Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Native fisheries  (Read 4051 times)

north

Native fisheries
« on: February 25, 2005, 11:24:51 PM »

I am just curious how many people on this forum buy fish from the natives or know someone who has? Do you blame the natives or the people buying the fish?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Native fisheries
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 11:39:07 PM »

Do you REALLY think that people is going to incriminate themselves ?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 05:22:32 AM »

i'm guilty of eating ONE native caught fish last summer. My boss brought it in for the work bbq and the asked me to dress it and cook it. I was at a total loss of words and didn't know what to do. I ended up dressing it and cooking it only after explaining to him the signifigance of where it came from.
Actions speak louder than words.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 06:14:28 AM »

I probably have many years ago.  When I didn't know better.

Oliver

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 06:34:13 AM »

When I used to snag (floss) fish on the Fraser I would ocasionally pick up fish or 2 from the natives if I was short on time or there were no fish around (usually due to the nets  ::) ).

To blame one is to blame the other. With out the buyers there is no call for the fish but with an influx of cheap, tasty fish it makes it hard for many people to say no, regardless of how or where they came from.

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 09:37:52 AM »

It's the same all over the country . Certain people think it is great to have a native bring them a fish for sale at a very low price . Have had many people brag to me about it as they wanted to try to embaras the Conservation Officer . They always made sure the evidence was all gone so I had nothing to take them to court . A large number of these were people who were in bars frequented by natives who wanted more money for refreshments
 It's a real hard thing to come to grips with and there are many small businesses that figure a few cheap fish from the natives helps the profit line . Some buyers will also take native caught fish and mix with others so its not just one fish at a time.We can discuss it ad nauseum but it will take many more enforcement  people than are available and many more like the members of this forum to make a dent in the problem.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 10:32:55 AM »

I have never bought any sockeye ever from a native or any where else but I have seen them selling them a couple times and have heard from people about certain sales events taking place. So it is something that does occur. 8)

Harps

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 12:18:55 PM »

I know of a family who purchased 100 sockeye (@ $10 a fish) from native fishermen last year.  I offered my opinions and was met with indifference. 

blueback

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 12:40:34 PM »

A freind of mine in the sport fishing industry tells me that a large part of the problem is with restaurants purcahsing low priced sockeye from native fishers. I personally, never buy from the natives, or eat fish in restaurants, or buy from the commercials (via grocery stores or directly) either. The only fish me and my family eat are the ones I catch myself.   

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »

Guy I know said his dad bought 16 of them @ $7 a piece. Also shared my opinion which was met with a level of shame.

Ive seen trucks selling sockeye at Island 22, and also saw a truck on the Gaglardi off ramp in Burnaby.

Between private sales and restaurants, it doesnt take long for a few thousand fish to get handed off and not one be eaten by natives or used for ceremonial purposes.

Who's to blame? Does the chicken or the egg come first?

Harps..100 fish...1000 bucks...not bad for a few hours work. It's lucrative!
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?