Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garbage on upper Chilliwack river  (Read 3488 times)

roeman

Garbage on upper Chilliwack river
« on: March 08, 2008, 06:16:43 PM »

Just bought a new quad, wanted to go out and play so I went about 15 minutes past the hatchery to a place called Ford Mountain I think..  Absolutely amazing scenery with the low clouds and snow on the ground, mountains every where you look.  The only problem there were at least 40 -50 areas where there were very large camp fires and endless amounts of beer cans, beer bottles and shot gun shells every where.  These areas you would need a decent 4 x 4 to get to and the garbage left behind was a disgrace to know it was made by people who say they enjoy the outdoors.  It was the first time I was ever up that high on the river and obviously I will need to bring some plastic  bags for my next trip.  Other than the garbage the upper Chilliwack River is absolutely breath taking.  Can' wait to go back once more snow is gone and get a little higher up in the mountains... 
Cheers
Are you fishin or catchin

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Garbage on upper Chilliwack river
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »

Time to charge ATV'ers a tax for cleaning up after them.  Maybe then they will start policing themselves.

veddereject

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »

4x4ing and ATV'ing in the bush in my opinion is far from enjoying the outdoors....these individuals often being the culprits of littering about beer cans and ammunition shells are just abusing one of B.C.'s beautiful assets and should be shot.  Ever been up in the Salsbury/Kenyon Lake area near Mission??  Uncomprehensibly disgusting!!!!

roeman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:36:50 PM »

Sylvester road, back side of Mission was the destination for today. Wow, same disgusting outcome. Grow op dumping grounds, why don't they just dump the dirt and not leave the dirt in plastic bags??
Hundreds and hundreds of empty shot gun shells.
Two different locations same horrible reults.  I am surprised at what people are doing to BC's beatuiful landscape. 

Piranha

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

i was up to look at some lakes high up above Cascade Falls in mission and not much difference. Garbage everywhere. Millions of shot gun shells.
Don't the police know anything of what is going out there?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:46:17 PM »

Who is in charge of managing these lands?  I just read a story where either the US Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management successfully pressed charges against a couple Washington State guys who tore up a creek with their 4x4.  It resulted in jail time and significant fines.  Thanks to jerks like those 4x4 ers, we now have several areas now un accessible to motorized vehicles in Washington. 

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

4x4ing and ATV'ing in the bush in my opinion is far from enjoying the outdoors....these individuals often being the culprits of littering about beer cans and ammunition shells are just abusing one of B.C.'s beautiful assets and should be shot.  Ever been up in the Salsbury/Kenyon Lake area near Mission??  Uncomprehensibly disgusting!!!!

yes some of the people that use the backroads and wilderness areas to atv ,dirt bike and 4x4 do leave quite a pathetic mess,but not all people that use atv ,dirtbikes etc leave this kind of mess and damage to our forests,generalizing like this is like saying anyone who fishes is a snagger,there are regulations in place that govern the use of our forested area and backroads but its just like our fishing regs,there just is not enough enforcement of them to make a noticable differance.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 08:43:23 PM »

Who is in charge of managing these lands?  I just read a story where either the US Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management successfully pressed charges against a couple Washington State guys who tore up a creek with their 4x4.  It resulted in jail time and significant fines.  Thanks to jerks like those 4x4 ers, we now have several areas now un accessible to motorized vehicles in Washington. 
There was one conviction here in the Valley last year which was a $1,500 fine.

Garbage dumping goes on all along our rivers and even besides our well travelled roads. The bottom line is so many people do not care one little bit and some fishers are guilty too, just check along the Vedder Canal where people park, lots of garbage especially coffee cups. I hope a number from this forum will come out to the CVRCC's cleanup on April 5 as we will need lots of help to try and cleanup the mess that has accumulated since our last cleanup 6 months ago.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »

So unfortunate that for some people the brain is hardwired for being a self centered slob. I guess it would take to much effort to clean up after themselves. Or worse yet they know other people don't like nice looking wilderness being spoiled by garbage and vandilizm. We had one friend like that and after he didn't clean up his act no one would go with him anywhere. That guy lives on welfare these days. :-\ I guess it's a measure of what your made up of.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

yamadirt 426

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 10:50:59 PM »

Whenever I go dirtbiking I don't pack anything that would have to be tossed. Even if I did I wouldn't toss it. What exactly did you find to say that a Dirt Biker did this. Maybe it was a camper cause all campers litter. Maybe it was someone with a suv cause those jerks litter. I know you were generalizing but leave my dirt biking out of it.  ;) We got a bad name allready and the clubs i belong to hold just as many site cleanups as any fishing clubs. 

roeman

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »

I don't think it has anything to do with atv or dirt bikes.  There is no way to pack all this garbage in on a bike or atv.  Most likely some little pukes that have daddy's truck and out showing how much of a jerk they can be..

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »

roeman, the garbage pile-up that you saw on the Upper Chilliwack River is the result of the establishment of no overnight parking/camping regulation below the Chilliwack River hatchery. Unfortunately, instead of keeping potential violators away from the area, it simply pushes them further away to deeper woods. The river cleanups organized by CVRCC have also only focused on the river downstream from the hatchery, so unless staff from FVRD or other volunteers go in there to clean up, those pile-ups will remain there and accumulate.

Those who are concerned are welcome to attend the upcoming Chilliwack River cleanup on April 5th. If the volunteer number increases, perhaps the area being cleaned can be expanded in the future. It's also great to see the problem being recognized and cleanups being conducted by other groups across the Valley such as the ones yamadirt426 described. The only way to combat this growing problem is to work together as one group.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17318.0

The folks at Flybc are also doing a Sawmill Lake cleanup around the end of April:

http://www.flybc.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=8867

veddereject

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:52:16 PM »

Let's face it, as long as humans continue to encroach, the garbage will soon follow.  ATV'ers pointing fingers at anglers, anglers pointing fingers at 4x4er's and so on is futile and merely heightens the frustration of those that really do seem to care about our parks and forested retreats.  As an angler that visits the Vedder every year, unfortunately I can't always retrieve my line, swivel, float, lead and hook from the frothing waters after cutting free from a snag (another reason why I prefer flyfishing).  Most of us as anglers are guilty of even snipping our tag ends off at the shoreline, and one really needs to understand that there is no middle road when it comes to environmental impact.  Your either conscious of a fragile resource......or you're just a shotgun shell leavin, beer can tossin' piece of garbage wrapped in human skin!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 09:18:08 PM »

Let's face it, as long as humans continue to encroach, the garbage will soon follow. 

I don't believe this for a second!
People can be conscientious and can be taught to respect their living surroundings.
And those who voluntarily disregard the law can be punished.
Unfortunately the way we are going is nobody cares and it's nobody's business.
And there is no enforcement of the law and we are all preachers rather than teachers.
Do as I say, not as I do.