Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Roe questions  (Read 2531 times)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Some Roe questions
« on: October 10, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »

I rarely fish roe as its not allowed on most VI flows so i have a few questions. Im gonna hit some chum up in october in the chuck and was wondering whats the best way to do it. First question is do you keep it on ice after you clean the fish? 2.What is the prefered method for curing it do you add color? 3.How do you store it if you wont use it for a few months.4.How is chum roe for steel? Thanks if you can answer any ill do some research in the archives

fishfinder

Re: Some Roe questions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »

1. do you keep it on ice after you clean the fish

Put roe skeins into plastic bag/container. Keep it cool. Ice would be OK. Don't freeze it before curing it.

2. What is the prefered method for curing it do you add color

Procure. I use Double Hot red. Rodney has a write up on how to cure roe.

3. How do you store it if you wont use it for a few months

Cut skeins into 1 inch chunks and cover with borax. Place the chunks into plastic bag/container and store it in the freezer.

4. How is chum roe for steel

Excellent, but steel roe is the best for steel

Verdi

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:20:48 PM »

I like this one, I also like pro-cure but sometimes i find it burns the roe and makes it a little mushy..

://www.thefishingoddess.com/AngieEggCure_page.htm]www.thefishingoddess.com/AngieEggCure_page.htm]://www.thefishingoddess.com/AngieEggCure_page.htm

I use it natural with out color, i find the springs like the color roe thought better than natural.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:22:47 PM by Verdi »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:48:01 PM »

Saying that orange always outfishes red. Obviously she has never fish springs before  ::)  On another note, for Steelhead, NEVER dye your eggs, just broax them when you get home, they will work way better for some reason.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 06:54:30 PM by Every Day »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »

Every hoe, likes the roe.

I have never cured eggs, only rolled them in borax thoroughly and froze them. They end up just great,
I've also frozen pink roe straight out of the fish and then defrosted 10 months later and then boraxed it. They also ended up yummy. The fish told me  ;)

Since I use roe sacs I haven't had the need to do it, also I've seen guys with their fingers all purple and red for weeks. That scares me.

If you want to use just roe, you should cure it to get them firmer, if you want to tie roe sacs, just borax them well and be merry.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »

That Angie person is an idiot....

Opinions may differ, insults are unnecessary. Best to go back and edit the post please.

Kelly, I like to use Procure Double red hot colour on my roe. These days, I simply grab a container, put skeins of roe in it, sprinkle Procure all over the skeins. Shake them around a bit, allow them to sit for 30 minutes to an hour. I then place all skeins on a rack or newspaper to dry for up to 12 hours. Once dried to the firmness that I want, I like to use Gladwrap to wrap eacch skein up. The wrapped skeins are placed in a ziplock bag, then they go into the freezer. I take them out the night before I want to use them, open wrap up to allow skeins to air dry a bit overnight, then they are ready to be used in the morning. I've kept roe by using this method up to two years and they still work very well.

redside1

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »

roe will last many years if frozen in glasss canning jars. Remove all the air in the jar with a small burning peice of paper after you fill with roe. Ziplock bags are usually only good for a few months. If you try the glass canning jars, you will never go back to ziplocks.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »

I also like the pro cure red hot. 

Ive used it for all species and done well including steelhead. 

Dont worry about color to much, its the person fishing it that really counts. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »

I like to experiment.  I recommend using the "cure in a can" until you're comfortable with the process, then mix things up.  I know it's taboo, but a friend of mine has had more than one occasion when he's outfished other fleets in the service using banana extract of all things. 

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »

i have tried all sorts of coloring methods
even tried red jello one year  ::)
it all comes down to dry,dye,and freeze
but get all the air out of the bag,jar,can
or just like everything else it will freezer burn
 cnm