Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead fishing  (Read 4067 times)

Julian

Steelhead fishing
« on: December 31, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »

Just getting into steelhead fishing. I would like some info in the set up and the procedures.

Thank you very much for your help. Thanks.

Julian

Re: Steelhead fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »

Awesome thanks for the links.

riptide

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »

What type of gear do you have ? If you were already setup to driftfish for coho ( 10'6" rod , levelwind or centerpin reel) you are 3/4 of the way there . A few slight  terminal tackle changes and you're fishing steelhead . Of course there is more to it than that but it's a good start . As mentioned above , lots of informative articles on this site . Steelhead will aggressively smash a spoon or spinner as well so keep that in mind  if you are setup to spincast . Fish of 1000 casts ...good luck , dress warm and get out on the river and start casting .
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

Julian

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 01:27:39 PM »

Just out of curiosity regarding the Vedder where is there some good spots to fish for steelhead. I picked up some 25g floats and some pink worm jigs. I hope that is a good start.

Humpy

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 01:41:18 PM »

Just out of curiosity regarding the Vedder where is there some good spots to fish for steelhead. I picked up some 25g floats and some pink worm jigs. I hope that is a good start.
Fish will be throughout the river, even where you think there aren't any fish. Cover lots of water to increase your odds.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Drewhill

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »

Nobody is going to give you spots in steelhead season, especially on a public forum. Like Humpy said, they could be anywhere.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 06:20:47 PM »

Get to know a few different presentations and areas to fish and learn them inside out.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 07:02:17 PM »

Right now it's about covering water. Learn the river, fish entire runs and what's in between. The Vedder is unique because of the volume of fisherman. Pay attention to the spot if you see a fish caught, if there was a fish there, there will be one there again.
Steelhead are stupid, it's just a matter crossing paths at the same time.
For me, by March, all I'm doing is checking out places I've caught fish or seen caught.
I caught last years first fish where I had seen somebody else catch one. Was at the same sunken stump this year to get my first as well.
Don't overlook riffles and tailouts. Steelhead will sit way back in the tailout when pressured and or move into the fast stuff. Don't forget pocket water. If you poke one and miss, leave it to rest and come back later. It'll be there. A lot of times steelhead will pair up, and sit in the same slot.
Hope this helps a little.