Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Dec. 22  (Read 5229 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Vedder River Dec. 22
« on: December 22, 2005, 02:17:15 PM »

Just looked at the river at 2 o'clock at Lickman Road. Conditions are not the greatest with visibility in the 14 inch range. May go out and poke around for the last two hours of daylight, if nothing else maybe find a couple of FA's drennan floats in a log jam. ;D ;D

Sure nice to be only 5 minutes from the river. :D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Vedder River Dec. 22
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 02:18:48 PM »

Do you think that the Upper is in a bit better shape??? It was yesterday!! :(
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 02:28:25 PM »

Do you think that the Upper is in a bit better shape??? It was yesterday!! :(
I would think so but it is close to 13 degrees out and I see the snow line is above the mountain tops. No rain for most of the day though, if it would hold off tonight it should be ok in the am.

Have pro cured up some more prawn tails, then I am going out as soon as they colour up. Even with the colour of the water now a steelhead will see it or smell it if it goes by him close enough. ;D ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 02:45:35 PM »

Have pro cured up some more prawn tails, then I am going out as soon as they colour up. Even with the colour of the water now a steelhead will see it or smell it if it goes by him close enough. ;D ;D

Chris, do you use raw prawns with the shell still on or those you see in shrimp rings with just the tail on or some other way. Thanks. I usually just use those big shrimp that are ready to be eaten.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:53:25 PM by Rodney »
weeeeeeeeeow!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 02:49:56 PM »

Chris, do you use raw prawns with the shell still on or those you see in shrimp rings with just the tail on or some other way. Thanks. I usually just use those big shrimp that are ready to be eaten.

Yes the prawn tails just with the tail on, just bought 2 packs for $12.99 at Safeway. Around 65 to 70 pieces per package.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:54:06 PM by Rodney »

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 03:16:41 PM »

if ya wanna get a lil crazy... i use the bigger tiger prawn tails, natural, but boiled for 30 secs in salted water. (coarse salt). i cut em in the middle just above where the shell ends , eat the end and save the tail, and i'll usually do up a dozen for a day. I stick em in jars with a generous helping of pro cures prawn oil. when i rig em i put a tiny bead and a small spin n glo above the prawn. all i can say is ..... deadly in any steelhead river i've used it

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 04:36:04 PM »

I went out to for the first time ever steelheading today, Of coarse by my self. I went to a local river and it the river looked to be in good condition so i started chucking everything i had and from spoons to roe to jigs. noting . so this guy shows up and says he got a nice 6 pound wild on a bubble gum worm down stream were i was fishing ,  then i thought to my why aren't i using a pink worm . So used it for a bit  and had no luck so i decide to pack up and try to my first steel another day. Like tomorrow

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 05:22:49 PM »

chris do you have a picture of these prawn tails? :)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 05:23:52 PM »

and sorry, but how would you rig them one? through the bait loop?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 05:28:02 PM »

and sorry, but how would you rig them one? through the bait loop?
I just thread them on. I have not figured how to up load photo's but I have a picture of a fish I got tonight. ;D I will take a picture of a prawn tail as well and send to Rodney to post for me so you can see what they look like.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 05:32:40 PM »

Is it still raining out there?  Water getting better or worse?? Good job on the fish Chris, I wonder what it is!!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 05:36:06 PM »

thanks alot chris

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »

BeakoBeGone... I just got in the door from walking the dog and to answer Big Steel's question - YES, it is coming down in sheets here in Sardis and it is really warm.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 05:43:46 PM »

BeakoBeGone... I just got in the door from walking the dog and to answer Big Steel's question - YES, it is coming down in sheets here in Sardis and it is really warm.
About time you joined up instead of lurking. ;D ;D

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 05:48:38 PM »

Look at me now!... I've almost got the master signing on too. I'm off tomorrow, are you fishing? CEJ and I need to find some water if it's fishable. WHERE? WHERE???
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown