Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is happening there?  (Read 14662 times)

Murmillo

What is happening there?
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »

I am sure all of you noticed that there is a big gang show just down stream of the Vedder crossing. I and my friend went there to see what makes so many people together in a small place. After going there I got shocked. I saw 15 people fishing in fast water followed by a small hole. Big weight and long leader was the common gear used and result is obvious, Snagging. We stand there for 20 minutes and saw that at least 8 fish hooked within that short period of time and all of those were snagged. We were there at mid day, when normally fish movement is slow. So I can imagine how many fish is being snagged in that hole per day. Can’t we do anything? Or we just need to watch this kind of poaching and destruction of the fisheries?
We tried to talk with some people there and they act like we are alien..

milo

• Old Timer
Re: What is happening there?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:08:07 PM »

Every Day already mentioned it in another thread.
Easy access, close to a parking lot - a beek magnet.

Only thing that gives me some solace is that whenever anyone snags a fish, it causes quite a ripple - others have to stop snagging while the busy beek plays the fish. I like to think that during that window of opportunity, a bunch of fish manages to get through.
Bulldoze the bloody thing and be done with it.

It's so nice when you can catch a fish and don't even have to yell 'FISH ON", because nobody is around (except maybe a friend or two who you happen to fish with and who will stop fishing to lend you a hand if necessary).

boscheefish

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:22:19 PM »

Every Day already mentioned it in another thread.
Easy access, close to a parking lot - a beek magnet.

Only thing that gives me some solace is that whenever anyone snags a fish, it causes quite a ripple - others have to stop snagging while the busy beek plays the fish. I like to think that during that window of opportunity, a bunch of fish manages to get through.
Bulldoze the bloody thing and be done with it.

It's so nice when you can catch a fish and don't even have to yell 'FISH ON", because nobody is around (except maybe a friend or two who you happen to fish with and who will stop fishing to lend you a hand if necessary).

nicely said milo
long live the vedder

boscheefish

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:24:08 PM »

ooops, meant to just quote the last few sentences
long live the vedder

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 11:43:45 PM »

It sure is frustrating when you hear of crap like that. Guys spend money on good fishing setups and then resort to illegal practices to get their salmon. How people like that can be proud of what they catch always makes me shake my head. Also DFO should get down there as well as the local COs. If nothing else but to read the riot act and to hand out some tickets for snagging.  Not only are the snaggers giving salmon fishing a black eye as people  will stop to watch, but think of the damage they do to the salmon as they have to survive this gauntlet of hooks and then try and make it to their spawning grounds.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:22:39 AM »

It sure is frustrating when you hear of crap like that. Guys spend money on good fishing setups and then resort to illegal practices to get their salmon. How people like that can be proud of what they catch always makes me shake my head. Also DFO should get down there as well as the local COs. If nothing else but to read the riot act and to hand out some tickets for snagging.  Not only are the snaggers giving salmon fishing a black eye as people will stop to watch, but think of the damage they do to the salmon as they have to survive this gauntlet of hooks and then try and make it to their spawning grounds.
They have been there, tickets have been issued but I agree they should try to be there more.

As I said a couple of weeks ago if you remember, this is another downside of these pits.
Not only is gravel removal bad for fish habitat but it would create snagging grounds for some people, they are probally lined up there now as I typed this, ready to start the snag fest in a couple of hours. ??? ::)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:04:46 AM »

they should just close the river from the bridge down to there, as the cultus sockeye are sure to stack up in those holes before moving up.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »

they should just close the river from the bridge down to there, as the cultus sockeye are sure to stack up in those holes before moving up.

Why not from Vedder Crossing and down to Fraser confluence.  As low water fish will stay in various pools, oh and may be rest of the river as Chilliwack Lake sockeye move through entire system.   ::)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »

1 more thing

I have seen 90 % of fishermen releasing fish by putting their hands to the gill even they are fishing ethically

is it a safe practice to do so ?
hardware == fish

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:58:08 AM »

1 more thing

I have seen 90 % of fishermen releasing fish by putting their hands to the gill even they are fishing ethically

NO!  A fish should ALWAYS be tailed if you are going to release it, and it should be done so in 1-2 feet of water optimally.  The fish shouldn't be removed from the water (unless a quick photo is desired), and then the fish should be held gently into the current to encourage water to flow through it's mouth and out it's gills.

Fish's gills are perhaps the most sensitive part of it's body, and unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing (and even then you're probably still likely to do some unecessary damage), sticking your hand in there could prove deadly to the fish - think of it's gills as it's lungs, but exposed.  Would you want someone sticking their hand into your guts if there was a hole in your stomach?

Good question - now armed with this information, share it with others who may not know the proper way to release a fish.
:D
Tex

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »

1 more thing

NO!  A fish should ALWAYS be tailed if you are going to release it, and it should be done so in 1-2 feet of water optimally.  The fish shouldn't be removed from the water (unless a quick photo is desired), and then the fish should be held gently into the current to encourage water to flow through it's mouth and out it's gills.

Fish's gills are perhaps the most sensitive part of it's body, and unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing (and even then you're probably still likely to do some unecessary damage), sticking your hand in there could prove deadly to the fish - think of it's gills as it's lungs, but exposed.  Would you want someone sticking their hand into your guts if there was a hole in your stomach?

Good question - now armed with this information, share it with others who may not know the proper way to release a fish.
:D
Tex

exactly

people keep making topics about bb-ing but what about those fishermen that think a fish is a worthless kind of animal and putting their hands to the gill when release for easyness..
hardware == fish

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »

I'd like to add that once you have tailed the fish, turn it over, so it lies belly up in the water.
That seems to calm them down, and makes unhooking them much easier.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »

Great tip, Milo!  I always forget that seems to help calm them down.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »

They have been there, tickets have been issued but I agree they should try to be there more.

Chris, pardon my French, by issuing tickets doesn't mean squat!
Couple of hundred bucks is not going to deter this behavior.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upda
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »

Could someone enlighten me as to what the "abutment" hole is?