Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low profile baitcasters  (Read 15306 times)

The Fish Hunter

Low profile baitcasters
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »

Hey!

Looking for opinions on low profile baitcasting reels for salmon and steelhead

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Low profile baitcasters
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »

That's all I use. I have 2. Abu Revo S and Quantum Pro Tour. Quantum reels are excellent and Revo just works for years.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »

Shimano Chronarch or Curado.

The Fish Hunter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »

Thanks! I currently have a Abu Garcia c4 6600 and a shimano Cardiff and I was thinking of trying a low profile reel now... I was looking at the shimano caius 200..... It's a good price... But maybe too cheap lol

I do like the looks of the chonarch!!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:51 PM »

Low profile baitcasters are a product of the competitive bass fishing circuit, and they suit that purpose very well. They are awesome on lighter 6-7 foot rods and up to 12-pound line test.
But frankly, I find the low profile baitcasters unsuitable for our West Coast 10 to 12-foot salmon and steelhead rods. They even look out of place when matched to one.

1. They don't balance the rod properly.
2. Their line capacity leaves much to be desired.
3. They tend to backlash when throwing out heavy setups.

That said, they are much easier to handle for hours on end compared to round reels, especially if you have small paws.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:59:50 AM »

Low profile baitcasters are a product of the competitive bass fishing circuit, and they suit that purpose very well. They are awesome on lighter 6-7 foot rods and up to 12-pound line test.
But frankly, I find the low profile baitcasters unsuitable for our West Coast 10 to 12-foot salmon and steelhead rods. They even look out of place when matched to one.

1. They don't balance the rod properly.
2. Their line capacity leaves much to be desired.
3. They tend to backlash when throwing out heavy setups.

That said, they are much easier to handle for hours on end compared to round reels, especially if you have small paws.

Milo, I disagree on all points.
Low profilers are the best thing for Lower Mainland rivers, wouldn't use anything else.
Regular reels are clunky and waste a lot of line.
I can fish all day and not feel a thing and I never ran out of line.
That's all I've used for the last 5 years and would never buy a regular reel again unless it's for salt.
They balance rods perfectly since all new rods are much ligther.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:32:42 AM »

Low profilers are the best thing for Lower Mainland rivers, wouldn't use anything else.
That's all I've used for the last 5 years and would never buy a regular reel again unless it's for salt.
X2,Luv my ABU Revo

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »

Many gear rods are "clunky" - tip heavy as a result of a heavy blank or heavy, double footed guides.
A properly built rod has a low swing weight is very well balanced with a low profile reel.
I use a Curado 200E7 with Slick8 braid on my 11'6" custom and I like it a lot better than my upgraded Abu C3 for balance and weight.
The Abu casts smoother, though I have stock bearings in the Curado.
The only downside is that these smaller reels have smaller drags. I was hesitant to crank it down on chum last fall and burned my thumb a bit  :-\

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »

i have the quantum energy pt its fantastic that and the shimano canien both fantastik both aRE PAIRED WITH THE LIGHT ACTION old shimano convergences they are fsntastic

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »

Once you start using low profile, there is no going back for most people.
I use an older model Curado E7 on my Lamiglas or Sage rod and it balances perfectly.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »

Each to their own, Sasha.
I tried a state-of-the-art low profile baitcaster reel 10 years ago matched to my TFO 3113 drift rod and didn't like it one bit. Everything felt wrong (see points 1-2-3 above). But then again, my hands are really big...low profile baitcasters feel like toys in my hand.
I will stick to my classic round reels for what is left of my fishing lifetime...and I have a very handsome collection for just about every application. But I do encourage people to try out different setups and find what suits them best. My point of view is just that: one person's perspective that I am happy to share.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »

Each to their own, Sasha.
I tried a state-of-the-art low profile baitcaster reel 10 years ago matched to my TFO 3113 drift rod and didn't like it one bit. Everything felt wrong (see points 1-2-3 above). But then again, my hands are really big...low profile baitcasters feel like toys in my hand.
I will stick to my classic round reels for what is left of my fishing lifetime...and I have a very handsome collection for just about every application. But I do encourage people to try out different setups and find what suits them best. My point of view is just that: one person's perspective that I am happy to share.

We agree to disagree  ;)

waterbearer

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:24:23 AM »

Abu revo 3 stx reel super light,great drag system ,smooth casting,great for braided line and very hard to backlash the with new break system.
Personally I'm done with heavy baitcaster

hotrod

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »

I like the low profile bait castors! Last year I went out and purchased the Abu Revo! I started to have problems with the release button on the second trip out that could not be solved! It kept getting stuck between engage and disengage! Brought it in right away for a once over and back out to the river with it! Once again, same problem! Other than that it , when it was working properly and very smooth casting and a great drag. But still problems with the engage button. Was very frustrating!

Then I had it replaced with the new Daiwa Lexa! This reel was designed to give the revo a run for its money! Daiwa did not disappoint! I feel that the casting is pin point accurate, smooth drifts, An actual anti-backlash system that  works that can be adjusted to suit your needs extremely accurately. The high ratio retrieve  is superb and the drag system is accurate and super strong. I have been using this with my sage 2106 rod all winter and have to say it is a much better reel than the Abu Revo! Over and above it by a long shot!

hotrod

waterbearer

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 08:06:47 AM »

I like the low profile bait castors! Last year I went out and purchased the Abu Revo! I started to have problems with the release button on the second trip out that could not be solved! It kept getting stuck between engage and disengage! Brought it in right away for a once over and back out to the river with it! Once again, same problem! Other than that it , when it was working properly and very smooth casting and a great drag. But still problems with the engage button. Was very frustrating!

Then I had it replaced with the new Daiwa Lexa! This reel was designed to give the revo a run for its money! Daiwa did not disappoint! I feel that the casting is pin point accurate, smooth drifts, An actual anti-backlash system that  works that can be adjusted to suit your needs extremely accurately. The high ratio retrieve  is superb and the drag system is accurate and super strong. I have been using this with my sage 2106 rod all winter and have to say it is a much better reel than the Abu Revo! Over and above it by a long shot!

hotrod

Which revo did you get cause they are 12 different ones on the market including the gen2s from last year .The 2013  revos  are top notch as long as you don't get something below the stx .