Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: back packs  (Read 6302 times)

mvelasco

back packs
« on: November 24, 2012, 01:54:57 AM »

Looking to keep my eyes peeled for a good backpack for winter. The Simms lines look appealing but I'm not too sure if I want to drop that much on a pack. Anybody else have experience with items from sportcheck or from elsewhere?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: back packs
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:14:54 AM »

don't waste your money on the name...back packs are a dime a dozen and you can find some great deals out there, depending on what style and functionality you're looking for.

http://sportsjunkies.com/

mvelasco

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »

Thanks for the store blayde. Definitely have to check it out. Looking for something to handle the winter months.

doja

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »

Thanks for the store blayde. Definitely have to check it out. Looking for something to handle the winter months.

Email me so I can get your number. Might just have a deal you may be interested in if looking for simms back packs...

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »

ask any backpacker and they will all say you get what you pay for . i was backpacking europe this summer with a gregory z55 and it is a very good backpack that can hold a few fish . while travelling ive seen other backpackers who are just in pure pain because they got  some cheap backpack with no back/arch support . i got mine on sale at mountain equipment  in north van with tax for $170  . see that store and sportchek

if your fishing journeys are not short and a bit of hike i recommend something quality
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:46:04 PM by kosanin kosher salt »

mko72

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »

Second.  Mountain Equipment Coop gives you a lot of bang for your buck in terms of getting a lot of pack for not that much money. 

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »

definitely get the right back pack that suits your need...however, by looking around you can save money and get great quality from outdoor consignment stores and sale items from mountain co op.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 01:20:16 AM »

I have a backpack from when I was in middle school, its 15 years old now and it holds all my gear/food I need for the day. I guess im just tooo cheap to buy a new one  :D
even has holes to drain water when its too rainy or when I have to chase down a fish. ::)
Tight lines to all

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:49 AM »

Most important thing for me is a well padded waist strap.

If the weather is wet I put a drybag inside.

Also have an umbrella holder thingamajig I rigged up which attaches to backpack so I can leave my tackle and misc items out and open while staying dry.

chronicfisher

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »

Usmc ilbe backpack.designed by arcteryx made by proper.they have a main bag and a smaller one depends on how much u plan on packing.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »

For years I used a muli-compartment pack from MEC. I love all the compartments, I can keep everything super organised. For summer and fall fishinh when the weather is beautiful this is my pack of choice. However for winter steelheading it sucks. In heavy rain eventually the entire pack is water logged I boughy a rain cover for it but honestlu it's such a pain takinh the cover on/off I decided to  invest in a waterproof pack. The only decent one around seems to be the Simms Rolltop. The main compartment is 100% waterproof which is what I wanted.

Careful with hippacks and other packs that look waterproof but do not have a rolltop closure. I bought the Simms Drycreek hippack thinking it was waterproof. After a few outings in heavy downpour I found out that the bag its self is (it has a rubbery coating) however the ZIPPER is only water RESISTANT. The result of this is the bag slowly filled up with water and saturated everything! I returned thr bag to where I bought it with no issues.

I would highly reccomend the roll top Simms. Yes it's pricey but the construction is top notch. I keep all my extra lures, line, clothing, food/thermos, etc in it. In my wading jacket I keep the bare essentials like my leaders, some extra lead, etc. It is a system that works for me. It nice to come home from fishing, open up the bag and everything is bone dry.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »

I'd recommend you get a good fishing vest, leave the back packs for hikers.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:50 PM »

Like a beer is going to taste good coming out of your fishing vest. :P Same goes for any lunch you bring along :P
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:28 PM »

Like a beer is going to taste good coming out of your fishing vest. :P Same goes for any lunch you bring along :P

LOL, I made a mistake of putting fish in it once.
Learned my lesson  ;D