Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 1st 2009  (Read 4279 times)

drh

Re: Chilliwack River, February 1st 2009
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 06:41:01 PM »

Hello!!!!!
I think your mistaken if you figure us fisher folk are tired of the journal.Just look at all the instantaneous views you get on any topic you post.Besides your good at it [the journal that is  ;)] and its something we look forward to in steely season ,Right everyone.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »

Very nice fish Chris, but I think we are getting a little ripped off with such a small report  ;D . What happened to the journal?
I at times think people get tired of reading them, maybe later after I enjoy eating some of today's catch. ;D Saying that I wish more people would write them too.

Unfortunatly I have been at home not able to fish  :'( as my son has been recovering from surgery. I will be out next week and as soon as I am done doing physio 4 days a week then during the week as well  ;D . The journal is all I got as searun is still drawing a blank this year  ???   :o

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

camtheman

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »

chris dont stop please
they make for great reading and are very informitave
as for others writing their own anything about fishing is a good read so don't worry about grammar and all that bs

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »

I noticed in the picture it was on the ground...... Even if its a hatchery fish and your going to keep it you shouldnt have it on the ground its bad for the fish.

;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 08:24:01 PM »

I noticed in the picture it was on the ground...... Even if its a hatchery fish and your going to keep it you shouldnt have it on the ground its bad for the fish.

;D
Beak, you Island guys are all the same. ;D Actually it was on the ice which they say is a good place to keep fish on, so there. ;D ;D

Actually I am writing a further report so you can pick it apart too. ;D ;D ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »

Nice chromer Chris.
Looking forward to the more detailed journal type report.
I would report but ive only been out 3 times and the top of my float is still dry.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »

It's hard to make out the Maple Leaf in the photo. :-\ Maybe Rod can Photochop it. Where's the journal?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »

It's hard to make out the Maple Leaf in the photo. :-\ Maybe Rod can Photochop it. Where's the journal?
Coming shortly, I guess I need to replace the logo it as it is a bit battered like its namesake. ;D

Buck_wife

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »

Or last year when you sat on its mid section and was unaware of it until I told you... I've never seen a rod that can bend in that manner without breaking
oh my, when I read that I literally laughed out loud!

Chris, knowing you, you probably wear your church clothes under your waders, rush off to the river, rush to church, whip off your waders, (which probably looks just as bad at church as it did in our driveway,except this time your money is going in the collection plate :D) sit in your pew while quietly picking off the dried up roe on your fingers, (fellow church goers are wondering what the heck the odd smell is!!) and then rush off after church to fish again. ;D
you are one of a kind....that's for sure!  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »

Once I get in the habit of getting up early, especially in the steelhead season I just cannot not sleep in so today was no different. Besides I like to be able to report the river conditions the best I can for those that may wish to make a trip to the Vedder. I understand many have to drive a fair distance before they can make their first cast so I believe it helps to some degree. Of course with the on going clay bank slides the conditions can color up in a hurry if more clay falls in.

I am no hurry to get to the river so I get a bit of a late start and take the time to put coffee in my Maple Leaf travel mug before I make the 5 minute trip to the river. Daylight has broken when I head to the river and if there is any anglers fishing the run where I am heading I will go elsewhere. As I see the run is vacant I continue on and on the way I see 2 rods walk by it, heading to their hot spot I guess.

I put on some steelhead bait with the usual bit of pink wool, slip off my back pack and put the coffee mug down too; I am planning to make this a leisurely trip as well as a short one.

I work through the run once, twice, working the run carefully before stopping to finish off the now luke warm coffee. A run above has been vacant so I head for a few casts there too but like the starting run no bites so back downstream I go, starting at the head of the run once again.
I can see about 10 or 12 anglers in view, all intent of coaxing a steelhead to grab their offering, to give them the thrill of a lifetime, maybe with a 20 pound bit of chrome.

I still have the original piece of bait on looking a bit pale and worse for wear. As I near the tail out I am just thinking, should put on a pro cured cooked ghost shrimp when the Maple Leaf Drennan dips; I strike but do not a feel anything solid. Was it bottom? No, with the depth I am fishing it should not be, unless it is a bit of a cut off branch from a beaver or snag that had drifted into the run overnight. One never knows for sure though. A couple of cast later the same scenario, I check the bait, its looks like it is maybe pulled down some. Next cast down goes the MLD again, I solidly set the hook and the possible snag has now turned into a head shaking steelhead. Once this fish feels the resistance and restraining order of my sage rod off it goes. It feels strong and larger than the 4 others that have come to hand so far this year. Line peels quickly and smoothly off the drum of the well worn and roe covered Grice and Young reel bought by my dad in England in the 80’s.

It uses the current to its advantage and heads to the other side of the run maybe seeking a bit of a snag overhanging the bank so it can wrap around it and snap the 8 pound test leader. I wonder at times how they know where these obstacles are. I keep it under control and in the run for maybe 5 minutes. I am getting it close to shore but another run takes it below the tail out. I have no choice but to let it have its way keeping the tension as tight as I dare as it easily swims through the ripples. I see it whole body for the first time, defiantly the biggest I have tangled with this season, my spine tingles.

I know what lies below, a nice place to land the fish in, is the advantage now mine? Another angler who has been working this spot even before I reached the river pulls in his line. We chat as I continue playing the fish, “missed two here so far, need a hand” he says. No that’s OK I say. The fish is co operating at first to stay in this deeper bit of water but it is back and forth action for 3 or 4 minutes. I am gaining and bring the steelhead in close enough view to see it is a hatchery buck that I estimate to be close to 14. The fish now feels the gravel on its stomach, in the shallows of the one foot deep backwater area and takes off again, a couple of times. I start to wonder as it twists and turns if the bought barbless hook will hold and I think back to the posts ssab and Hook posted about this subject last night.

I know the fish is tiring and it once again tries to use the current to its advantage but I maybe apply  more pressure than I should but a possible disaster lies below. A cut bank of sorts that could make a smooth landing difficult. I am testing the strength of the leader I know. My urging successfully does bring the fish up to the backwater area once again and I now easily slide the tired buck ashore, on the gradual slope reaching down to grab the wrist of the fish's tail, the steelhead now leaves the confines of the water.

With the license marked I am off to get a official weight at FCT and it comes in a bit over 13, I think it was 13.17 when converted from the metric scales to imperial measurement.

This ends an eventful week of steelhead fishing on the Vedder River with another week, another journal lays ahead, what it hold, who knows.

I do know how lucky we are to have such a great steelhead producing river practically at our doorsteps. Enjoy all what it all has to offer, to those that like to pursue this mighty sea going rainbow trout.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:53:05 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 09:52:36 PM »

Coming shortly, I guess I need to replace the logo it as it is a bit battered like its namesake. ;D

Much like his hockey team. ;D Sorry Chris, can't resist. ;D

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »

love the journal chris, nice fish, too!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »

I noticed in the picture it was on the ground...... Even if its a hatchery fish and your going to keep it you shouldnt have it on the ground its bad for the fish

yah; and it looks flossed too.  ::)

Hollis

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »

Was out on the flow Sunday, 0 for 3 so far this year. My son finally landed a nice 8lb doe, first steelhead ever. It sure made my day.
The Fish Wisperer

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »

Thanks for another great read Chris as I sat happilly munching my ham, tomato and sourdough bread sandwich for lunch, smiling at the magical way you weave the words together. A beautiful looking fish too, and you are so correct. We are all very lucky to live so close to world class fishing and just as lucky to have someone like you to paint stories for us and carry us away if only for a short time.
Maestro, the violin if you would. Music and an excellent story are always great for lunch. Thanks Chris.