Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 6th 2014  (Read 6300 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 6th 2014
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »

Stratocaster and I checked out the river this morning with another buddy. The first light bite was fast!  Maybe 30 - 45 minutes tops.  I was fortunate enough to land a nice hatchery coho of about 6 lbs. Otherwise, we all lost the other coho we hooked (just a handful each).  Stratocaster and I even had a double header (coho each) at one point, but both of us lost our fish right at the same time!  My other buddy lost 3 coho when his casting thumb bar on his luna failed to disengage when he tried to set the hook.  Ouch!

As for other fish, I released a nice chrome jack spring, and Stratocaster released a 25 - 30 lb spring buck.  I lost a spring doe as well.  All in all, a nice day fishing - but a very challenging day for coho to say the least.

The water conditions were low and clear.  We seriously need some rain now.  On another note, I saw one guy land a hatchery sockeye doe.  He was about to give her the rock shampoo when I approached him and advised that it was a sockeye and must be released.  He proceeded to tell me that it was OK because it was a hatchery fish as he started to put his fingers into the gills.  At this point, I did something I thought I'd never do.  I swatted the fish out of his hands, and the fish fell into the water and swam off!  He didn't argue with me, and went back to rigging up his snagging outfit.  He looked like a pretty skilled angler, so I think he knew what he was doing.

I saw just one other coho landed and that was it!  Pretty brutal right now.  Lots of springs and chum now.  Good fish pull, but not what I'm targeting.  Good luck and have fun out there!

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Chilliwack River, October 6th 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM »

I swatted the fish out of his hands, and the fish fell into the water and swam off! 

Hey Aaron.   Do you think you are really smart to do this kind of move on another person's hand. I know you are trying to educate him, but i think you take things a bit too far.  Should phone the D.F.O.  RAPP line.   Don't try to be a hero...It just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:33:50 PM by leapin' tyee »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »

Point well taken.  As you (hopefully) know, this is very "out of character" for me and I will not do this again.  Yes, I agree with you - make the call to DFO.  It was actually quite a "civil" discussion.  It's not like we were yelling at each other or anything like that.  But when he started to place his fingers in the gills, I just figured he didn't want to get the message.  No excuses on my part however.  Thanks for the comment.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »

Hey Aaron.   Do you think you are really smart to do this kind of move on another person's hand. I know you are trying to educate him, but i think you take things a bit too far.  Should phone the D.F.O.  RAPP line.   Don't try to be a hero...It just my 2 cents

Re-read his post, this guy knew what he was doing.  He knew that sockeye was closed but tried to argue that it was a hatchery coho.  Obviously he didn't know who he was dealing with.  It wasn't so much a swat as a push and FFM did not touch the angler, only the fish.  The angler did not protest because he knew he was wrong.  He probably would have released the fish anyways with a little bit more persuasion.  FFM did him a favour and saved him from possible fines.  Every situation is different.  I wouldn't have confronted someone if I was outnumbered 5 to 1.  This guy did not seem to be aggressive and besides, I was there as a backup.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:56:09 PM »

Point well taken.  As you (hopefully) know, this is very "out of character" for me and I will not do this again.  Yes, I agree with you - make the call to DFO.  It was actually quite a "civil" discussion.  It's not like we were yelling at each other or anything like that.  But when he started to place his fingers in the gills, I just figured he didn't want to get the message.  No excuses on my part however.  Thanks for the comment.

Hey Aaron.

No sweat, I know you are a nice guy. just want to do your part. Just stay safe at the river Tight line... ;)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 09:57:20 PM »

No sweat here - thanks.  Hey Stratocaster - thanks for the backup bud!   :)

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »

I was there as a backup.

That's what buddies are for ;)

Tenz85

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 11:11:27 PM »

You forgot to snap a pic of him then get his licnec plate number and report him to the dfo as well. Jk but as mentionned be safe. Things will only get more heated as the peak season approaches and long weekend nears.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »

Such violent behavior cannot be tolerated on the Vedder. How do you think this other fisherman felt being fish slapped? How do you think the fish felt being caressed by one individual only to be slapped by another.

What has this wonderful river become? ::)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 08:35:45 AM »

Such violent behavior cannot be tolerated on the Vedder. How do you think this other fisherman felt being fish slapped? How do you think the fish felt being caressed by one individual only to be slapped by another.

Four points:

1 - I get the message, thanks.

2 - "fisherman"?  You mean poacher.

3 - "other fisherman felt"? - He deserved to be called on his poaching (I didn't touch him at all, just the fish).

4 - "fish caressed"?  The fish was about to have its gills ripped out.  I didn't wind up and punch it for goodness sakes.  The fish is in much better shape than if I didn't intervene.

Now can we get back to the fishing part please?

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »

Rieber, you have to use more smiles to  show your tongue in cheek intentions.  :) ;) :D

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »

dont worry about what other people think. some people only learn the hard way. good on you. if we had more people that stood up for the fisheries their would be less of this happening.

calfisher

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:14 AM »

A few years ago I was fishing the Abbotsford side of the canal downstream from KWB.  I had a great location and fishing roebags in a sweet spot where springs were holding.  I hooked up and landed a number of large springs that were dark but finally landed a 28 lb chrome spring that I kept.  One of my best days ever on the Vedder - Chilliwack.

One of the guys fishing below me came to see the fish and find out what I was doing to be so successful.  He spoke limited english but after a few seconds I asked to see his hook.  As I had guessed the barb was still on the hook.  I explained to him that since the barb was still on the hook, the fish could see it and would not bite.  I also mentioned he could not fish with barbed hooks for salmon according to regulations.  There was a scramble with him and 4 others to share the one pair of pliers to pinch the barbs.  They were not fishing roebags or fishing in that sweet spot, so I doubt they had any success.  They were however fishing according to the rules.  There was no confrontation, just information about the rules and maybe a little white lie.

Cal

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »

Four points:

1 - I get the message, thanks.

2 - "fisherman"?  You mean poacher.

3 - "other fisherman felt"? - He deserved to be called on his poaching (I didn't touch him at all, just the fish).

4 - "fish caressed"?  The fish was about to have its gills ripped out.  I didn't wind up and punch it for goodness sakes.  The fish is in much better shape than if I didn't intervene.

Now can we get back to the fishing part please?

Two, three or four wrongs don't make it right - but sometimes you just have to do what seems right at the time. Look, I get where you're coming from but man that situation could have turned ugly for you. Props to you for having the balls to do what you did but honestly, don't confront poachers in that way. These guys are probably well aware that they are doing wrong and may not have the morals to not slug you or worse yet, stab you.

Like you said, you get it. We all get it - but poachers are criminals and they don't get it because they don't care. I'm glad it didn't escalate into something more serious and that you were able to go home to safely your family after a nice day out on the Vedder.

bluenoser

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »

Your a magician and you made his fish dissapear....for free

BN