Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foul hook  (Read 12828 times)

bmynbr

Foul hook
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:31:15 PM »

I have a question about foul hooking, I thought that anything other than in the mouth going out was a foul hook, but I had a guy at the river today tell me that anything in front of the gills is legal.  Didn't seem right to me, but maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks, Dave

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Foul hook
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »

i was told by a DFO officer that anything forward the gills is legal  :-\ Im not sure whether to believe it or not though. so i just use the anywhere in the mouth "area" to be fair hooked. I have had fish mis-strike flies and get hooked into the skin above their nose or in the side of the face while fishing chronomids, so there is no way i pulled the fly into the fish constituting a foul hook.

I have also hooked a couple in the tail and one in the back fishing the exact same way. These foul hooks are cause when the fish goes to "stun" its prey before circling back to EAT IT!!! so just because you see your indicator twitch dont jerk it unless it goes completely under as it just may be a stun shot and you will end up missing the strike if you move the fly.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bmynbr

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:40:47 PM »

Cool, thanks.  Thats what I thought.  It doesn't seem right otherwise.  All you would have to do is have a long leader, and give a good yank at the end of every drift and sooner or later you'd get lucky :-\
Dave

bmynbr

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »

i was told by a DFO officer that anything forward the gills is legal  :-\
I need to go read the synopsis, because if a dfo says it is right it should be or he shouldn't be doing his job.  Not that I will be keeping one unless it is hooked legally.  I don't like fish, so unless it is hooked right and clean my mom can just buy it.
Dave

bmynbr

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:51:32 PM »

fishforever, thanks for saving me from going and finding my synopsis
Dave

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 07:02:09 PM »

FF - I know this rule out of the book thats why it didnt make sense to me the officer would tell me what he did  :-\ I dont keep as many fish as i used to now and will probably keep even less in the future. I only keep what me or my friends will consume and i always make sure the fish is spoken for before i kill it.

Thanks for putting up the bit from the Synopsis also  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 07:21:37 PM »

Anywhere other than the mouth is foul hooked.

bmynbr

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:39:41 PM »

You know come to think of it I wonder if he new and didn't care or if he just didn't know.  Because if he did knew and told me false info and I believed him I could get myself a fine.  If I see him again I am going to let him know, and hopefully he will stop keeping fish that are snagged.
Dave

square tail

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 08:38:09 AM »

have had a talk with the same guy on one river on the lowermainland and talked to a co and he said he was wrong have to be in the mouth. watched this person foul hook coho until one close to the head then he left right a way called co but the time he arrived this guy was long gone.
the tug is the drug

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »

fishing becoming more and more like hunting^^ just like when you shoot a deer

trying to get an accurate precision to the mouth instead of offering baits and wait for a bite
hardware == fish

fishfinder

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »

It's hard to believe that in the year 2008 we are still discussing this. If you cannot get a fish to bite fairly and must resort to hooking them elsewhere willfully or accidentally then you need to really change your tactics. What ever happened to sportsmanship and sense of fair play?

island boy

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 03:18:33 PM »

he could have been from south of the boarder. i think thats what their rules are. in washington.
you kill it, you clean it.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »

is it not specified in the regs?  why is this such a huge debate? 

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »

It can't be clearer, if you think about it.
If the fish is not hooked inside the mouth it's not legal.
Why, you ask?
Because there is no proof that it willingly took the bait, if it was hooked anywhere other than in the mouth.
You can foul hook a fish inside the mouth too, but the odds are against you.
Sport fishing is all about enticing the fish to bite.
So the intention is what matters.
I once hooked a dead 10 lb spring ithat was on the bottom of the river in the mouth.
Believe it or not.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:09:18 PM by adriaticum »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »

Again, what do the regs say?  Often times fish will strike and miss a bait, however, they're stung by the hook in the face.  But, if the regs say "inside the mouth only", which I seriously doubt they do, then it is "inside the mouth only".  The reason I doubt the regs say it is because people would be getting out the magnifying glass to see if the hook on the top of the gums is closer to the inside of the mouth then the outside of the mouth.