Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing dog  (Read 7655 times)

kalex60

Fishing dog
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »

Wanting to adopt a dog to train and bring fishing.
Wanting to know what breeds would be idea for this

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing dog
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »

Would probably be better with a lower energy breed like a lab.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »

Definitely not a Russell Terrorist ! :D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:31:46 AM »

Wanting to adopt a dog to train and bring fishing.
Wanting to know what breeds would be idea for this

What size of dog do you have in mind?
Do you have a yard?
Do you have small kids in the household?
Is your lifestyle (other than going fishing) active?
Do you have a regular work schedule or do you work shifts?
Do you have a lot of free time?

There is much more to adopting a dog than meets the eye.
Some of the best fishing dogs are "one person" dogs; others are happy to belong to a human 'pack'. That's a very important consideration if you have a young family.

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:01:35 AM »

Get a Collie........their long coats mean you get to enjoy that lovely wet dog smell for many hours after fishing and spending an extra hour brushing crap, and the occasional lure, out of their coat so the wife will let the dog back in the house is always fun. And I hear they will go get the Ranger if you fall in the river, although I never actually tested that one........ ;) ;)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »

I have 2 dogs that I take with me every once in a while. About 20-25 pounds. Poodle and a poodle cross.
Both a really hyper and social butterflies so I stopped taking them with me when I can avoid it. I was spending more time watching them then fishing.
They really want to play with anyone.
I would go with Canuck and say get a lab. Labs are not necessarily a low energy breed(it's the individual dog) but are good all around dog.
Most important is that you get a dog that's loyal so doesn't wander around. You want the dog to stick close to you and not pester everyone on the beach.
Labs have a good water repellent coat and are made for water. But they can smell like a dog which some people don't like.
Terrier breeds are loyal but have strong prey drive and a hard to train so chances are they will chase anything and everything.
Labs are much more disciplined.
Also border collies can incorporate both loyalty and discipline. But they might not like water (which is ok to me).
You can find a many border collie breeders and rescues in the fraser valley.
But like Milo said you have to evaluate your situation.
Border collies are working dogs and need to work. "Need to".
They will become very destructive if you don't exercise them every day for an hour or two.
So I would say border collie first, lab second.

Bandit420

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »

Would probably be better with a lower energy breed like a lab.

American Labrador's are not low energy dogs, my Black Lab is 9 years and seems to not slow down. even with proper training, they are a handful.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:37:16 AM »

I have 2 dogs that I take with me every once in a while. About 20-25 pounds. Poodle and a poodle cross.
Both a really hyper and social butterflies so I stopped taking them with me when I can avoid it. I was spending more time watching them then fishing.
They really want to play with anyone.

Same here with the poodle cross.  Great dog hiking/fishing/camping but I only take him if I am in an isolated area with no one around.  He also thinks coyotes and other wildlife are his friends  :o

Kenwee

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »

Nova Scotia Duck Troller is a nice dog to have on the river. Medium size like a small Golden Retriever.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »

Everytime I've taken my Golden to the river, he thinks my float is his ball...and we're playing fetch. You can see how that works out. Maybe having a water / retriever dog like a Lab isn't the best idea. Also Labs are great don't get me wrong but I've seen alot of very stupid Labs. On the other hand I've also seen and hunted with some very brilliant Labs.

Whatever dog you choose, I would get them out on the water and in your boat if you have one at a young age.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 06:01:10 PM »

Here's a few pictures of mine:

Amaruq (aka Boogs) is 1/2 Timber Wolf (Yukon North Slope) and 1/2 Alaskan Husky (Inuvik, NWT).
He usually weighs in about 140 pounds or so, but due to the lack of steelhead (and therefore our usual Winter Streamside Exercise Routine) he's currently up over 160. We'll get that pounded out of him (and ME!) soon now though methinks!.

This type of Hybrid is Definitely NOT for Everyone! HUGE amount of Commitment, Time & Love involved!
That said, he is The Best Companion for wandering the rivers I've ever had!
Woe Be to any Bears that decide to mess with either of us! He has a Serious Hatred for them! LOL!
Damn Good with People though! He either Likes you (just ask Tad!) or is simply aloof. And given his size and Look, the Idjuts certainly tend to stay Far Away!

All Round PERFECT in my books!

Cheers,
Nog

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 07:07:34 PM »

Nog is an Alfa and the boss for the Boogs, but I and Amaruk are a very good friends since we met first time when he was only  5 weeks old.
 I love the way he checks on me every few minutes when we wander wild upper Stamp. I have to say that I like his company better than most people I know. 8)

norton

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »

I've fished the rivers for years and have taken my dogs with me. I had a black lab for 14 years and he was a great dog and could follow me if I waded across the river .  Then I had a couple of German shepherds and they were great at the river also , and could swim right across the river if they had to. Currently I have an Airedale terrier and she loves the water also. I have a small dog also , but the trouble is that if you wade across a side stream, you have to pic him up and carry him over , as he's too small to swim.  So if you do get a dog that you want to take fishing I'd get one that is big enough and strong enough to follow you across a side stream. I would suggest you get a pup and take him to the river when he's small , no matter what breed, then he'll get to love the water.

thewilliamswall

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »

I hope you find a great dog that will be a good companion.

That said, please train your dog so he doesnt bark at the trees for hours on end. Also, all the other fisherman would love it if your dogs dont run up to them in the water every 5 mins. Your dog is YOURS and should stay with you. thanks.

Ya, "Guy with the 2 dogs at slesse", this post was for you...

4TheKids

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 08:59:53 PM »

A well trained "water" dog is your best bet. A Lab is pretty at the top of this heap. I have a well trained Pointer who likes to run and "hunt" but she doesn't like the water. I never have and never will take her fishing. It just isn't in her nature.

A while back I did have a great experience when an aquaintance brought his Yellow Lab along. This dog was well trained and knew the fishing routine. It took great pleasure in standing beside you in the water while you cast. The right dog can make a great  companion.

Oh yeah... don't forget that dogs like to bring scents home with them, even dead fish scents.