Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser August 1st  (Read 6147 times)

Aurora

Re:Fraser August 1st
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 11:16:49 PM »

Went to Fraser for some fishing this afternoon and got a couple Sockeye.....   Met some nice people as well.  Right place at right time I guess.  One thing that did surprise me is that the Sox I saw this weekend are not nearly as bright as last weekend.

Cheers :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 11:29:49 PM »

can you wade to pegleg bar now or is it still boat access? far fo many at bar iv'e been fishing at and too far to travel.

Took a drive by there yesterday and saw fellows wade it.

Two channels to wade, the second looked a little tougher but if you know how to read the river you should be ok.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 11:30:17 PM by chris gadsden »

TtotheE

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 11:33:02 PM »

I met a couple guys who were casting out to Victoria  ;D catching fish like maaaad.

Noticed a couple things today.  Number one, casting far doesn't require you to wade 5-10 feet out infront of the row. Just giver a lil more of a flick and sharply stop the rod tip at 11:00.  I could understand if you were gaining a good 20-30 feet by wading out to your armpits, but for the extra 5-10, just use more flick. Number two,  if the guy above you has a fish on its usually good nature to step away and free up some space.  You never know you may see a rod passed down to you. Number three, keep your rod butt approx. 90 degrees with your line.  If a fish does a head shake and your rod is pointing at the fish, you'll lose the fish.  Use the rod as a shock absorber!

Caught my 2 upstream of Agassiz. It certainly wasn't a slug/snagfest,  but the fish are coming through.  It certainly feels slow compared to other years.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2004, 11:46:26 PM »

Sage advice (no pun intended)

pinkwool

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 01:19:01 AM »

First day sockeye fishing today. Hooked 4 socks, took two home. No springs for me today :)

Dynamite kid

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 03:07:36 AM »

Trout Slayer ,I certainly didn't try to swamp you guys .Jet boats create very little in the way of waves when up on plane ,so I tend to move by small boats quickly to minimize the waves I give off.I only passed by that area once today and I was hugging the queens bar side ,you sure it was me?.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 07:39:35 AM »

leadbelly is your name jim macdonald by chance ???

heck no.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2004, 08:36:39 AM »

sry wrong guy ;D

Bantam_50

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004, 11:26:49 AM »

Tried Island 22 this morning, no luck. Then ran up to Peg Leg and Lisa and I both caught one each. Nice size fish, 7 and 9 pounds. Some people did well others not so good. Saw a few Spings taken. Lisa had one on as soon as we arrived, but lost it after it burnt her thumb :'(
 Lots of people fishing from shore, but not driving out yet. One huge yellow Ford made it out but that's it.
Good Luck. ;D

Yeah Norm I seen the 4x4 hero also....also seen a stock 4x4 get stuck and had to be pulled out after spinning out crossing back over the first channel.

Wouldn't it be better to just use them 2 legs God gave you and park the vehicle. If Pegleg (and anywhere else that involved crossing side channels still feeding the Fraser... especially Herrling...which btw had 2 idiots drive across) were met to be driven to...wouldn't they have built a road?

Dynamite kid

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004, 01:50:38 PM »

Um,there is a road on herrling  ::).

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2004, 03:06:43 PM »

Trout Slayer ,I certainly didn't try to swamp you guys .Jet boats create very little in the way of waves when up on plane ,so I tend to move by small boats quickly to minimize the waves I give off.I only passed by that area once today and I was hugging the queens bar side ,you sure it was me?.
I know it wasnt on purpose or anything.... we were going thru the rip rap just before the nets on the leftof us heading upstream, you gave plenty of room but the wake combined with the current made us bounce up and down hard.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2004, 03:42:57 PM »

Yes DK would not do something like that, me on the other hand........ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 Just kidding TS, heading up to Tunkwa soon??????
Any Springs on you Fraser fishing days TS???????
Tunkwa maybe in September. Saw 2 Springs on the weekend, about 10-15lbsers. Felt good to not go home empty handed for once on the Fraser this year. ;D

Bantam_50

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2004, 06:27:09 PM »

Um,there is a road on herrling  ::).

Yes DK there is a road to Herrling ...used exclusively in the the late fall\winter months when the back channel has DRIED up.  :D

They actually built up the road last year...but that doesn't mean you ignore the SIGN (right in front of you, after the train tracks, up on the tree) which states you're crossing a fish bearing stream. If there's no water, n/p....but should we wash our undercarriages of oil, fluids and sludge, then send it down our salmon bearing waters?  ::)

Dynamite kid

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2004, 08:57:49 PM »

Seems to me that a few people crossing the road at Herrling is hardly the concern ,what about the hundreds of atv's that rip apart the creek bed after the salmon spawn in the fall(chum and pinks both spawn here).This is the whole reason that they raised the road,so people would be encouraged to cross there and leave the rest of the creekbed alone.Anytime someone use their vehicle to cross waterways they should be aware of the problems associated with leaking oil and such ,not to mention that water can get into their engine thru these same leaks.I hear Herrling is very snaggy and not very productive anymore,should preobably be left to float fisherman ;D.

otto

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2004, 08:59:20 PM »

yea i guess i should have been clearer in my post elsewhere, in regards to the Herrling Island road. the road is only for Treefarm trucks in the late fall (for tree harvest), when the channel has dried up. Emergency vehicles also use the road , for obvious reasons . it was not intended nor not meant to be used to access the island................

so i hope no one on this forum has used the road lately.....i did last year during the dry spell, and once in the wet spell, but was permitted  to use it due to a rescue training course...

8) 8)