Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hat  (Read 5273 times)

jacklam999

hat
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »

Just wonder why many people wear their hat while they are fishing, even though its not sunny. And im looking for a rain jacket that is 100% waterproof and keep warm also thats within a good price,any recommandation?

Thank you

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: hat
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »

Just wonder why many people wear their hat while they are fishing, even though its not sunny.

Thank you

My hat has saved my forehead and eyes from the tree branches several times when walking in the bushes along the river. Also, gives some extra protection in windy days. In general, I love my hats!!  :D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »

a. If it rains, the hood of your rain jacket will sit nicely over a baseball hat, giving you ample field of vision and keeping the rain off your face.
b. It keeps the head warm (especially for those of us who are follically challenged).
c. It is a nice place to hang your flies to dry.

Get a real Goretex jacket. Anything else sucks.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »

Today, in the pouring rain, I forgot my baseball hat. 

One main issue I had, as Milo said, was restricted field of vision and it bugged me.

dave c

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:40:23 PM »

b. It keeps the head warm (especially for those of us who are follically challenged).

LOL

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »

I've tried to be practical and practice mulit-use.. I have an excellent waterproof breathable rain jacket ... but I'm buying a fishing specific garment, a Goretex wading jacket ASAP. Likely a Simms because I KNOW I will catch more fish wearing it.

Fishawn

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:47:28 PM »

All of the above, plus my hair is #%%*ed up when I crawl out of bed at 4 in the morning!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

Just wonder why many people wear their hat while they are fishing, even though its not sunny. And im looking for a rain jacket that is 100% waterproof and keep warm also thats within a good price,any recommandation?

Thank you

Ha,ha it's a Canadian thing.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »

Thank you

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33905.0

100% waterproof breathable from Simms.  Layer another jacket or sweater underneath the rain shell for warmth as needed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:02:07 AM by Matt »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »

I dont think Im going fishing without my lucky hat...
also its shading my eyes and holding my polarized glasses.
Though they hold water and are cold. Much better when its very cold and wet is a wool toque.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:59:04 PM by leadbelly »

newb33

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »

Your hat question is very odd I always wear mine but odd question
Hello Hansen jackets from marks under 100 bucks and good I use mine for work and fishing

yakideath12

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »

wear hat to keep warm

Suther

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »

Wear hat 'cause I always wear a hat. Not always a ball cap, sometimes a fedora, sometimes a full-brim leather hat, crocodile dundee style. but always a hat.

As for jackets, I would suggest finding a decent 3-in-1 jacket, thats a waterproof shell with removeable fleece liner. That way, you get the best of all worlds - fleecy waterproof jacket when its cold and wet, or fleecy liner when its cold, or waterproof shell when its wet. I have a North 49 shell/fleece that is like 8 years old, and is still fantastic. I lost the fleece that came with it, but easily replaced it with another for dirt cheap.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »

how do you expect to catch anything without your lucky hat????? No hat no fish :(

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »

Where possible, I don't like wearing the hood on my rain jacket. Maybe I'm claustrophobic or paranoid, or both  ;D  but I lose my peripheral sight and hearing with the hood and I don't like not being aware of my surroundings.

In a steady rain, I like my oilskin Outback hat. Sheds rain like a ducks pitooty, keeps my face and neck dry, and I still have my peripheral senses about me.