Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 6th 2014  (Read 6301 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 6th 2014
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »

Good on you for educating someone on their illegal activities and calling them out like they deserve. We need more people standing up for what’s right instead of just shrugging and turning a blind eye though I would not support physical confrontation. Observe, educate, and if required, record evidence and report it.

Having said that, the idea of literally slapping the fish out of a poachers hand made me laugh out loud.

At least in my experience, the taking of non-retention fish is usually a result of ignorance of the regs or species misidentification. Not a valid excuse of course, but once pointed out to the violator, they have always expressed surprise and regret, then return the fish to the river (post mortem) with a lesson learned. If they just shrugged and kept it anyways, I would hope that everyone following this thread would at minimum report it properly.

Thanks for the report. I was out last weekend and it was even slower. Glad to see some people having at least some modest success.

Tenz85

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »

Two, three or four wrongs don't make it right - but sometimes you just have to do what seems right at the time. Look, I get where you're coming from but man that situation could have turned ugly for you. Props to you for having the balls to do what you did but honestly, don't confront poachers in that way. These guys are probably well aware that they are doing wrong and may not have the morals to not slug you or worse yet, stab you.

Like you said, you get it. We all get it - but poachers are criminals and they don't get it because they don't care. I'm glad it didn't escalate into something more serious and that you were able to go home to safely your family after a nice day out on the Vedder.
we are beating a dead horse.

Your a magician and you made his fish dissapear....for free

BN
lol

banx

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 01:58:11 PM »

That's some good karma coming your way fly fishing magician.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »

LOL - thanks for the posts guys!

One thing I noticed about the coho bites is that they were ultra subtle.  On the handful of fish that I hooked, my float didn't really move - hardly even a twitch!  In fact, I think the float just started to slow down or even stopped moving in the slow current.  There were also times when I completed my drift without a bite, and when I reeled in my roe was gone.  Gotta love the coho bite in low/clear conditions.

Magz

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »

dont worry about what other people think. some people only learn the hard way. good on you. if we had more people that stood up for the fisheries their would be less of this happening.
x2

norm_2

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »

FlyFishin, what gram weight float do you use?  Thanks.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »

when fish are biting soft you need to use a light float that can detect smaller bites. coho can be very soft mouthed. i like 20gram or 25gram floats personally.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »

20 g Drennan Piker is my go to float.  I'll also use a 20 g DNE as a back-up.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »

20 g Drennan Piker is my go to float.  I'll also use a 20 g DNE as a back-up.

20g?? No wonder your float doesn't sink... ;D I've been using 11g Pikers and that doesn't even get pulled down much, actually considering going down to the 6g tomorrow.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 08:05:16 PM »

LOL - thanks for the posts guys!

One thing I noticed about the coho bites is that they were ultra subtle.  On the handful of fish that I hooked, my float didn't really move - hardly even a twitch!  In fact, I think the float just started to slow down or even stopped moving in the slow current.  There were also times when I completed my drift without a bite, and when I reeled in my roe was gone.  Gotta love the coho bite in low/clear conditions.

Couldn't agree with you more. I noticed this too, very frustrating.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »

I've never caught a coho float fishing, only jigging, and spinners/spoons. Everytime I've caught one it was like a freight train hit. This roe business seems like it's more work than it's worth lol.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »

Aaron buddy !!

I wish I was there to see you do this. So out of character, just like the once or twice I've heard you swear LoL

We need to hit the flow in the coming weeks and catch up  :D

You still on holidays after the long weekend ? Looks like I'll be headed to afternoon shift for those 4 days and plan to fish

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »

20g?? No wonder your float doesn't sink... ;D I've been using 11g Pikers and that doesn't even get pulled down much, actually considering going down to the 6g tomorrow.
Yeah, that should do it but consider a 2g for the fine work :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »

From my personal experience, catching them on hardware is a lot easier than float fishing for them with roe. Guys who stick to float fishing and trying to get them on the subtle takes because it's addicting. With that said, I haven't had a single fish grabbing the hardware except the coho jack this morning. The rest have all been on roe.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »

both ways have their rewards. to be honest i dont know which one i like better.