Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinks  (Read 7259 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Pinks
« on: July 26, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »

Any pinks to report on the north shore yet... are they stacking up at Cates Park or the Seymour River..... Is now officially getting to be the end of july... where are they...
see ya on the river

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Pinks
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 07:50:04 PM »

Expect them to be two to three weeks late. I got a report from the Seatle Post last week, seems all our friends south of the border were getting concerned about their Salmon runs.  They were drawing blanks all over the sound and their fisheries department was close to closing the fishery, then the runs came in like gang busters three weeks late.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 09:06:06 PM »

As Newsman said, I think the pinks are going to be late. I've been out several times this month, have yet to see one pink.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 09:32:58 PM »

My first pinks came on July 29 two years ago.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 09:44:48 PM »

My buddy was just up at the mouth of the Indian River and said he saw a few rolling.... ???
Actions speak louder than words.

glycine

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 10:17:05 PM »

i tried at the mouth of seymour river yesterday...

no other fishers.

no jumping.

no running.

no bite.

even no seals...

and, lost my favorite rure.

Straight Runner

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 10:43:54 PM »

I talked to a guy yesterday who got 2 pinks in the salt around the Bell Buoy on Saturday.

tyee slayer

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 06:02:14 AM »

As Newsman said, I think the pinks are going to be late. I've been out several times this month, have yet to see one pink.

Saw the first two ive seen this year last weekend near gower point, where theres one, more are sure to follow.......i hope
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 03:24:15 PM »

They are coming. Consistent catches in test fisheries indicate the return number will be very good.

Nikko

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 04:53:26 PM »

Newbie here, sure have enjoyed lurking for a while and I've learned a fair bit about the local fishing. I've got a question about pinks, but first a bit of an intro:

Sport fished a lot up in Powell River and Delosation sound, but not for a few years
Sport fished a fair bit off Sidney BC, but not for a few years
Commercial fished most of the BC coast (gill netting and trolling), but not for a few years
I've been away from fishing for far too long.

I do know how to tie a knot :)

Living in North Van. for the last few years.

Man, have the sport fishing regs ever changed!

Have two boys (12 and 7) that have never caught a salmon...and it's high time that changed (shame on me).

Finally got a small (14') boat and have spent the spring getting it running properly after it's 6 year sleep in someones back yard. Mission accomlished. It runs like a top and while it's far from a deep water boat, it'll do just fine for the inside stuff.

I'm learning the waters of Indian Arm and am looking forward to the pinks I've heard so much about. I've managed to scrounge up a few mooching rods and spinning reels (and a good ole knuckle-buster!) and a mess of old buzz bombs and stingers etc... and even a net that so big I've named is "wishfull thinking". I'll be picking up new (15 lb) line tonight for the reels, I've pinched off all the barbs on all the old hooks and should be ready to go this weekend.

BUT.... With two young boys, long rods and a 14' boat, I was really hoping to keep the early casting lessons to a minimum. I've been reading about catching pinks and it seems most cast and retrieve (Buzzbombs, stingers, small spoons etc). I was hoping to go out and jig/mooch and keep the lures in the water, trying various depths.

Do I need to change my thinking?

Many thanks...and if you see a small turquoise boat out of Cates park that has cedar "Adarondack" style seats, that's me!

Nikko

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 05:35:38 PM »

Nikko, few years ago we had good success for pinks just by jigging a spoon or buzz bomb off a pier. We simply dropped the lure straight down, let it sink up to 15 feet below the surface, and quickly raised the rod, then lowered the rod so the lure would sink freely once again. Most of the time, we saw a small school of pinks (10 to 15 fish) gathering around the lure :o and one of them would be dumb enough to inhale it as the lure sank. ;D

The same technique can probably be used on the boat if you are able to find a school of pinks and sit directly on top of them?

Don't overkill with the gear, especially if the kids are using them. A shorter rod with a thinner handle is easier for them to use, less tiring too.

As for the boat etc, I'll leave others (sam salmon, fishersak, Fishin magician etc) to comment. :)

Nikko

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 05:42:51 PM »

Thx Rodney.

re: kids and rods. I forgot to mention that I have a couple of nice small (Fenwick) rods that I plan on "having handy" as well. But if I stand a chance of sucking a fish in through jigging, I think the kids can handle the larger gear. Your defintiion of jigging is exactly what I'm used to...maybe it'll work?

Or maybe I'll be starting casting lessons sooner than I though ;)

How long does this run usually last?

Nikko

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 05:55:15 PM »

If you got a couple of down riggers, pink fishing is simple.  (alternately use a diver of some sort)  The area around the fraser mouth (known as the banana( is very productive when the fish are in.  When I target pinks I only run 3 rods (trolling with a down rigger)  I use red or green flashers (prefer red for pinks) and pink hoochies.  I do not bother to stack rods for pinks because if you find them you WILL catch them.  I have had several situations where all 3 rods wil hit fish at the same time as we move over a school!! (That can be hectic with only 2 guys in the boat).  If the sockeye ever open, you will have a good chance of hooking one of them also with the same setup. (I like to run glow head pink hoochies when there is a chance of sockeye).  I launch at MacDonnald Beach and fish alot between the QA and T10 markers.  Good luck, see you out there.

Oh BTW when the pink are there they can be a pain.  They are soo agressive that it is difficult to get the gear down below them to the sockeye.  Good luck!!

Nikko

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 08:51:10 AM »

Well, my office overlooks the lower Fraser right in front of the Shelter Island marina and this morning, I see a lot of risers and the odd jumper. It wasn't like this yesterday!

Could it be?

Nikko

James

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »

When do pinks show up in the fraser(non tidal)/ derby reach , richmond area's ?