Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Bear  (Read 8443 times)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Chilliwack River Bear
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »

rain into 8 bears today. 2 were the biggest blackies i have seen. ALL were different bears, and all in the same area. also one of them, a sow had her to cubs. went through 3 bangers today and popped the spray caps at least 4 times. bren can confirm this. absolutely insane. something has to be done, it is out of control. this seams to be a little more awkward then just getting ready for winter. 8 bears in the same area..common. btw, this was not the vedder

Fish most island rivers and this is a normal day. Fish the nitnat and you can see 8 at once. Attacks are still uncommon just use some common sense and there not ushually a problem.  Bears come down to the rivers in the fall for salmon same as people its nothing new. Every bear isnt going to maul you. I would say shoot an injured aggressive bear but otherwise just fish with them and if you dont want to then dont fish there. Haha reminds me of today we went hiking in banff and my buddy asks me if i called them to ask if there are bears or cougars. I couldnt help but laugh at him

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »

I don't get it..  ???
Why are people are for killing everything that interferes with their fishing  ???  ::)  If you arn't confertable around these bears then just leave, also why keep going back to the same 1 km stretch of river if you have seen 9 bears there already in the last 2 days. It doesnt' make any sense to me  :-\
I guess a fish is more important to you than your own life (assuming these bears are as agressive as you make it out to be). They were there long before you were.
Maybe all the crap we are doing to the enviroment is the reason this is happeneing. Less fish every year, warmer temperatures every year, and expanding population are pushing all sort of animals out of their homes and probably making them more hungry. Don't worry, in 20 or so years we wont have any more fish left and you wont need to go into their space to get mauled.

Give your head a shake.  ::)

I never stated that we were not comfortable around them, but to see 8 in a few hours same km stretch, all different bears is definately an very uncommon site for this area. Also, no more than an hour ago, just saw another sow and a cub. This is a bear I have never seen before. Cinnamon colour with a very small cubs.

Do you honestly want to know why we keep going back??? Stop assuming and thinking we are dumbasses, and definately do not tell us to give our heads a shake. We live on the river,. This is not some secluded area we are talking about. Once 11 bears come  down the river into neighbourhoods and peoples lives are endangered, something should be done. Maybe it doesnt make sense to you because you have never experienced or visited the area. Stop assuming and acting like mr know it all

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »

i hate to say it cody, shea, but if ur safety is in danger, then even if the spot is in ur back yard, fish somewhere else, i dont want to see u on the news, headlines "YOUNG TEEN, MAULED BEYOND RECOGNITION"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:21:56 PM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

OGrady

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 07:02:24 PM »

I never stated that we were not comfortable around them, but to see 8 in a few hours same km stretch, all different bears is definately an very uncommon site for this area. Also, no more than an hour ago, just saw another sow and a cub. This is a bear I have never seen before. Cinnamon colour with a very small cubs.

Do you honestly want to know why we keep going back??? Stop assuming and thinking we are dumbasses, and definately do not tell us to give our heads a shake. We live on the river,. This is not some secluded area we are talking about. Once 11 bears come  down the river into neighbourhoods and peoples lives are endangered, something should be done. Maybe it doesnt make sense to you because you have never experienced or visited the area. Stop assuming and acting like mr know it all
[/quote]

Agreed. The best we can do in situations like this is be procotionary. We have been. There is nothing we can do except what we have been doing. Your asumption that what we are trying to do is stupid, is unreasnable and insulting. We have bears on our streets and a few mins away on the river.

Don't assume u know everything about the situation

OGrady

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 07:03:01 PM »

i hate to say it cody, shea, but if ur safety is in danger, then even if the spot is in ur back yard, fish somewhere else, i dont want to see u on the news, headlines "YOUNG COQUITLAM TEEN, MAULED BEYOND RECOGNITION"

Sounds like somthing we are going to have to do

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 07:10:16 PM »

I never stated that we were not comfortable around them,

Stop assuming and acting like mr know it all

Haha you said you shot your bear bangers at 3 and had your bearspray ready 4 times but were comfortable? What do you do when your uncomfortable call an airstrike? But seriously the younger guys on the site are what makes it worth coming back

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »

....no more than an hour ago, just saw another sow and a cub. This is a bear I have never seen before. Cinnamon colour with a very small cubs.
The Cinnamon coloured Bears are coming down from Lindeman Lake area there's been number of sightings of them up there this year I've even seen photos on Clubtread.com

....Once 11 bears come  down the river into neighbourhoods and peoples lives are endangered, something should be done.....
You just don't get it do you?

There is no proof anyone is in any danger-you are acting like a scared little kid or a dumb clunk tourist-take your pick.

The only things that 'need to be done' is to secure all garbage, strip any remaining fruit from backyard trees and keep your pets inside.

The Bears will be gone soon enough there's no need for anyone to kill anything-if you phone the CO office they'll tell you exactly what I just posted.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »

I never stated that we were not comfortable around them,

Stop assuming and acting like mr know it all

Haha you said you shot your bear bangers at 3 and had your bearspray ready 4 times but were comfortable? What do you do when your uncomfortable call an airstrike? But seriously the younger guys on the site are what makes it worth coming back

That doesnt mean we were uncomfortable. They were shot far distances away, and the bear spray for the added security incase the bear bangers had a backfire on the bear.

May only be 16, definately not immature!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 07:29:31 PM »

....no more than an hour ago, just saw another sow and a cub. This is a bear I have never seen before. Cinnamon colour with a very small cubs.
The Cinnamon coloured Bears are coming down from Lindeman Lake area there's been number of sightings of them up there this year I've even seen photos on Clubtread.com

....Once 11 bears come  down the river into neighbourhoods and peoples lives are endangered, something should be done.....
You just don't get it do you?

There is no proof anyone is in any danger-you are acting like a scared little kid or a dumb clunk tourist-take your pick.

The only things that 'need to be done' is to secure all garbage, strip any remaining fruit from backyard trees and keep your pets inside.

The Bears will be gone soon enough there's no need for anyone to kill anything-if you phone the CO office they'll tell you exactly what I just posted.

I dont get it? Some of you should stop and think about this. This is another assumption from one of you. No proof? Earlier, I stated that 2 neighbours in the area had been severely mauled. Why does that not seem like a problem to some of you? (BTW, one of these stories was on Global News around mid August being broacasted for over a week on the woman's recovery). Our neighbourhood takes extra care in puting garbage away until the mornings, cleaning up, and so on and so forth.

Dont tell me I am acting like a scared little kid, or a dumb clunk tourist. I am only 16 and guarentee I am more immature than half of the people on this board.

I can't even believe that you can actually say that about me, who is the one that started this arguing?!?! I stated all the bears I have seen and then I get called dumb for going back? Well, considering there are over 100 car accidents, 5 fatal in B.C. a day, I guess we should all stop driving our cars. Not worth the risk ::) ::) ::)

People may continue to argue, and voice their opinions, but I have tried to make my point here and am done with this topic.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »

Some of the name callings are really unnecessary. As usual, this could be a good discussion if respects are shown by some individuals. Just because someone is younger, doesn't mean you have the right to belittle him or her. If someone is wrong, share your wisdom in a respectful manner.

Thread closed until we get a chance to go through each post.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 07:55:59 PM »

Cody if a bear is far off then there is no need to shoot a banger? If your thinking you might shoot it past the bear why shoot it? the bear will run towards you. Spray or shoot bangers if your in trouble not if you see a bear hangin out at the river. By the age thing i just meant all the young guys know it all it seems. Saying they know the patterns of whats normal in nature at their 16 lol. Im not much older so i cant say whats true either though