cast behind his boat.Thought he would get the message. No. I decided to move along the rocks to get away from him. Next thing I know I am laying face down on the rocks.Checked out my arms first and my fisihng rod. All was good there. Both my knees were smarting from contact with the rocks. Stood up and took a few steps. They didn't feel that I had done any serious injury to them. Out of the the corner of my eye I saw the fish comming along the kelp bed and made a few cast. At that time I felt wetness near my left knee.Pulled down my rain gear and my jeans. Rolled up the long john on my left leg and there it was. A flap of torn flesh on the knee cap. I though to myself as I slowly walked back to my truck how fortunate that I had all that clothing on.Drove to the hospital in Campbell River.The doctor used six stiches to close the tear.I was on crutches for 6 days and took a year before my knee healed.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:42 PM »

I was fishing Roche lake in my 12ft with a friend. We were out most of the day in the hot sun, I was in the back, he was up front.
Late afternoon my friend sits up like he was about to say something, took off his sunglasses, his eyes roll back and he flops overboard. 
Now I'm holding his ankles, he's facedown floating in the water. I reached for him, but the side of the boat went under and gallons of water came in. I grabbed the back of his shirt and leaned back, I could hear his shirt ripping but I couldn't get his head up.  I was thinking I may need to swing his legs over to grab his head or shoulders to get his head up, but too scared to let go of his legs. I started pulling and pulling yelling his name, he woke up, turned his face out of the water and was able to grab the boat to get in.
he sat on the floor as we headed for camp.

my heart is pounding just typing this, and it happened 8 years ago.
I still see him floating face down, and his look of fear when he work up.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »

Jee wiz.
You guys have all these adventures while fishing.
All I ever do when I go fishing is well...catch fish  :D :D ;D ;D

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »

I was fishing Roche lake in my 12ft with a friend. We were out most of the day in the hot sun, I was in the back, he was up front.
Late afternoon my friend sits up like he was about to say something, took off his sunglasses, his eyes roll back and he flops overboard. 
Now I'm holding his ankles, he's facedown floating in the water. I reached for him, but the side of the boat went under and gallons of water came in. I grabbed the back of his shirt and leaned back, I could hear his shirt ripping but I couldn't get his head up.  I was thinking I may need to swing his legs over to grab his head or shoulders to get his head up, but too scared to let go of his legs. I started pulling and pulling yelling his name, he woke up, turned his face out of the water and was able to grab the boat to get in.
he sat on the floor as we headed for camp.

my heart is pounding just typing this, and it happened 8 years ago.
I still see him floating face down, and his look of fear when he work up.

No PFD?  
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »

No PFD?  

Young and stupid

Always wear it now.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »

Young and stupid

Always wear it now.

I don't know if I'd consider that a misadventure lol
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

Holy crap Canso!  That is crazy!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Steelie1030

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »

Many years ago I had a great day fishing the Chehalis for coho and I had crossed the river just below the hatchery channel to reach some awesome water. I told my buddy Kenny all about it and he agreed to go up with me the next morning. We got to the spot where I crossed the previous day in almost total darkness and started over. Almost all the way over I realized too late that the water had risen dramatically overnight. Kenny's waders filled and as I had neoprenes on, I started to float and drift away. Kenny was up to his neck and I yelled that I had to let him go as I could not feel the bottom. I was swept downstream for about 60 feet and I suddenly felt bottom and now in much shallower water was able to scramble out onto the bank. I left my rod on the bank, grabbed my flashlight and yelled to Kenny. He yelled back...in the light of my flashlight I could see that he was still neck deep and holding onto a low overhanging tree branch. Somehow, I managed to grab him by the collar and get him closer to the bank and with much effort drag him up. He looked like the Michelin Man his waders were so full. The weird thing here is that once we were both safe on the bank we started to laugh and couldn't stop. Once we regained our senses, Kenny stripped completely and we wrung out all his clothes and he put them back on. During this mishap Kenny had jettisoned his rod and reel. When he was putting his waders back on we noticed that his hook had stuck in the foot of his waders. We followed the line downstream and found his rod laying on the bottom in a shallow spot.He got his rod back but lost alot of his gear out of his vest. Another angler came by soon after and offered us his thermos of hot tea and also gave us some hooks, lead and wool. We spent the rest of that October day fishing. He was one tough dude. That was the last time I ever tried to cross a river in the dark.

norm_2

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »

Quite the story, Steelie1030.  Was Kenny wearing a waist belt?