Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Aug 29  (Read 4932 times)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Aug 29
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »

I would advise you to get your stamp however, no matter how well you handle the fish, you still stand a good chance of killing one.   

Just because you killed it ( unintentionally of course), doesn’t necessarily mean you have to keep it.

cut plug

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »

Hi Nicole do you mind giving me the recipie for your famous pink fly? or a pic will be even better

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 10:02:14 PM »

I may be speaking apples and oranges, but in Washington State, if you kill it, it goes on your catch record card whether you keep it or not.  Also, in WA, if you use bait, it goes toward your limit regardless if you release alive or dead.  enough on limits.  I guess I don't have a problem buying a CR Card even if I'm keeping or not because a portion of the $$ is going toward protecting the resource I am using.   

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 10:35:30 PM »

Here you go...

The Pink Raver (tied on a low water salmon hook size 4 in this example, standard 4 is fine for dirtier water):

body: silver diamond braid, forward part of body has wrapped lead underneath
wing, pink marabou, with a few strands pearl crystal flash
throat: matching pink saddle hackle

That's it, the fly takes no more than 5 minutes to tie.

Have fun with it...
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 09:02:15 AM »

nice fly

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »

I would advise you to get your stamp however, no matter how well you handle the fish, you still stand a good chance of killing one.   

Just because you killed it ( unintentionally of course), doesn’t necessarily mean you have to keep it.

Page 9 of the fishing regs state it is unlawful to waste the fish you catch.  And the next one says it is unlawful to release fish in a harmful manner.  So, if you killl a fish unintentionally (possible due to incorrectly releasing a fish...or not) , it is unlawful to waste it which I would also presume to include not keeping it.
President Club S. C. & P.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »

If the river system is not open to retention of a fish and you unitentionally kill a fish, you must still return that fish to the water. It is not a "waste" as those nutrients go back into the food chain. You may not retain that fish! Otherwise everyone would say " It was dead or dying when I landed it so I kept it". If you keep that fish you will be charged with retention of a closed species. If you don't beleive me, try that argument on a Conservation Officer or Fishery Officer and see where it gets you.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »

first of all its pretty hard to kill a fish (unintentionally) unless you really don't know what you're doing.

obviously, it depends on the situation of time and regulation to what dictates an unlawful act.....if it is non retention, you must release the fish regardless of its state.  during an opening you are obligated to retain/record an injured fish....releasing injured or dead fish falls under the culling act.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 12:01:10 PM »

I beg to differ.  It is not difficult to kill fish unintentionally.  I have spent the last few years collecting thousands of fish for survey and scientific purposes.  I have observed several fish swim off apparently 100% healthy then go TU after a few hours.  Fish can die from stress just as readily as they can from physical injuries.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »

I beg to differ.  It is not difficult to kill fish unintentionally.  I have spent the last few years collecting thousands of fish for survey and scientific purposes.  I have observed several fish swim off apparently 100% healthy then go TU after a few hours.  Fish can die from stress just as readily as they can from physical injuries.

maybe so, but i'm referring to physical injury due to mishandling. ie...trying pull a hook embedded too deep into a fish's throat....holding it up by its gills, or by its tail....or allowing it to flop around on a rocky beach.

stress is something that can't be controlled, but proper handling can maybe minimize it......handling thousands of fish doesn't eliminate mistakes it just gives you a better percentile.

if stress is a major factor like you say, then maybe the C&R industry should be reviewed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:49:10 PM by blaydRnr »

bruce

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »

Could you please tell me how to accesss this river ? I will go there tomorrow. Thanks

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »

Hey Bruce this was my first trip there as well. As for direction the best I can do is look up government street in Squamish on google earth. There is an access road to the dike from that street. Once you are on the dike turn right follow the dike till you see the cars and follow the trail to the river. Sorry this is the best I can do as I do not know the area all that well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:32:43 PM by fly_guy »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 01:21:53 PM »

heading toward vancouver on government road you will come to a fork in the road. stay right and go across the train tracks, past the railway museum and you will see a small bumpy dirt road on the right hand side. go in there turn right at the top of the dike and follow the dike until you see all the cars. hope this helps.

good luck
derek
always a student

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »

I know it has been said over and over but remember that there is NO retention for any fish on this system right now....
always a student

bruce

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 01:41:56 PM »

Hey Bruce this was my first trip there as well. As for direction the best I can do is look up government street in Squamish on google earth. There is an access road to the dike from that street. Once you are on the dike turn left follow the dike till you see the cars and follow the trail to the river. Sorry this is the best I can do as I do not know the area all that well.

Thanks fly_guy, that is good enough.