Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Interest in a Poker Tournament Fundraisor?  (Read 12253 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: Any Interest in a Poker Tournament Fundraisor?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 10:06:21 PM »

First talk to Chris as I believe that they are going after Living Rivers Fund and that is where the money for the slide should come from.

The Living River Fund is set up for things like this and needs to be used.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 10:40:44 PM »

I am totally interested.. I like the online poker thing... that way we dont have to meet all at one place... and plus the would save money because we dont have to pay for a rental.....

as long as we keep the buy in cheap  i would say 50 bucks i feasable
see ya on the river

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 02:40:12 AM »

The clayslide problem requires a much bigger funding than what private donors are able to give due to its size. Like OBD mentioned, large funds have been applied and some have been set aside for current and future projects. In the past Pacific Salmon Foundation has been a major contributor to the Chilliwack River Action Committee. I'm sure Dave, the president, is already on the planning stage to acquire more for the new problems.

That being said, raising fund from a bit of fun poker can be a good idea. I have a suggestion. There are projects that require smaller amount of funds to get a kick start that private contributors can help out. Since bbronswyk2000 is in the process of getting future Allouette/Coquitlam/Kanaka River cleanups started, maybe he can set up an account and these small funds can be given to this account?

River cleanups do require money to operate. If not donated, money is needed to purchase gloves, garbage bags, insurance, advertising, etc. Luckily, the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition is mostly funded by Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the City of Chilliwack and Fraser Valley Regional District so we can continue these quarterly cleanups. Some seed money to start the North Fraser tributaries cleanups may blossom into something just as big.

Not to hijack Big Steel's idea, to further fund bbronswyk2000's project, it may interest readers to hold a friendly day derby on a regularly stocked lake next spring. Derby entry can be ten bucks, heaviest four daily quota wins. Such a derby would support the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery, as well as providing funds for another cause. Just an idea to toy with.

johnny

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 09:18:36 AM »

I'd be in! I love playing... I'd even be into a FWR poker day if the fundraiser idea doesn't pan out!
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 09:23:19 AM »

Hey Rod,

Why on earth do you need insurance for a cleanup? Just curious...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 10:29:25 AM »

That is a great Idea Im in forsure, I can get another 3 to 4 guys also, !!!!!! Lets do it
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 12:21:09 PM »

Well, I think there is enough interest for something to happen.  Just not sure what though!!  Rodney has a few good points, thanks Rod. 
The reasons I was thinking the Vedder would be a good benefactor of a fundraiser are simple.  First, it is the most heavily fished river in BC and takes one heck of a beating.  The Vedder also has the biggest run of Steelhead in BC.  So, being that I love my steelheading and I know there are tons more guys out there that feel the same way, I was hoping that we could do something to help.  This I figured would mean a lot to the community and the tourism that the river brings in.  The damage that the siltation could and more that likely will do is something that could hurt the future cycles of migrating salmon for years to come.   As I stated earlier, in the first post, I know this work would cost more that what one fundraiser could ever hope come up with,  and that there are funds in place to help out with what ever work needs to be done, but to me any more could be a big help.  Other ideas perhaps, what about using this as an opportunity to raise money for the Hatchery, perhaps to do more in the enhancement of the lack of Coho returning to our rivers, not just the Vedder.  I may be a bit biased, mainly because for some reason I love the Vedder and want to see it return to what it was even 4-5 years ago when I started fishing it, when I as a fairly new fisherman to bc, couldn't keep the Coho the end of my line.  Next to the Steelhead, the Coho for me, is the Salmon of choice. 
  I know that there are other rivers out there that need help, and perhaps we should set up other fundraisers for those specifically, but since I have been on the Vedder hundreds of days, and have seen first hand how it has been going down the tubes quickly, this is the River that I wanted to help.  I may be on my own in this opinion, but the Vedder is to me, my home river and needs our help.
 I know that I am just rambling on right now, and probably have lost a lot of you already, but the Vedder is still a prime river for now, and I would like to help keep it that way before it falls even more.  So, yes let's do what we can for all of our rivers.  But at this point in time, for me anyways, the Vedder is the one that I feel needs the help.  So many people and businesses depend on this river. So many people look to this river for great memories and peace and relaxation.   
  A great thanks go out to all that do what they can for the rivers they love.  I am sure we all want our rivers to still be there for our future generations, so every little bit we can do, for whatever river we choose to help is a big step in the right direction.

In saying all that, what says we get something like this going?  The money raised to go to what is needed most.  Like I said, I will help out where ever I can.  This was just an idea, anyone can feel free to run with it and see what we come up with. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 12:41:21 PM »

Hey Rod,

Cheers,
Nicole

Just in case people fall in the river and become fish food so Chris and I won't get sued. ;) Funny though, once we sat and read "what's not covered" in the insurance that we paid for, it sounded like that we are not covered for anything!

Just about any event that one organizes requires insurance these days, sadly. Fish for the Future that I do each year requires 5 million dollars liability insurance by the City of Richmond.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 05:50:36 PM »

Hey Rod,

Cheers,
Nicole

Just in case people fall in the river and become fish food so Chris and I won't get sued. ;) Funny though, once we sat and read "what's not covered" in the insurance that we paid for, it sounded like that we are not covered for anything!

Just about any event that one organizes requires insurance these days, sadly. Fish for the Future that I do each year requires 5 million dollars liability insurance by the City of Richmond.
whoa 5 mill!!! thats a big amount
weeeeeeeeeow!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 06:07:49 PM »

Yap that's the 3rd party liabilities insurance right?
That's why it's hard to hold organized events.  Too much legal issues to deal with.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 09:29:51 AM »

I think that Dave has a great idea with a poker night to help the clay bank situation.. saying that this would be small potatoes and that it needs more funding is a ridiculous statement IMO.. that is like saying don't vote because one vote won't make a difference !!!!
I say we go ahead with this idea and raise as much money as we can.. when we present a cheque to them I am sure they won't say no because the amount is too small !!

so now we need to start doing some research !!
an online [poker night wouldn't work I don't think because all of these online games are for profit!! they will not give up any of their profit towards something like this.. and it is too impersonal I think.. getting everyone together on one night for a fun game will not only raise money but it will increase the amount of awareness .....
How bout we get a list of names of all the people that are willing to help organize something like this
then we can see who we have to work with and then we can assign jobs for each person.. we will need volunteers for a number of different things..

I'll go first :)

1- Rick Lewis

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 05:13:48 PM »

Well, you know  I'm in, I am working on something right now.  I'll let you know how it works out! :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 06:00:57 PM »

this is what im talking about, Big Steel not to pick on you but ,,,>>> the biggest steelhead run in BC????? your so far off!! and you have only fished it for 5 or so years doesnt give you enoughof a background on that river, hey  go and have fun, meet people and gamble, all for it, instead of giving money for clean up , keep the winners pot so he/she can join clubs so they can actually make a difference with numbers behind them, believe me,  all you new fisherman have  very little impact by yourself
Thanks for your concerns Cammer, but don't you think it is better do go out and do something than to sit behind a computer and just talk about what should be done?  I am not a new fishermen, I have been fishing for 25 plus years.  When I said that the Vedder had the biggest Steelhead run, I should have worded it differently I suppose.  But there is no denying that the Vedder has the biggest run that is most accessible to lower mainlanders, that cannot make a trip up to mid/ northern bc.  Anyhow, all this is besides the point, this is what I suggested for the Vedder, not for the other rivers in BC.  If you read back, I also suggested that other things could be done for the other rivers of concern, but this, if it happens will be done for the Vedder.
  Anyhow, as far as your comment about new fishermen having very little impact, even if this was true, isn't a little impact better than none?   I could go on, but what would the point be.  If you want to help out and support it, then great.  If not, well that is up to you.   ;)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 06:54:38 PM »

So now that we know who isn't willing to help ... who is ????
lets keep the ideas coming, and please if you have nothing productive to say can you just keep it to yourself ...

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 06:58:57 PM »

Good work Dave in this effort to raise funds for the clay slides on the Chilliwack Vedder. With the recent rains and the flood as most know a number of problem slides have been opened up. Until they are repaired we will most likely be faced with many days of unfishable water conditions.

We started CRAC back in 1997 and nearly 10 years later we had done a good portion of the repair work giving us many enjoyable fishing days not to mention the work has reduced siltation which of course is good for both insect and fish life.

Now we are back to square one it appears. Good on you Dave for realizing help is needed which means fund raising to get the needed work done. Every penny that can be raised will be put to good use. Lets get behind Dave and the other organizers to get this off the ground, I am sure it is possible to raise a fair bit of change, although I have to admit I know nothing about poker. ::)