Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Interest in a Poker Tournament Fundraisor?  (Read 12188 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Any Interest in a Poker Tournament Fundraisor?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 09:35:57 PM »

What the hell is RIck jAMes??? :D I think HE HAD hair.....I'm in!!!

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 11:42:12 PM »

Dave I think its a good idea to raise some funds to donate toward enhancing our rivers wether it be  the vedder or other systems.I don't think a person has to be a member of a known organization to make a difference after all this idea of yours as an individual is to raise some money to donate to a worthy organization that can make a difference.As i told you on the phone i would be willing to help out any way i can,let me know and we will get the wheels turning.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 01:09:37 PM »

Sorry Cammer its not that i don't believe you and i do agree with what you are saying regarding having more individuals join some of the organizations in order to have a larger voice,but i don't think it is a bad idea to have some of the eager anglers from fwr or anywhere else for that matter join in a fundraiser event in order to make a donation to one of these groups to help deal with some of the issues we are dealing with today,further more an event of this nature will get people together with common interests and hopefully for some it will mark the beginning of being more involved which could mean higher enrollment in some of these groups you talk about,everyone of the people that are consistently involved with these groups in the best interest of our resource had to start somewhere with their commitment to the resource, and over time the commitment levels evolved to the level of people such as Bill Otway And Chris Gadson ,etc .I believe Its  a good thing to get as many people involved in any way we can it can only have positive results as compared to doing nothing,for some of the people an event such as this could be a springboard to further involvement and that would never be a bad thing. :) :)
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 03:02:59 PM »

Good work Dave in this effort to raise funds for the clay slides on the Chilliwack Vedder. With the recent rains and the flood as most know a number of problem slides have been opened up. Until they are repaired we will most likely be faced with many days of unfishable water conditions.

We started CRAC back in 1997 and nearly 10 years later we had done a good portion of the repair work giving us many enjoyable fishing days not to mention the work has reduced siltation which of course is good for both insect and fish life.

Now we are back to square one it appears. Good on you Dave for realizing help is needed which means fund raising to get the needed work done. Every penny that can be raised will be put to good use. Lets get behind Dave and the other organizers to get this off the ground, I am sure it is possible to raise a fair bit of change, although I have to admit I know nothing about poker. ::)

How much money is the Living Rivers Trust putting into this???

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 03:23:04 PM »

Alright guys Lets get this going. I talked to 5 or 6 other people who will participate. Also I can donate a few prizes and get the poker chips needed. I will help in anyway which is needed!
weeeeeeeeeow!

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 04:15:46 PM »

count me in.  I will donate some flies as a prize as well.  An idea might be to buy something, like a 200-300 dollar prize such as a rod or something with the buy in money and then the rest would go to the charity of choice? 

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 07:45:17 PM »

thick rick  "you now know who isnt going to help"??  that makes me laugh,i do way more for fishing in BC than you have any clue about!!A group of eager anglers off FWR will hold zero weight when it comes down to the decisions that matter     but if you guys belongs to CRAC or BCWF, BCFDF or TU ,FFF   you might get some results,   my whole point is get organized under one umbrella if you guys/gals want something done, otherwise doing something will end up just like nothing.

exactly I know you aren't willing to help this poker tourney... you think it is a waste of time, so there you go !! I heard what you had to say and I don't agree... so you and you're organizations can do what you do and we will do what we do ... you're comments aren't helping this in any way so I am asking that you don't make anymore..
TR
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 07:47:23 PM by thickrick »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »

I'll donate to the prize table as well...(maybe I can find a rick james wig :o)...something good  2...

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 09:51:54 PM »

Thnaks to those that are offering up donations already!!  Fisherforever, very generous and when we wind up getting this thing off the ground, we would glad accept it. Mind you, the way I think, you might as well play.  You never know, all it takes is some cards and a bit of good luck!! ;D
 So in trying to see about getting a place to hold this event, I will be making some calls tomorrow and when I have more info for an update I will post it up.  So if I don't post in this thread for a couple days, doesn't mean that there is nothing happening.   :)
  I see there is lot's of interest and people willing to do what needs to be done.  But first things first. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 10:19:21 PM »

One more suggestion is that evreryone could bring in a few non perishable food items to be donated to a local food bank.  This would be a good time to help out another cause as well during the holidays. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2006, 09:01:29 PM »

Anything further on this BS?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2006, 10:57:33 PM »

Anything further on this BS?
Yes there has been some further news on the fundraiser.  I have been in contact with the powers that be at the Rod and Gun Club.  We can have the space for the night for a very fair price.  So that is a plus.  I have also talked to a couple of tackle shops and so far the response from them is very encouraging.  Had a discussion about the fundraiser at the in-laws place over fondue last Sunday, telling them about the hills that need be climbed over to make this work, and got around to talking Posters and tickets for the event.  To make a long story short, I believe that if we could get them designed, the in-laws would print them out at their work, as a donation I guess.  So that could help out a bit as well.
 Now for the bad news, or maybe good news, since I am a total rookie at this fundraising sort of thing.  I will have to back out of heading the organization of this fundraiser for personal reason that I don't feel need to be discussed.  This is a bad time of year for me, for those that have a good memory.  Nuff said about that. 
  Anyhow, I really hope that someone will take the bull by the horns and continue this as there seems to be a good amount of interest.  Anyone who wants to go ahead with the booking of the clubhouse, email me or pm me and I will give you the contact numbers for this.  As for the tickets and posters, if you get them designed I will talk to the in-laws more about getting some printed up.  As for canvassing the local tackle shops and whomever else I could help out a fair bit with that as well.
  Don't know what else to say other than that I really hope this gets off the ground, and I will do what I can to help. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2006, 02:45:23 AM »

I think hes Bluffing.  ;)
The Bigger The Better!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2006, 07:14:28 PM »

Anyone wanna take charge???
weeeeeeeeeow!

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2006, 10:42:25 PM »

Hey,

If someones looking to get the ball rolling you can contact this guy that did a pretty bang-up job for a hockey team fundraiser poker tourney I played in last year. He is very good, his price was like $300 ? but its not much considering he governs the entire game and oversees all disputes and problems.Really good when you have 100+ half corked beerleaugers playing cards for money cuz the guy kept it all under control. The guy makes it really easy and straightforward.They combo'ed it with a cheap 3 dollar drink bar with beer and other liqour and raised a lot of money. Heres the info off the business card he gave out :

Teacher-Dealer-Gambler Extraordinaire
Terry Havlik
778-881-4071
poker@havlik.ca
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown