Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hundreds gather to Go Fish Rice Lake on June 15th 2008  (Read 1814 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Hundreds gather to Go Fish Rice Lake on June 15th 2008
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »

Go Fish Rice Lake in North Vancouver saw yet another record attendance due to the warm weather that we have experienced this weekend. Just minutes after the event started, all fishing rods, around 80, were loaned out to new angling enthusiasts. Each angler was allowed to try fishing on the pier for 20 minutes before returning the fishing rod. Other activities included flytying lessons, bug discovery, bear awareness activities, etc. Thanks to those who came by to say hi. I hope questions regarding different fisheries were fully answered, otherwise emails are always welcome. Despite of high angling pressure, only a few fish were caught, probably due to the warm sunny condition.

Other photos can be found at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/2008ricelake

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Re: Hundreds gather to Go Fish Rice Lake on June 15th 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:43:06 PM »

I was there. Fairly tough fishing conditions. I had a few very good hookups but I never landed a single fish.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 01:28:47 PM »

I was there too with my 7 year  old Nephew.    We started on the dock and after no luck there moved around the lake - it was pretty busy and hard to find a spot because the lake was so busy.   Moving around kept it interesting for him I think.

In spite of catching nothing my Nephew loved it and showed more persistence than I am capable of - I have a sneaking suspicion he has what it takes to be a fisherman :)

Anyway, my two cents worth, is events like this are worth attending even if the fishing opportunities are not great because there is lots of entertainment and the kids don't get bored.  Just taking the bucket to the water with a trout in it was a big thrill for my Nephew and a lot of the other kids there.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »

Anyway, my two cents worth, is events like this are worth attending even if the fishing opportunities are not great because there is lots of entertainment and the kids don't get bored.  Just taking the bucket to the water with a trout in it was a big thrill for my Nephew and a lot of the other kids there.

Absolutely. While catching a few at events such as this one would be nice, the goal is to ensure everyone who starts fishing are well informed after attending the event. If free, make sure you bring the nephew to the next one too:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=18039.0

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 06:41:06 AM »

Well that's good to know.  Thank you Rodney!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:35:56 PM »

Here is a better summary about the event from Matt at the hatchery.

First of all, a big thank you to all the volunteers that joined us on an amazing Father's Day for Go Fish Rice Lake!

Doug, Jan, Jenn, Ben, Glen, Julian, Paul, Alicia, Eric, Ebnen, Janet, Alysha, Olivia, Joe, Dave, Stephen and Lisa all did an amazing job. Thanks a lot!! I couldn't have done it without you guys.

This year's event was more than likely the biggest Go Fish Rice Lake ever. The weather couldn't have been any better. Estimated attendance was well over 2000 people and probably closer to 3000. The BBQ did an amazing amount of business and earned over $1000 for the Society and 170 new members joined the Society. The dock at Rice Lake was absolutely packed the entire day. Kids won a lot of great prizes and I didn't once see an unhappy face! In the end I think only two fish were caught but everyone had a really fun time trying!

Again, thanks to everyone that helped out! If you couldn't make it this year, be sure to sign up for next year's event. I promise a good time!

Next up for hatchery volunteering: Fin clipping! We'll start in about a month once the first coho are big enough.