Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: veddar sockeye...Please identify your catch!!!  (Read 11454 times)

slurpie

veddar sockeye...Please identify your catch!!!
« on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »

Seen two sockeye today at the veddar.  One released nicely and another in a cooler in the back of a proud fisherman.  He thought he had a coho because it was clipped.  When I told him it was a sockeye, he was verrrryyy sorry and uncomfortable about the mistaken ID.   It was an honest mistake!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: veddar sockeye...Please identify your catch!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »

I think you should have reported him .....   ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

shakespug

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:20:14 PM »

Not keeping the dead sockeye would be an honest mistake. That would have been reported in a heartbeat by me. >:(

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »

This has been talked about before, if you are unsure about what you have caught let it go. If I had witnessed it, I would have called it in.

mirak

• Afilal Freestyle Football
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »

really too bad seeing all of these almost exctinct sockeye run getting mistaken as cohos

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »

Ok if we arnt going to spend the time to learn what kind of fish are in the waters we are going to fish, then why dont we mark these endangered run of sockeye someway else? add a small tag to the dorsal, maybe clip the anal fin back, if that doesnt affect the fishes survival? Last year we found 5 clipped sockeye on the beach, 2 were clearly hook by an angler.
The Bigger The Better!

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:20 PM »

I think you should have reported him .....   ???

And then you think the DFO will dispatch a CO or something?? and if they do, would that fix the whole problem?

I personally believe that many of these individuals require some opportunities to educate themselves rather than paying $$ for a mistake that could have easily been prevented. The reality is that the current method of selling a fishing license with (or in most cases without) a copy of the Fishing Regulation provides minimal opportunity for educating a novice angler. Reporting individual incidents doesn't seem to make a significant difference. This system needs more checks and balances to ensure people take the responsibility of their actions.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:41:46 PM by RainbowMan »

Justin

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 11:33:41 PM »

Its to bad this continuously happens.  There are just to many anglers that don't have a clue what they are catching.  I think there needs to be some sort of testing that happens in order to be able to fish systems in BC.

Justin

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »

Well if the fisher person is computer literate, they could sit down at their computer and read the nontidal fishing regs for their area. Failing that how hard is it to ask for a copy of the regulations at your local fishing store. Personally, I am getting tired of lazy fisher people who can't take the time to read up on the regs, and not know what time they are allowed to legally fish on a body of water, whether or not their hook should be barbless, and who have no idea what they have caught. Listen folks, this is not rocket science, if I could find the time to read up on the regs, educate myself on the various salmon species, then anyone else can do it too. All it takes is a little bit of time and commitment.

BBarley

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 04:13:21 AM »

Right now is traditionally peak migration timing for the Cultus Lake sockeye judging by Sweltzer Creek fence counts in the past 10 years. Every fish counts for this run, be extra careful and don't drag your fish up on the rocks.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 07:17:21 AM »

I dont know...I spent many years trolling the ocean before river fishing...my fish id was strong before I ever hit a river.  These beaks killing socks on the vedder, thompson teelhead on the fraser, cuttthrout on the seymour (while target pinks), etc, etc. it kills me!  It happens all over the place, all the time...it has to change!

Ever hear of a guy shooting a F****** moose when he was hunting deer or a black bear when he had a grizzly tag?  NO...thats because CORE ensures a decent level of EDUCATION for individuals particapating in the sport.  We need a more rigorous liceing process if we ever expect any of this to change.

mr.p

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 07:46:54 AM »

Sad....and again why a test should be mandatory to obtain a license.  I actually can't think of very many other activities which give you a license without any testing.  Its ridiculous that anybody regardless of knowledge can go out and just buy a fishing license.  Don't know how many times i've seen guys fight a fish, pull it up onto shore, look at it for a minute then call somebody over and ask "can I keep".....  You should not be fishing if you cannot identify your catch!
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

anorden

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 08:12:11 AM »

You should not be fishing if you cannot identify your catch!

I have yet to find any good websites that take into account the dynamic color changes of migrating salmon after 2 years of looking. I have learned way more on the river than I ever will from a book.

And as for CORE and hunting... I read the book once, passed with 95% and still cant tell a white tail from a mule. So the system is clearly wrong.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »

And as for CORE and hunting... I read the book once, passed with 95% and still cant tell a white tail from a mule.

It's always easier if they are standing side by side......  ;D

Mule deer has the big ears, whitetail has the "whitetail"......  :D  Of course the antler formation is different as well.   

There, now you can go hunting with confidence!   ;D ;D

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[