Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another dismal season .....but hey happy holidays  (Read 5315 times)

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Another dismal season .....but hey happy holidays
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »

Well said bcguy, i couldnt agree with you more :) :) :)  i think we have to put all of our needs/attitudes aside, stop blaming and start working on a solution.
always a student

bcguy

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 12:42:06 PM »

I wasn't aware that the pinks or chum were in decline or endangerment, seemed to be a very healthy run of pinks this year, and chum....well do I need to say more LOL.
But I guess if there was a complete ban, there would be no question about targeting specific species, with others, namely sockeye, caught by mistake.
I really hope we don't get bogged down in bureaucracy, and me, me, me, before the changes are made, and our salmon end up going the way of cod
Tough times, require tough measures...so be it, time to just suck it up and get this dealt with!!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing the Fraser SHUT DOWN for a couple of cycles.  I think not only will the fish stocks improve, but also the fishing experience will be better as I think that a 2 year break on the Fraser may cause a reduction in number of flossers.

I'd prefer to just see flossing banned or leader restriction on the Fraser period, and put a zero retention reg on chum and pink... That will clear everyone out pretty quick.

Cheers,
Nicole
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 06:52:16 PM »

Looking into past escapement data no shutting down ever improves wild stock numbers.  The only result with shutdowns would be less funding since no one's there to complain.

This doesn't make any sense!!
Closing a river for fishing doesn't improve fish stocks??!!
Don't know where you got that!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 08:18:26 PM »

This doesn't make any sense!!
Closing a river for fishing doesn't improve fish stocks??!!
Don't know where you got that!

Likewise, where did you get the idea that closing down will help?  Give me a system that improved because of shutdown.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:19:57 PM by BwiBwi »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 09:53:14 PM »

It's a pity that your license money and conservation stamp funds don't actually go to where they would do some good. To get the real facts from this government would be like cloning Jesus from blood DNA in the holy grail. ::) There are lots of factors influencing the salmon and other fish stocks but overfishing by commercial type operations has usually caused the most damage, follwed by habitat destruction. You don't need to be a scientist to get that picture after awhile of living on the planet.

If they close the salmon to sport fishers you would think that monies used to improve habitat etc. from license sales would be detrimental. But in fact I doubt, and would love to be proved wrong that license money is actually going to those things. It probably goes into general revenue, for minister retreats and lunchions for all anybody could tell. You get your winter Olympics, some sh*ty mascots and highway to Whistler. You don't get money for fish or other wildlife. These guys like world class gladhanding not environmental issues. Others say leader length and bottom bouncing are destroying the fishery are either elitist, totally misinformed or being misinforming. I don't think flossing fish is ethical but neither is hunting animals with guns (or polluting habitat). I've done both and don't judge people if thats what turns there crank as long as it doesn't wipe out the fishery, kill all the animals etc.

Shutting down the fishery on the rivers also leaves them wide open to poaching because some people who make their living through sport fish charters etc would not be there to report violates. Or hunters and guides to report poachers.

I post some of these newspaper articles so that you can be informed of issues that affect what we appreciate and hope to see other generations enjoy and appreciate. I hope no one takes this the wrong way or a reason to push their ideals. It's just discussion to broaden your perspective on these issues.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 10:29:03 PM »

I believe we all wants the best for all of our resources not just fish.  Many cases government just want to illuminate a problem that's the easiest for them to deal with and direct all attention there.  In this case of fishery harvesting is a problem and to close it down is the quickest and cheapest method for governemtn.  However, reducing or stop all harvest will only slow down depletion but not recovery. 

What caused the first most significant reduction of Fraser salmon? Early 1900 railway expansion effort that almost choked all salmon migration up past Hell's Gate area.  It took the government over 3 decades to fix the problem. (as of current, west side low water blockage, is producing problem for migrating salmon during low water years)

Almost all depletion of fish stock global wide is a combined effort of habitat distruction and over fishing.  Current regulations manage harvesting to fish abundance, it leaves the habitat destruction and survival rate as the variable in fish stock management.  If habitat for these endangered species can be constructed to suit these species' best use strong young fish can be produced and increase ocean survival rate.

Many coastal water system has been closed to salmon/steelhead retention for decades.  Some just prior to clusure had a few spawning pairs left.  However, over the past decades, those system did not increase in fish population instead all dissappeared.

One thing for sure, no matter what our opinion is on fishery closures, we all strongly believe government is not putting enough funding into fishery.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:02:15 PM by BwiBwi »

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 10:19:49 AM »

I certainly could not agree strongly or forcefully enough that governments at all levels are not doing what is needed funding wise.Look at the obscene huge surpluses in past years.Instead of restoring and increasing funding we hear weasel words about how expensive and labour intensive former successful hatchery programs were.Yet if it is something a politician believes will make him look good then the sky is the limit when it comes to bribing us with our own money.Surpluses continue to rise and and fish stocks continue  to fall.Most of us are sick of the glad handing and mealy mouth excuses!I believe we need to start by putting more in instead of taking more away.The rivers south of here experienced much the same problems as us that depleted stocks,with greater population pressures and greater warming issues.The have had huge successes in many areas and continue to do so.We on the other hand appear content to let political decisions to be made which will ensure this downward spiral continues.Sorry for the rant just  my two cents worth.
Riverman