Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any difference between how a wild or hatchery steelhead fights?  (Read 5114 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Any difference between how a wild or hatchery steelhead fights?
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »

I have caught my share of steelhead over the last 20 years and find it difficult to tell from the fight whether it is a wild or hatchery fish.

Some fisher people swear that they can tell. Sometimes the fight is so intense and in your mind you start thinking this has to be a wild fish but it ends up being a hatchery.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:28:14 PM by CohoMan »

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Any different between how a wild or hatchery steelhead fights?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:35 AM »

An old-timer once said: "Wait till you hook into a Thomson or Skeena wild fish.
Then you will know what wild steelhead means".
Still hoping.

As for the Vedder and Stamp fish...no difference from my limited personal experience.
It varies from fish to fish.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:52:54 AM by milo »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:17:30 AM »

The hatchery fish probably fight better because with the removal of the adipose there is less friction as they move through the water.....    :)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »

So scientific of you...lol!!!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »

I have quite honestly in the last 5 or so years found that MOST (not all) hatchery fish do fight less hard, generally giving just headshakes, and occasionally one or two jumps at most. Most of my wild fish go crazy and throw up multiple jumps and big time runs. I'd say I could guess around 80% of the time if it is wild or not before it hits the beach (dumb luck maybe?). Like I said though, could just be a mind set. They all had to go through the same obstacles and such.

Now comparing different rivers to each other. Thompson fish fight crazy, Gold river fish fight crazy, other island flows that have a long distance to travel with canyon water/other obstacles I find fight insane compared to Vedder, Stamp fish. To be honest I think Vedder fish fight like slugs compared to most other rivers, with exception to a few (had a couple really good fights this year).

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »

I think the question is more about what the fish has to have in its genes to make it to its spawning grounds for how strong it is. Every fish is different but I would rather catch a big wild fish, but I have a better question Does a hatchery fish know its not wild? lol
by the way Everyday. I love the gold

fisher man

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »

The hatchery fish probably fight better because with the removal of the adipose there is less friction as they move through the water.....    :)

you beat me to it! lol

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »

Ceteris Paribus there is no difference.

Of course a Thompson, Babine or Dean river fish will beat the living snot out of a C/V hatchery brat but you would expect the same thing of a wild C/V fish too.

Don't believe me though, I don't catch many fish, nor have I ever been to the Thompson, Skeena or Dean.
Actions speak louder than words.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »

This is a tough call as there are so many possible variables, the obvious few being water temperature, well rested or quickly migrating fish, fresh run and therefore metabolically fit or at the other end of the scale, closer to spawning, etc …  you are hooking.  Over 50 years of fishing the C-V  I've caught a lot more wild than hatchery steelhead so my opinion is obviously biased but my best memories are of wild fish.
Having said that a 13 lb hatchery female did herself proud this morning …

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 08:23:22 AM »

Ceteris Paribus there is no difference.

Of course a Thompson, Babine or Dean river fish will beat the living snot out of a C/V hatchery brat but you would expect the same thing of a wild C/V fish too.

Don't believe me though, I don't catch many fish, nor have I ever been to the Thompson, Skeena or Dean.

you post this everytime someone asks about steelhead, we get it, you dont catch fish
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: Any difference between how a wild or hatchery steelhead fights?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »

Skeena Sustat or Bulkley-Thompson aside as I feel that there is a difference pound for pound in both take and fight from those rivers, can't speak of the Dean as I have yet to have a go that one. :(

My experience is that where mixed stocks reside and where I have caught enough fish to have a reasonable sample in the same river to distinguish between the two.
 I have had many hatchery fish that have made a good account of themselves and also a fairly good number that were slugs. The rest were sort of middle of the road, fun but still not the one to marry :).  A ratio 10/75/15 A+/ B-/C.maybe?
Where as with wild fish, I have rarely found that I can distinguish between the two without first seeing them but in the fight it usually becomes apparent. with ratio's 20/70/10 A+/B+/C.Maybe?
 However, I also do not believe in using overly light tackle in order to give the angler the better experience or fight. I feel that we should be able to swiftly play a fish to hand, especially so when there is a possibility of hooking wild and or releasable fish.

edit to add

the grading of the satisfaction in catching fish or angling experience is a pretty subjective subject. Many variables will come into play, such as : mood , expectations, you name it,. Does catching a cracking fish bring you out of a slump, or does a less than expected performance put you in one, and does that effect your view of the over al fishery?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:00:43 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »

I have good and lousy fights with both wild and hatchery. 

yoda

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »

Ugh! why was this thread started!
you asked and answered your own question in the first two sentences ???
I did like allwaysfishin's scientific response as well ;D ;D

norton

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 08:38:16 PM »

there is no difference between h or w   . ive hooked and landed wild fish in the 1960s and 1970s before any hatchery fish were in the vedder. and ive hooked lots of hatchery fish since. there is no differance. alot depends on the individual fish , how big it is , river condition,  water temp. volume of water. if the fish has been on the move at time , when it was hooked, whether its been hooked before by someone else.  etc.  missing adipose fin doesnt meen didly, lol.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »

good points whats the difference in hooking a good condition 18lb'er and a slinky 18lb'er , what tackle , what skill level. who has actually tested the theory ? it all boils down to an opinion.

finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!