Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: corkies for coho  (Read 17341 times)

Bandit420

Re: corkies for coho
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »

I started using corkies last year and have had success. fishing the vedder last year for steelhead, i put on a small lime green corky with a roe bag and landed a 10lb wild steelhead and 2 wild coho and this was in january. i only throw corkies on when the visibility is less than 3 feet.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »

Tks Electroman.... I've been fishing for over 40yrs.  but recently just moved to Mission.  First year fishing the Vedder.  I like to think of myself as a true sportsman and follow all the proper ediquette on the river.  It just burns me when I ask a valid question, and just because my approach differs someone elses they penn me as a flosser.  I've also used a single Jensen Egg with wool, but liked the look of the Corkie.  I wasn't aware that using them was frowned upon.

Too bad people just assume that if you're using corkies you are flossing.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 08:52:17 PM »

Tks Electroman.... I've been fishing for over 40yrs.  but recently just moved to Mission.  First year fishing the Vedder.  I like to think of myself as a true sportsman and follow all the proper ediquette on the river.  It just burns me when I ask a valid question, and just because my approach differs someone elses they penn me as a flosser.  I've also used a single Jensen Egg with wool, but liked the look of the Corkie.  I wasn't aware that using them was frowned upon.

Where were you from originally if you don't mind me asking?
Actions speak louder than words.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »

Like everyone has said they are best fished in higher water. I like them above roe too when the water is higher and dirtier. Add a corkie and your presentation is bigger and brighter. I have caught fish on just a plain corkie but those were steelhead and trout. I beg to differ on the wool vs jigs however, I have never been out fished by someone using wool when using jigs for chum. Not to say wool can't be effective but in my experience jigs can be deadly in all conditions. I love jigs for the lack of mess factor and they work for all salmoniod species. Sorry to get a bit off topic with that last bit of my post.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »

A corkie is usually used to float the line from hitting the bottom from any experience i have in bottom bouncing. had to dress it with woll. if you want to use a corkie, which is just a strike indicator for fly fishing basically, why don't you just use any jensen egg of any colour with a touch of any colour of wool.  after all jensen eggs are translucent and mimic an egg far more than a brightly painted Styrofoam floating ball.

i can understand a small corkie to help roe from snagging the bottom or dragging and losing it on rocks, but on its own? i just dont understand the logic in it.
Tight lines to all

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »

I didn't say wool would out fish jigs, just making the point that there are lots of different ways to catch fish outside of the FWR consensus of short floating roe and blades or jigs or you are a snagger. Coho hits lots of lures that don't really look exactly like something, how is a corky any different from a spoon? What does a jig look like? Who knows why they hit what they hit? Part of the fun is figuring it out and speculating. Is it always about catching the most amount of fish in the shortest amount of time? How many chum do you really need to hook before your arms drops off, if can you hook one every cast with a jig its not exactly challenging is it? Why not try something different, maybe you'll learn something.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »

A corkie is usually used to float the line from hitting the bottom from any experience i have in bottom bouncing. had to dress it with woll. if you want to use a corkie, which is just a strike indicator for fly fishing basically, why don't you just use any jensen egg of any colour with a touch of any colour of wool.  after all jensen eggs are translucent and mimic an egg far more than a brightly painted Styrofoam floating ball.

i can understand a small corkie to help roe from snagging the bottom or dragging and losing it on rocks, but on its own? i just dont understand the logic in it.

The logic is the fact that salmon are a lot more curious and territorial than they are hungry  ::) They are not biting an egg imitation because they actually think that it is a real salmon egg! the thing is a licorice smelling, sweet tasting, rubber ball the size of an egg.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »

18" leader, and 6" to 24" from float to swivel as well

This is a ridiculous statement! You are going to tell the guy approximately how deep to fish the entire Chilliwack/Vedder river?

Dave C. Dont worry about appearing to be a "super ethical" short floater! Just read the water and fish off bottom like you normally would. Short floating is simply fishing the appropriate depth for the water you are fishing.

Good luck with the corkies, I have caught a couple hoes on them. However in these conditions it is hard to get bit even on roe!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »

This is a ridiculous statement! You are going to tell the guy approximately how deep to fish the entire Chilliwack/Vedder river?

You beat me to it. I was like...WTF!? Then I just had a good laugh and went on. :D
As for corkies, they sure can be deadly in deeper water when fished properly. Peach, orange, off-white (glo) are some of my favs.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 05:48:23 AM »

Ok, yes, WTF am I thinking indeed. I was only able to get many coho to bite this weekend, and completely avoid chum and springs....but yes, wtf am I talking about?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »

This is how corkie can only be used. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8iz3u5_djU

All kidding aside, there's no doubt that float fishing with roe at the correct depth can be very effective, but that does not mean there are no other legit, effective ways of catching salmon in rivers. People should not dismiss other ideas or questions on other techniques by making the assumption flossing is intended. Salmon can be caught by casting lures, fly fishing at the correct depth and type of water, float fishing with artificials, even without a float in really deep water. The only behaviour that people should discourage is the intent to floss or snag fish. If someone is asking about the use of a particular method for triggering bites, show them the respect by answering the question. If you've never tried the method in question before, it's best not to immediately suggest that it is snagging.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »

Dave C. Dont worry about appearing to be a "super ethical" short floater! Just read the water and fish off bottom like you normally would. Short floating is simply fishing the appropriate depth for the water you are fishing.

Good luck with the corkies, I have caught a couple hoes on them. However in these conditions it is hard to get bit even on roe!

Yes have only hooked two adults on roe, both lost but the jacks have been biting very well on roe especially near dark and on the rising tide. Should just try a corkie and see if the bites continue. :D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »

Yes have only hooked two adults on roe, both lost but the jacks have been biting very well on roe especially near dark and on the rising tide. Should just try a corkie and see if the bites continue. :D

When the fish are on, the bite will happen regardless of whether you are using roe or artificial eggs, corkies or wool.
Please stop dismissing other presentations and pushing roe.

While roe, by nature, IS the most efficient bait for migrating salmon (especially coho), it is not the be all-end all of salmon fishing.

Here is a challenge for all of you goo chuckers: Try to catch a fish shortfloating wool or plastics and get back to us to report your success.
Stop feeding the fish and start fooling the fish into biting! :D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »

Chris, do you even fish with anything other than roe?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »

Chris, do you even fish with anything other than roe?
Seldom as I have trouble catching coho salmon as it is in the Vedder River using bait these days. ???

Not sure why it is now as in "The Old Days" before you were born I think, ;D we had no trouble catching them. Maybe it is partly due to he fact there is so many people out there thrashing the water the fish are so spooked they shy away from most offerings, even bait, especially in the clear water conditions we are experiencing.

I know The Master is even having some trouble getting them. ???

I know we should not be saying those that do not use bait or lures are flossing fish but many will agree there is a high percentage that are and some do not even know that they are. :o

Anyway have not fished for 2 days so going out there armed with my best roe hoping for my first adult coho salmon of the year. When I do you will hear about it. ;D ;D