Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Chilliwack River hatchery marked coho salmon did you retain in fall 2010?

1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 112952 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer

excavation in the name of "flood control" is such a joke.  I'm surprised no one has taken them to task over this yet.  With that said, it's probably a good thing to keep this post up toward the top.  It's likely people will keep creating threads trying to get info on how close the runs are to coming in in numbers.   

Danube Boy

Excavation was in full swing today. Water conditions as everyone knows are gin clear and extremely low (at the Vedder Crossing, it looked like you could jump the river with a good running start - not that anyone should try it :o). Although rain is badly needed, there is still plenty of water for fish to move, which they have been doing.
Other than that, it sure was nice and peaceful out there; a true "calm before the storm."

Tee

As a few people have mentioned, water is very clear and low. The good news is there are a very few people fishing so I could have a run to myself. The bad news is there are still not many fish around.

The cool thing was I saw a few fish bolting through just behind be in less than a foot of water in the bright sun!
I only fish on days that end with "y".

CohoMan

• Old Timer

Went out for a couple hours and fished the lower part of the river.

Saw a almost spawned out red spring. He was still kinda moving around and on its last breathe.

Fished roe with one quick hit and nothing to pull back with...might be a trout.

Saw a few people moving around fishing but within 2 hours, almost everyone left.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....

I'm dying to hit the vedder for some coho's and white springs and jacks.. when do you guys think it would be good to start checking it out and chuckin some roe in the river?? I can't remember when i started going last year... Cannot stand the sockeye run any more!!! Want to get my center pin some more usage!!
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

lovethewater

should be good any day now, but you better chuck wool, as there is a bait ban on the river...

nosey

Bait ban on the Vedder???

lucky

• Old Timer

Now would be a great time to start checking it out, if you wait for an announcement to come over the internet you will be standing shoulder to shoulder in that spot off of #3 rd.  :D

Another thought for refreshing the memory, have a search through the old reports and see how the fishing was in previous years at this time.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

should be good any day now, but you better chuck wool, as there is a bait ban on the river...

bait ban on Vedder, I don't think so, wrong river { Fraser bait ban to all salmon fishing until one hour before sunrise Sunday October 12th }
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:38:46 AM by Bently »

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....

bait ban on Vedder, I don't think so, wrong river { Fraser bait ban to all salmon fishing until one hour before sunrise Sunday October 12th }

Agreed, i believe bait ban is only in the fraser.  Not the vedder?
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

BNF861

• Old Timer

I went out for a bit early this morning. Water still low and clear, the rain so far hasn't helped too much yet.

Third cast, I caught and released a chrome clipped Cultus lake sockeye.

Just as a reminder for some:
Cultus Lake sockeye salmon are endangered and usually enter the Chilliwack River in late summer so their run time overlaps with other fall salmon species. All sockeye salmon caught in the Chilliwack River are required to be released carefully. Please be aware of the difference between a coho and a sockeye salmon. Some Cultus Lake sockeye salmon are also missing their adipose fin. Read about it some more...

Nice to spend some time on the river before it gets busy. Unfortunately some of the sockeye overflow has already struck the vedder. Was short floating a run this morning when two people aprroched the run directly across from me, waded out and began fishing using bettys and 15ft leaders. I couldn't help but laugh when at first they casted out their 3oz or so betty and it just sat there, too heavy to bounce. They downsized their weight and stating bouncing. If there were any fish there, they would have been spooked so I colapsed my rod to move up river to another area. I politely mentioned that fish do actually bite in the clearer waters of the vedder and there is no reason to bottom bounce. They told me that they went to scale bar on the fraser in the morning and it was too busy so they were giving this spot a try because they had hooked springs there last year.

CohoMan

• Old Timer

That is so pathetic....I did not catch anything on Saturday but the serenity was priceless.

salmonlover

great read, very informative. only puzzling thing to me was...why anyone would proudly pose with maple leaf apparel :P

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

excavation in the name of "flood control" is such a joke.  I'm surprised no one has taken them to task over this yet.  With that said, it's probably a good thing to keep this post up toward the top.  It's likely people will keep creating threads trying to get info on how close the runs are to coming in in numbers.   
I took them to task on this at two Vedder River Management meetings I attended this year as a sub for Gwyn who could not attend. They did not like what questions I was asking including that a royalty be paid for fish habitat improvement for each cubic meter of gravel taken out.

When I asked at the second meeting to become a member of the committee they of course denied my request. ::)

I guess the only way to stop this madness from happening every two years is a court challenge for the distruction of fish habitat.

mistermongz

did a scouting mission on the vedder this weekend and yeah the river looks good but no luck on any Coho but had loads of fun with my fly rod on hand!
Fish on!!!