Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you coming to Fish for the Future 2008?

Yes!
- 14 (70%)
No.
- 6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: July 13, 2008, 12:16:05 AM

Author Topic: Join us at Fish for the Future 2008 on July 12th! It's free!!!  (Read 7120 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I am pleased to announce that the 6th annual Fish for the Future will take place from 10:00am to 3:00pm on Saturday July 12th, 2008. This community event is a fantastic opportunity for parents to introduce fishing to their children, as well as an excuse for regular fishing fanatics to get together.

Fish for the Future is the only event taking place in British Columbia during the National Fishing Week. Its objectives are to promote fishing as a healthy, responsible outdoor activity and bring public awareness to wildlife conservation, watershed stewardship and habitat protection.

The event venue will once again be at the No. 2 Road Pier (London's Landing) in Steveston. This is a popular pit stop of the fast expanding network of bike trails in Richmond, so participants are welcome to pedal to the event. The nearby Shady Island is a bird refuge, so bring your camera for those waterfowls and birds of prey.

Activities & Exhibitions

I wasn't planning on expanding this year's event, but somehow we've ended up with an even longer list of activities/exhibitors for the event.

Let's go fishing
Fishing will be available throughout the event on both the pier and the floating dock. There are up to ten different types of fish that live in the waters at London's Landing - Peamouth chub, northern pikeminnow, redside shiner, shiner perch, sculpin, flounder, herring, bull trout, cutthroat trout, white sturgeon. Limited number of rods and reels can be borrowed on site. Juvenile tidal fishing licenses, bait, hook, weights will also be available.

Learn to Fish lessons
The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC will be doing ongoing learn to fish lessons throughout the event. Find out where you can go trout fishing in British Columbia from Natalie and Mike!

Flytying clinics
Ongoing flytying clinics and demonstrations will take place. Let the instructors guide you through your first fly and create your own afterward.

Flycasting clinics
If you are new to flyfishing, this is an opportunity for you to get started! Ongoing flycasting lessons will be available. The instructors will have rods available for practice, but you are also welcome to bring your own.

Birds of prey exhibition
OWL is an organization that takes care of injured birds of prey. Check out some of the most magnificent bird species in BC at the Birds of Prey tent. Find out the threats that they face in the wild and our urban world.

Juvenile salmon station
The Seymour Salmonid Society will be showcasing some juvenile coho salmon that have been raised at the hatchery. Let the experts tell you about the fascinating life of the pacific salmon and projects done on the Seymour River.

Discover a bug's life
Our rivers and lakes are populated with tiny aquatic insects. These make up the base of our food web. They are different in shape, size and colour. Pick up a magnifying glass and explore this unknown world.

White sturgeon station
White sturgeon is a relatively unknown species in the Fraser River. Find out more about its biology, the ongoing tagging program and fishing techniques from Randy Beck at Ultimate Sportfishing.

The fish station
At the fish station, there will be aquariums housed with common fish species from the Fraser River. You are welcome to bring your catch to the aquarium for observing before releasing them back into the river.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada info booth
Do you have a question about saltwater fishing in BC? Talk to one of the DFO officers to get all the information needed. Informative handouts such as salmon and rockfish ID cards will be available.

Burns Bog Conservation Society
Burns Bog is an important ecosystem in the Lower Fraser. Learn about it by taking part in some of the arts and crafts activities that are available.

Better living booth
Find out the importance of freshwater and healthy food such as wild salmon in our lives from the Council of Canadians.

The Estuarium Project
The Estuarium Project is a proposed educational centre for the Lower Fraser community. Find out more about it from the Fraser River Estuarium and Education Society.

TD Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup
Find out how you can set up a shoreline cleanup in your community during the National Cleanup Week on September 20th - 28th, 2008.

BC Hydro Powersmart
Conserving energy does not just save you money, but it is also beneficial to the planet. Find out ways you can conserve from the BC Hydro Powersmart Team.

Georgia Strait Alliance
They will be presenting some of their current projects at the event, including the green boating program, clean air and water campaign and closed containment salmon aquaculture campaign.

Contact Information

If you wish to be part of this event by becoming a volunteer, please let me know. There is no cost to take part in this event. Just show up with a big smile, expect to catch some fish and learn. Please note that no food or drinks will be sold on site due to city bylaws. There are picnic tables in shaded areas where you can enjoy your packed lunch. For more information, you can contact me at:

Rodney Hsu
info@fishingwithrod.com

Last year's event photos can be found on this page. I look forward to see everyone!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Join us at Fish for the Future 2008 on July 12th! It's free!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:20:03 AM »

We have the cleanup that day. ::) :'(

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 01:06:27 PM »

O man.... cleanup or this, Ill have to decide I guess, unless Im working  ::)

Buck_wife

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »

this beats picking up garbage any day!!!  ;)
But I shall now keep my mouth shut, otherwise the cleanup directors are not going to be very happy with me!! ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:52:27 PM »

Sorting garbage, or... :P

Volunteers are still needed (we need at least 3 or 4 helpers on the floating dock), email info@fishingwithrod.com if interested.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 07:19:31 AM »

Rodney, Do you still need help with the casting?

I thought I was going to be away, but it looks like I will be able to make it. My son can also help down on the dock by baiting rods for the kids and stuff.
We would be MORE than happy to come out and help again this year.

Let me know.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »

Hi Rick, that would be great. Jeff and you can always take turn on the flycasting, or you can do some flytying if you want. This year beside just having drop-in flycasting help, we should a couple of fixed/scheduled group flycasting demos.

The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC will run 30-minute learn to fish lessons once per hour during the event for the kids.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:51:54 PM »

If I can avoid the flu this year I will work the dock. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:08:53 PM »

Excellent, looking forward to see you again with dew worms and a few birdnests. :) Volunteer count on the floating dock is looking good... if anyone else wants to help out, please feel free to come as more volunteers are always better, to ease the work load on others. Thank you.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »

I just finalized this today. New to this year's event will be Georgia Strait Alliance, which will be presenting some of their current projects at the event, including the green boating program, clean air and water campaign and closed containment salmon aquaculture campaign.

Come on out and get informed.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »

Also new to this year's event, is Vancouver Aquarium's TD Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup. Come and find out how you can set up your community shoreline cleanup this September.

Because we are already expecting quite a large turnout this year, parking will be an issue as usual! Please carpool if you can, or if you live in Richmond, ride a bike down as the network of bike trails makes things very convenient. Volunteers, many of us are meeting at my place in the morning to carpool down to the pier. If you are interested in joining us, please let me know. info@fishingwithrod.com

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 05:03:13 PM »

If I can avoid the flu this year I will work the dock. ;D
Alright!!  Another Longshoreman with me :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 12:11:43 AM »

We are now two weeks away from the event. Here is a brief summary of what we are giving away to the kids on July 12th.

30 fishing rod/reel combos will be given away by the end of the day. I have hundreds of Powerbait sample packages sitting in my room right now that have to go, so please come and take them away from me. DFO has provided a couple hundred posters that also need to go to the kids. At the fish station this year, there are five different rockfish ID cards to be picked up, as well as a saltwater species photo guide, and pacific salmon key chains, stickers... Quite a few Ts and hats need to go too.

Both saltwater and freshwater regulation booklets will be available. Only juvenile saltwater licenses will be available at the event, but we'll have a stack of plastic license holders to give away.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »

Back up to the top. We are just over one week from the event.

FYI, in the past food and drink purchase has always been a problem at the event because there were no stores nearby. This has changed since last year as the area is now developing very fast. There are diners and cafes nearby, just a short walk from the event.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 07:59:28 AM »

I'm looking forward to it!  I may not have a camera with me this year though  :'(