Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okuma Aventa  (Read 8167 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Okuma Aventa
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

Hi all,
Anyone using Okuma Aventa centerpin reel?
I would like to introduce less technology into my fishing and considering trying a centerpin setup.
I was told by a fella at a local shop that this reel is a good reel and good value.
I want to try this reel before I go out and fork out money for an Islander or such.
Any comments about the Okuma reel would be appreciated.

Thanks

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Okuma Aventa
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:35:03 PM »

Spend as much money on a reel as you can.  The Okuma is cheap for a reason.  The start up is pretty bad, this makes it hard to cast.  A well maintained Milner will last a lifetime, this is not true with an Okuma..

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »

Spend as much money on a reel as you can.  The Okuma is cheap for a reason.  The start up is pretty bad, this makes it hard to cast.  A well maintained Milner will last a lifetime, this is not true with an Okuma..

Thanks chumwhisperer. I don't know if I will like the centerpin setup so I don't want to spend the top dollar now. If I like it I would probably get a kingfisher.
I tried the pin setup years ago from a fellow I met on the river and wasn't really impressed.
So I like to start slow.
Thx

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »

An aventa is a perfectly fine reel for starting out. You can easily upgrade the bearings to increase performance in it and its cheap to buy to get started. Throw some ABEC 7 bearings into an aventa and it'll spin just as good as a Milner. Be sure to clean the grease out of the bearings (as that is what all bearings come packed with from the manufacturer) and soak them in some oil. That alone to the stock bearings will make a huge difference. As for "start up" when casting a rod is FAR more important. A rod that has a slower action would be better as it allows the rod to bend and "load up" while making a cast. A stiff rod does not allow this and puts a damper on castability and accuracy.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Pin-nook

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:28:47 PM »

I don't know if I will like the centerpin setup so I don't want to spend the top dollar now. If I like it I would probably get a kingfisher.
I tried the pin setup years ago from a fellow I met on the river and wasn't really impressed.
Thx

Don't buy one...the Fad Bus is already getting crowded!! I'm not saying you're getting into it to be cool but I could remember when you rarely saw them and now 2 out of 3 guys is using one and even the the Pro Flosser with the Simms gear from head to toe and Sage rods and only been river fishing for 1-2 years. 

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »

An Aventa is a good starting pin. It does take a little bit to start up but this if fine for a beginner. This is because it will not backlash as easy as a smoother spinning reel. Just add a bit more weight and you should be fine in terms of casting. Make sure that the center screw is always tight because if does tend to fall out and can ruin your day if you lose it.

mojo7

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »

Spend as much money on a reel as you can.  The Okuma is cheap for a reason.  The start up is pretty bad, this makes it hard to cast.  A well maintained Milner will last a lifetime, this is not true with an Okuma..

This ^^^^^^

I did the exact same thing you're thinking of doing. I wanted a simpler setup as I used to use the Abu 6500c and it always wore out and parts had to be replaced plus I liked the idea of no drag system, just you and the fish. I wanted to try a centerpin so I cheaped out and bought the Okuma. It performed fine for the first while but the drag system was ( I don't know if it has been changed since I bought it 10 years ago ) made of plastic and it wore out and came loose and wouldn't hold the reel in place. Can you say rats nest???  >:( The screws that held the handles and reel seat in place always came loose and they used  cheap steel screws that over time ended up stripping.

I finally had enough and went and bought a Milner Kingfisher. Night and day difference as far as design and parts quality. Metal clicker, stainless screws and high quality aluminum. I've never had to replace anything. I haven't touched the handles  and the clicker is as good as the day I bought it 7 years ago. I know for a fact I will never have to buy another reel for the rest of my life (currently 48). The only maintenance required is keeping the bearings/bushing clean and oiled.

If you're going to buy a centerpin and you do a lot of fishing then do yourself a favor and buy good quality as it will last forever and give you no hassles. If you do go for a Milner I promise you it will be the last reel you'll ever need to buy. I went through several  6500c's and the Okuma.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »

Don't buy one...the Fad Bus is already getting crowded!! I'm not saying you're getting into it to be cool but I could remember when you rarely saw them and now 2 out of 3 guys is using one and even the the Pro Flosser with the Simms gear from head to toe and Sage rods and only been river fishing for 1-2 years. 

Ridiculous. Did you ever think maybe it's because it makes the experience more enjoyable?
That fighting a fish is more fun?
Do you really think that stranger on the other side of the river gives a rats a** what you're fishing with?
Next year it's going to be the cool new thing to fish a level wind cause nobody will be doing it right?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Robsrsx

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »

I  own an  aventa,  bought  it  this  spring,  and I'm  suprised  at  how  many  people say  bad  stuff  about  it,  mine  is  fine,  start  up  is good,  the  handles are kinda  cheap   but  its  not  a $500  reel,  the point is  it  gets  the  job  done  at  a  good  price,  specially  for  someone  who  is  just  starting  out  or  can't  justify spending a  fortune  on  one.
 I  owned a  river  runner  before  this  one,  so it not  like  I  have nothing  to  compare  it  to. I  will  probably  upgrade  the  bearings  if  they  start  to  go  but  for  now  there  is  nothing  wrong  with  them.   
  just a quick  FYI,  if a  centerpin  reel  actually  has a  drag system,  by  all  means  use it, but like  most  center pin reels which don't  have one,
pleae don't confuse the clicker  to  a  drag  its  so  anoying  when  you  hear  someone  fighting a  fish  with  the  clicker  on ::)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 07:46:20 PM »

theres a used aventa in the buy & sell right now ! not mine hehe
buy that..... if u hate centre pins u can always sell it for what u bought it for, or when ready to upgrade u can sell it for what u paid for it !

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »

I  own an  aventa,  bought  it  this  spring,  and I'm  suprised  at  how  many  people say  bad  stuff  about  it,  mine  is  fine,  start  up  is good,  the  handles are kinda  cheap   but  its  not  a $500  reel,  the point is  it  gets  the  job  done  at  a  good  price,  specially  for  someone  who  is  just  starting  out  or  can't  justify spending a  fortune  on  one.
 I  owned a  river  runner  before  this  one,  so it not  like  I  have nothing  to  compare  it  to. I  will  probably  upgrade  the  bearings  if  they  start  to  go  but  for  now  there  is  nothing  wrong  with  them.   
  just a quick  FYI,  if a  centerpin  reel  actually  has a  drag system,  by  all  means  use it, but like  most  center pin reels which don't  have one,
pleae don't confuse the clicker  to  a  drag  its  so  anoying  when  you  hear  someone  fighting a  fish  with  the  clicker  on ::)

Thanks, I don't like the clickers either...

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 07:46:51 PM »

theres a used aventa in the buy & sell right now ! not mine hehe
buy that..... if u hate centre pins u can always sell it for what u bought it for, or when ready to upgrade u can sell it for what u paid for it !

Yes, I left the guy a message.  :)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »

Hey Fin are those abec 7s sealed or not?
I just degreased my abec 3s and my I can get my islander to spin for almost 6 mins.
Still thinking about doing the upgrade too.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »

Chinese ABEC 7's are far less quality than European made ABEC 7's. John Milner uses German made bearings if I remember correctly.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.