Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River/Drift Fishing Setup Ideas  (Read 7365 times)

salmonrook

Re: River/Drift Fishing Setup Ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 03:43:10 PM »

Shimano convergence 10 '6 rod from AN in langley ,with abugarcia bcx 6600 baitcaster reel will run you about 140-150 bucks total.
Its a good reliable setup .

bcguy

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »

#YUUUUPPPP!!

Picked up a brand new Abu 6601C4 the other day for $131 after taxes... Would've cost about the same to get it shipped to HoB (from Cabela's)...

Great deal on reels a couple weeks ago at Wholesale Sports, picked up a Shimano Calcutta 400 for $199.00, I think a little heavy for local Steelhead, but its going to be great for fall salmon this year.

And a 6601C4 and 12-20lb Convergence is a GREAT set up for lefties with decent quality and good price!!! One of the best all round values for entry level in my eyes. 8)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:20 AM »

Haha, cheers m8! I was in Do Sports the other day and the owner told me that 80% of the people coming in for Abus want a right-handed version. I'm a righty by nature (though I shoot a puck left) and have found that's my rod hand; that's where you need more of your strength and control, so why would you reel with it? My father picked up a 6500 ten years back and I've been using it here and there but it's always taken a bit of enjoyment out of the day for me.

I think the left-handed/right-handed thing comes down to who started you in fishing.
Old school BC fishermen always crank with their right hands -I think Islanders only came in right-hand version early on.
So, if you learned from an old guy, you probably reel with your right hand even if it could have been more comfortable the other way.

It makes even less sense when you are fly fishing since you have to switch hands when you hook a fish but that's the way it is.

I noticed most American and central Canada fishermen reel with their left hand.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »

I think the left-handed/right-handed thing comes down to who started you in fishing.
Old school BC fishermen always crank with their right hands -I think Islanders only came in right-hand version early on.
So, if you learned from an old guy, you probably reel with your right hand even if it could have been more comfortable the other way.

It makes even less sense when you are fly fishing since you have to switch hands when you hook a fish but that's the way it is.

I noticed most American and central Canada fishermen reel with their left hand.

Ive never understood why so many hold the rod with their reeling hand, not just fly fishing but baitcasters as well... Just seems a little clumsy to me but whatever gets the fish to the boat I guess.