Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are your reel choices for pinks?  (Read 7644 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
What are your reel choices for pinks?
« on: September 17, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »

Spinning or baitcaster?

What do you prefer when fishing for pinks?

I like the ease of casting lures with spinning reels, but I hate dealing with the dreaded line twist.

Baitcaster reels are good since I don't have to worry too much about line twist, but I have to deal with birdsnest line issues.

And since most lures for pinks are heavy enough to cast with a baitcaster reel, I prefer baitcaster equipment. 

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: What are your reel choices for pinks?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »

Fish type doesn't really have much to do with the choice of reel as much as the fishing conditions and types of terminal tackle.
If you have line twist you are not filling the spool with line properly

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:38:23 PM »

I meant line twist as when reeling in the lure, especially when spinners.

I have never heard of a fisherman who used a spinning reel with a lure such as a spinner who did not have to deal with line twist at all.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »

Do you tie your lures directly to the main line or use a snap swivel ?

I have never noticed any twist when using a snap swivel with spinners or lures

I would also lean to the side of the line not being put on the reel properly. if done right it shouldn't twist. Spinning reels need to be loaded a certain way especially if done by hand.

If you have them done by machine then they should be removing the spool from the reel to load it
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »

I have used lures with the snap swivels and the line would still twist, usually only when I used spinners and sometimes spoons when fishing with spinning reels. I could be casting surface lures such as floating Rapalas for hours, and not deal with line twist. Only once I use spinners, then the twist start to happen, not always really badly, but it would still take some work to untwist it.

As for loading fishing line, I prefer to load it with a pencil through the middle of the spool while between two heavy books such as White Pages or Yellow Pages. I always load it slowly, so I could easily detect any twisting, which usually never happens.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:56:47 PM by Long_Cast »

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »

I've never has an issue with the line twisting, but I also tie a barrel swivel to the main line, then attach a leader about 1ft long then down to the another swivel attached to a spoon or spinner. ever had any issues, but i use the double swivels because I like using flourocarbon leader.

I use a 7 ft med light spinning rod, with a smaller shimano spinning reel loaded with 8lb maxima ultragreen main line, and a short bit of 6lb leader on a barrel swivel to remove line twist.   Its a fun set up that i can use in most river systems for pinks, and coho most the time.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:12:39 PM by Ezio »

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »

That's interesting that people aren't having much problems with line twisting....

Currently, I've been using an old school spinning reel with no line twist prevention roller technology near the bail.

Before, I've been using a Shimano Symetre which I sold the reel to a member on here (10 years ago) and that reel had a lot less twisting issues with lures.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »

is that how you load your spinning reels or baitcasters ?

the way I was taught to load spinning reels to prevent line twist as the line is put on was to lay the line spool flat on the floor (label up). run the line through the very bottom eye (or bottom two if your bottom section has two) and then onto the reel. Reel in the line from a distance 2-3 feet directly above the line spool and just fill it, hold tension with a couple fingers along the rod above the reel, don't go crazy fast because you want the line to come off the spool properly without the spool moving.

I load my spinning reels by hand doing this and have not dealt with line twist since. If you go directly in a straight line you end up adding twist from the line spool onto the reel spool making line twist actually worse. Going directly only works if you remove the spool from the reel and lay it on its side (like a levelwind spool would sit) and then fill it. this is what they should do at the shop when they use the machine
Check out our new blog

RiverRunner

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »

i have ran into problems with swivels not working propor causing line twist. If you use your gear in salt water it often effect it over time, causing line twist.. Good idea to get new swivels every season.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »

I never even thought people would re-use snap swivels after salt use. I check mine before each outing if i'm lure fishing, if they are not moving properly I toss them. I do the same with swivels when drift fishing as well
Check out our new blog

Ian Forbes

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:01:31 PM »

I only fish for Pinks with a fly rod. But, I'm not above fishing gear when there isn't any other practical means. A lot depends on the water depth. Traditionally, Pink salmon are shallow running species and seem to prefer small lures to big ones. That means you need a reel that will cast light lures easier. Spinning reels can cast far lighter lures than level wind reels or center-pin reels. Pinks seldom exceed 10 pounds and are more likely to be between 2 and 4 pounds. That means light tackle is suitable for landing them. I always go for the best reels that I can afford. I have less problems that way.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »

I meant line twist as when reeling in the lure, especially when spinners.

I have never heard of a fisherman who used a spinning reel with a lure such as a spinner who did not have to deal with line twist at all.

I haven't had issues with line twist that I can remember. Use new line. I think if you use older lines that may happen.
I never keep one spinner on my line for too long, generally change them out frequently and that may have something to do with it as well.
You can also you a barrel swivel with a leader to your spinner. I only really use Blue fox spinners and spinners may have something to do with it as well.
One season I was whacking cohos exclusively with a spinning gear and blue foxes. I don't recall line twist. Maybe your line is too thin.
Also make sure you spool your line onto the reel correctly.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:13:29 PM »

Good quality barrel swivel or bead-chain swivel.
Line twist is something that can happen even if you have the best swivel etc.
You can untwist your line by paying it out with nothing attached at the end and take it for a boat ride.
Wind back on and good to go.
Not sure how to do it on land as ive never had bad enough twist casting from the beach.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 09:30:57 PM »

Never encounter any line twist with my spinning reel.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »

If I'm not fly fishing then i use my ultra light spinning combo which is a tiny abu garcia on a 5'5" ultra light rod....it bombs the lightest lures out there a mile and this way I am fishing longer as well as having even more fun when I do catch a fish, and I'm not under-gunned at all btw.

I will point out that I only use this set up when fishing the tidal portion as the non tidal has too much current where i like to fish and the ultra light would be too small

What I don't understand is seeing fellas fishing their 10'6' baitcasting sticks for pinks, I mean if that's all you have then fine, no problem , but if you have a small spinning rod I personally find them the "go to" for pink fishing if your a gear guy.