Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink salmon at the Capilano  (Read 11543 times)

pocketdrifter

Re: Pink salmon at the Capilano
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »

OK its a pink this time better it wasnt a summer steelhead. But people do need to learn how to identify a fish, its not that hard.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »

If pinks are in the Capilano, what are the odds they are also in other systems?  ie Seymour, Indian, Squamish, etc...
How many pairs of spawning salmon make a viable run? 
Could this possibly be the beginnings of an even year pink run in some systems on the mainland?

Pink salmon end up all over the place.

My Dad worked for DFO in the 60s & 70s and they attempted to start an even-year run in Jones creek.
2 years later they were working a fish wheel above Hope and caught some of the pinks from Jones there.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 08:45:20 PM »

Blade...your wrong, that pink wasnt a legal kill on the Cap.  

The regs read:  Unless otherwise stated in the table, the daily limit in all water of Region 2 is zero (0).   Now look at the limits for the cap:

Capilano River including tributaries
Coho Jan 01-Aug 31 4 hatchery fish per day, only 2 over 30cm. Sep 01-Dec 31 4 hatchery fish per day.
Chinook Jan 01-Dec 31 4 per day, only 1 over 62cm.

The absence of a limit for pinks, or chums for that matter, it mean a species is CLOSED to retention.  Now had pinks been open, I wouldn't have been critical.  Fact is they are CLOSED so this goes down in the books as just another illegal kill due to a misidentification...that specific issue needs to change especially considering its so easy to learn your species idnetification!  

BTW, comparing catch and release of sturgeon can not be compared to C&R on any salmonid...you know that, come one buddy!  Sturgeon are so incredibly hardy and tough that there is no comparison!

On the betties comment you made, I havent sold them for 5-6 years...didnt sell a single one this year...I used to be able to make a nice little some off of selling betties.  This summer due to the length, I probably could have easily grossed $2000.  But like I said I didnt sell a single one.  I stopped selling them when I started getting requests for 1oz which were being used on the Ved... so put that in your pipe and smoke it Blade! ;)  

Yes I think we need to reform sports fishing and reign in flossing (and improve species ident.) so while some may not find my position credible, I certainly have no problem justifying what I say and standing behind it.

i stand corrected...i was thinking saltchuck... for that, i apologize Gooey...but as a vet rod, you still need to tone down how you express yourself...regardless of how frustrating it can be..especially on this forum where you've been a long standing member.

ribolovac02

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 09:58:47 PM »

some people here need to get l... more often, or just relax with a few beers or something ;D ;Dwow

mykisscrazy

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »

Seen one or two pinks in the Harrison and one in Weaver Creek just before the spawning channel was opened (Tuesday to be exact)