Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Question - Has anyone ever used flies with a bait-/spin-casting set-up?  (Read 3365 times)

Joe the Soccer Coach

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to ask such an odd question, but over the years, I always wondered if anyone has ever used flies on a bait-casting set-up? 

Has anyone had any luck?  I just thought of trying this on the Capilano, but I didn't want to look stupid. 

I have tons of flies - never used - I sold the fly rod set up to a friend. 

Any advice on how to incorporate these flies into my bait-/spin-casting set-up.  Would i use a split shot or just place it in the water?

Thanks,

Joe

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water

Hey good question,

I used the bead head nymphs and leeches on my spin setup until i got my fly rod. I would just cast it out as far as it would go then troll and strip out line with the drag right off onthe lakes. It worked pretty good most times. On the river you will want to have a bit more weight to cast and to get down in the flow to the fish near the bottom. Use small split shot about 8 to 10 inches from the hook/fly which will allow for a better and longer cast. You can also try fly bobbers ( get em at Army and Navy) which allow you cast without weight and it acts as a float as well. It pretty much allows a spin caster to fish flys like a drift setup would do. You can sort of dry fly this way too. Could add weight in conjuction with that as well as you can use quite a long leader from the bobber to the fly. Fly fishing purists will balk at these methods but who gives a munch........whatever gets ya fish.

Cand 8)T
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

adriaticum

• Old Timer

I've used just a wet fly with a spinning reel on lake.
I could cast pretty far with a 4lb test line. If you need faster sinking and longer cast tie a swivel 2-3 feet above the fly.
Trout can't resist a fly even if you hand feed them.
Mind you I did this back in October, now they just don't bite.
I also sometimes use just a hook at the end of the line with a piece of bread on it.

Joe the Soccer Coach

Excellent! 

Thank you everyone for all your advice!  I might try that on the Capilano, as I saw a lot  of coho get feisty when it started to get dark in the evening and the real flies were about.

Cheers,

Joe

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!

I remember a few years ago, I found a rather large fly laying on a rock and used it.

Lo and behold, I hooked into a nice steelie with it. Never experiemented with Cohos yet!!!

taffydoll

I have a float and fly rod!! nice action, I can't fly cast any more too hard on my elbow so I got the new spin cast rod.  Works real well with the bubble float and just add water for weight.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico

In remote lakes where you have to fish from the shore, those little casting bubbles (some take water for weight as mentioned above, and some are solid plastic) are really great to have.  If the fish are feeding on the surface, they work.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?

You can fish a fly I any method you would a worm. This goes back to my beaf with the elitests, they would like to have you believe that you can only fish a fly with tight loops and $3000 4wt fast action fly rod (sound familliar). The truth is you can fish a fly (emphasis on the words FISH A FLY) with every method out there, including a handline. Flies behind a gang troll or spinner work like a hot dam (just make sure you put a rubber band better the troll and leader for a shock absorber. Hey it's all about the fun right!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

NorthOk

You can fish a fly I any method you would a worm. This goes back to my beaf with the elitests, they would like to have you believe that you can only fish a fly with tight loops and $3000 4wt fast action fly rod (sound familliar). The truth is you can fish a fly (emphasis on the words FISH A FLY) with every method out there, including a handline. Flies behind a gang troll or spinner work like a hot dam (just make sure you put a rubber band better the troll and leader for a shock absorber. Hey it's all about the fun right!

Very well put newsman... i sent u an email buddy pm me if u didn't receive it my, email is clayton.ts@gmail.com ring any bells?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:42:58 PM by NorthOk »